Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

For those experienced with DJI and Evo (re: apps)

MitchNC

Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of videos about making money with drones. Obviously they all use DJI.
Are we Evo users missing out by not having all the software tools (like Litchi) that DJI users have?

I've watched many video about Dronebase missions and these guys basically hit a button and the drone does all the pano shots. They only spend a few minutes on a mission because they do several per day. And they all seem to use a Phantom.

Do you guys/ladies that are making money as a UAS pilot feel that a DJI drone is a necessity?

I believe that you do need a DJI drone.

If you are into surveying and mapping, having a Phantom is a must.
If you are in filming, having an Inspire is a must.
If you are into LIDAR, bridge inspections, Electric Tower inspection, you need a Matrice 200 or 600 series.

In their respective fields they are the best of the best. You will not find a drone that compares to them.

That being said, I use my Evo for work and I make money with it. It is my compact to go drone. If I don't require any complicated flying, I will go with the Evo, instead of the Phantom. If I am doing mapping or surveying, I will rely on my Phantom exclusively.

Note: This is my personal opinion, from what I've read and seen the industry has to offer and what others in the field use. I can only personally speak in the mapping/surveying field.

In the app department. DJI controls 80% of the current market and they have been around long enough to mature and allow other companies to work with their product. This is the reason why they are ahead with 3rd party softwares, whereas other companies are still catching up.

That's what I was afraid of.
I guess I'll get my 107 and see what gigs I can get. I don't have a problem spending $2k on another drone if it pays for itself. But the geo-fencing issue is the main reason I got the Evo instead of the Mavic 2 Pro.

Reactions: Blurflyer
That's what I was afraid of.
I guess I'll get my 107 and see what gigs I can get. I don't have a problem spending $2k on another drone if it pays for itself. But the geo-fencing issue is the main reason I got the Evo instead of the Mavic 2 Pro.
The Mavic is another Evo. It's doesn't excel in jobs, above the competition. It was intended to be a consumer drone for hobbyist. It is cheaper to build and more compact than the Phantom (closest in specs to the Mavic). What it does lack is the mechanical shutter for surveying and mapping, so you won't get data as precise.
As videography, pros use it as a supplement to better drones, when the more expensive drones can't fly.

If you plan to be a photographer, is the only scenario I can think of where the Mavic or Evo can shine.

Reactions: Nightbat2
The Mavic is another Evo. It's doesn't excel in jobs, above the competition. It was intended to be a consumer drone for hobbyist. It is cheaper to build and more compact than the Phantom (closest in specs to the Mavic). What it does lack is the mechanical shutter for surveying and mapping, so you won't get data as precise.
As videography, pros use it as a supplement to better drones, when the more expensive drones can't fly.

If you plan to be a photographer, is the only scenario I can think of where the Mavic or Evo can shine.
One other factor I find is that many companies wanting photographic jobs done get fixated on a “one inch” sensor, though I’m sure many who ask for it have no idea why, and no idea at all about the Evo’s camera capability.

One other factor I find is that many companies wanting photographic jobs done get fixated on a “one inch” sensor,

Back when I was a music composer clients would demand that I use ProTools as if they had a clue. I know what you're saying here.

And Ansia, thanks for being to-the-point.
I've been reading that mechanical shutter is a big deal for mapping.

At least the P4P isn't crazy expensive if it turns out I have to get one.

One other factor I find is that many companies wanting photographic jobs done get fixated on a “one inch” sensor, though I’m sure many who ask for it have no idea why, and no idea at all about the Evo’s camera capability.
The Evo uses a 1/2.3" sensor. The Mavic 2 Pro has a 1", but is unable to utilize the entire thing. Only the Typhoon H+ and Phantom 4 Pro have it and use it, that I know of.

I read somewhere because of overheating issues, but I'm not 100% sure, because I think it could have been the 4k 60 what caused overheating. I'll have to look into it.

Back when I was a music composer clients would demand that I use ProTools as if they had a clue. I know what you're saying here.

And Ansia, thanks for being to-the-point.
I've been reading that mechanical shutter is a big deal for mapping.

At least the P4P isn't crazy expensive if it turns out I have to get one.
@MitchNC Love the ProTools comment. I cranked out many an album with Steinberg Nuendo.
ProTools was a resource hog and everything was an "option". Nuendo had it all, other than a few necessary plugins, including the ability to create OMF files that cost $1,000 with ProTools.

The EVO has a great looking camera but clients get "BiG Lens syndrome". I have a Yuneec H480 hex with a Peau 3.97 lens that clients love because it is a bigger drone. I run both on projects and usually end up using the EVO footage. I predominantly use drone footage in video projects I'm doing which are usually just short cuts for a different angle of the scene. I do one project that is a progress documentation and always shoot the EVO. Here is a link to footage with the EVO Aurora Restoration Project
You can get work with the EVO if people "get it". Once they see the quality of the footage they tend to get it.

If you want to step up to a great looking camera and a bigger bird the Yuneec H920 shoots a Panasonic Lumix GH4 and has a 7" monitor built into the ST24 controller. It is a large drone with retractable landing gear and a 360 degree pan on the camera. You would end up spending closer to $3,000 with batteries etc. but it is a sold platform and Yuneec is supporting them again. Here is a link YUNH920
Jim

Last edited:
That Aurora footage is gorgeous.

Edit: How did you color-grade it? I'm new to that.

PS I'm an old Cakewalk guy. All the way back to 3.0, I think.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what benefits a 1" sensor has, but I can tell you that if I take the same photo with both drones, the Phantom's photo (although oversaturated) gives out more definition.

Another thing I have observed is the gimbal. The Evo's gimbal cannot keep up with high winds and causes the image to tilt. It's like the roll gimbal motor doewn't realize the entire drone is tilting due to high winds, which could affect your final product.

Reactions: macoman
That Aurora footage is gorgeous.

Edit: How did you color-grade it? I'm new to that.

PS I'm an old Cakewalk guy. All the way back to 3.0, I think.
@MitchNC Thanks. I didn't do much grading other than a simple proc amp in Premiere. Brought down the brightness and exposure and added a tiny bit of color saturation. It was an extremely bright day. I should have used at least an ND4 but shot it with clear glass.

PS I also used Cakewalk back in the midi craze days. It always drove me nuts as it would loose the settings from the previous sessions quite often. Once Korn did one of their albums in Nuendo I was sold!

Wow, I seriously thought you had to use a LUT to get that color. I'm doing something wrong.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel