Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying EVO with the monitor in the controller

netfolks2000

Reaction score
I'm a Mavic owner but have been admiring the EVO a while now simply because of the one feature I admire the most, the built-in monitor in the controller.
I have a few questions for you owners.
It appears to me that anytime the app in the phone used to fly the drone crashes you could probably quickly switch your control and monitoring of the video to the screen on the controller. THAT, to me, is a great security, knowing you can fly the drone directly from the controller, no matter the situation with your phone.
Do any of you have any experience with that? Have you ever lost the signal on the phone and just switched to the monitor on the controller? Isn't that a great option you have immediately at your disposal? Do you ever fly using just the monitor screen? Is is easy to switch from telemetry on the screen to video feed?
I keep waiting for a new drone with a bigger monitor in the controller but it doesn't seem to be on the horizon. Thanks for your input. (Tell me I need the EVO!!!) Or should I stay satisfied with my Mavic Platinum? Bottom line: Does your screen in the monitor give you a lot more confidence when flying? Have you ever lost that video as well? Thanks!!!!!

I'm a Mavic owner but have been admiring the EVO a while now simply because of the one feature I admire the most, the built-in monitor in the controller.
It appears to me that anytime the app in the phone used to fly the drone crashes you could probably quickly switch your control and monitoring of the video to the screen on the controller. THAT, to me, is a great security, knowing you can fly the drone directly from the controller, no matter the situation with your phone.
Do any of you have any experience with that? Have you ever lost the signal on the phone and just switched to the monitor on the controller? Isn't that a great option you have immediately at your disposal? Do you ever fly using just the monitor screen? Is is easy to switch from telemetry on the screen to video feed?
I keep waiting for a new drone with a bigger monitor in the controller but it doesn't seem to be on the horizon. Thanks for your input. (Tell me I need the EVO!!!) Or should I stay satisfied with my Mavic Platinum? Bottom line: Does your screen in the monitor give you a lot more confidence when flying? Have you ever lost that video as well? Thanks!!!!!

I was torn between the EVO and Mavic Pro both good and pretty equal. I didn't like DJI's forced NFZ software. I'm not spend the money to be co-owners with DJI. In my area there are several abandon private/local air strip - now hay and corn fields - that still are on the maps. So I went with the EVO. No regrets so far.

I have flow the EVO with both the app and just the controller. There is some minor difference between the two but nothing that is critical to me. Have never had the app on the iPhone fail during a flight. The screens are not a mirror of each other when both are used. The biggest advantage to me is that there is less setup time using just the controller.

I have flow the EVO with both the app and just the controller. There is some minor difference between the two but nothing that is critical to me. Have never had the app on the iPhone fail during a flight. The screens are not a mirror of each other when both are used. The biggest advantage to me is that there is less setup time using just the controller.
So how well are your autonomous flights with out a phone or tablet?

I fly the Evo FPV but when I get back close to the area where I am at I take off the goggles and disconnect the phone since they are together and just use the controller the rest of the way back and to land. I have never had a problem disconnecting the phone from the controller during flight. I do it all the time. Have a great day.

But how would you answer my questions about the controller monitor?

Once you disconnect the phone, on the controller there is a button which will switch to video. I have done that many times and it works great. The problem with the controller is that the video feed cannot be outputted to another hdmi device. The only device that can pick up the feed needs to run the app and that requires android or ios running. You will definitely not be using the screen for any long distance flights, its nice to have to orient yourself and take quick shot but actually flying the drone I do not recommend. The screen is small and its hard to see in bright sunlight. If the developers can come with a controller firmware update that would change it so that we can use Hdmi devices straight from the controller would be nice and would be a huge advantage.

The controller's screen is a 330 nits screen, vs a 450 nits iphone or a 1,000 nits crystal sky. So if you plan to fly under the sun, you will have a hard time.

The screen only loses signal if the Evo and controller disconnect from each other. When connected, it works great and other than using special flight modes, you will have the same options in the screen as you would using a phone.

Reactions: Madhungarian
autonomous flight requires the control devise, the RC is not capable of these alone.

The controller's screen is a 330 nits screen, vs a 450 nits iphone or a 1,000 nits crystal sky. So if you plan to fly under the sun, you will have a hard time.

The screen only loses signal if the Evo and controller disconnect from each other. When connected, it works great and other than using special flight modes, you will have the same options in the screen as you would using a phone.
Several other disadvantages to the controller screen.
1) No compass, meaning if you lose sight of the aircraft out of earshot, you won't know which direction to look for it, and if flying beyond VLOS, you won't know which direction to point the antennas to recover signal if signal is lost, and it gets lost a lot
2) No flight logs, so you won't know where to find your aircraft if it crashes or lands elsewhere for warranty or repair purposes
3) If signal is lost, FPV does not get restored when signal is restored and RTH begins, so if the app crashes, FPV may not be on the controller either
4) No access to Digital Zoom

Best used for a quick pop-up aerial look around within a few hundred feet, but not designed for practical use for any other purpose.

Reactions: TravisPNW

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blindhout