Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Flying Autel evo 2 from vehicle

bb7

Reaction score
Hi I would like to fly my Evo2 for the confines of my parked car, and I am wondering if there is anyway i can extend my antennas on the controller so I can place them on the roof of said vehicle.

The antennas cannot be dismantled or otherwise the radio must be opened and modified, which is equivalent to the pure and dry loss of the guarantee.
On the other hand, I think that like in many countries, the flight of a drone piloted from a car is strictly prohibited (no visual on the drone.
The only exception there is is piloting from a boat.

Reactions: advexure
The antennas cannot be dismantled or otherwise the radio must be opened and modified, which is equivalent to the pure and dry loss of the guarantee.
On the other hand, I think that like in many countries, the flight of a drone piloted from a car is strictly prohibited (no visual on the drone.
Hi thanks for taking time out to answer my question, but i was thinking if i was using Autels Live Deck that would cover line of site rule.

Hi thanks for taking time out to answer my question, but i was thinking if i was using Autels Live Deck that would cover line of site rule.
Sorry but any FPV is not considered line of site. If your car is parked and you have LOS its not a problem. Not sure about the laws in the US of A but here in Canada it is not legal to drive and fly and the same time. What do you have care and control of ???? you need to decide what you want to do. ;) car or drone

Reactions: advexure
You can fly from inside your parked car with out any problems. I have done it many times. It gets cold here and I am a lightweight. No need to modify the antennas they broadcast through glass. Keep the drone within the view from the windshield after you get out aways this covers a lot of area to fly in. Here is a video to demonstrate.

Reactions: bb7
You can fly from inside your parked car with out any problems. I have done it many times. It gets cold here and I am a lightweight. No need to modify the antennas they broadcast through glass. Keep the drone within the view from the windshield after you get out aways this covers a lot of area to fly in. Here is a video to demonstrate.
Thanks for taking time out to reply to me, the video is rather impressive ;)

Hi I would like to fly my Evo2 for the confines of my parked car, and I am wondering if there is anyway i can extend my antennas on the controller so I can place them on the roof of said vehicle.
With the Live Deck mounted on a tripod/stand and a super long HDMI cable into an external display, you can post the Live Deck several feet from your car while you sit inside with your RC so if for some reason you can't get a good signal with the RC, you may be able to see the camera a bit better using the Live Deck and display. However, according to the rules you still need to have visual line of sight of your drone. Be careful because anyone could easily claim sitting in your car and flying a drone is careless and a safety risk regardless.

Here in the USA you can pilot from a moving vehicle, so long as you maintain VLOS and fly in a "sparsely populated area", which means you cannot be driving the car at the same time you are flying. So long as you maintain visual from inside your stationary car when parked the only issue I can think of would be that you would have some signal degradation. For more on flying while in a moving vehicle, go HERE.

Reactions: verticalflyer
You can do it using Alientech Amplified Antenna + Car Extension - it's actually very cool - I have this setup. Fly from heated car in cold weather!

Here in the USA you can pilot from a moving vehicle, so long as you maintain VLOS and fly in a "sparsely populated area", which means you cannot be driving the car at the same time you are flying. So long as you maintain visual from inside your stationary car when parked the only issue I can think of would be that you would have some signal degradation. For more on flying while in a moving vehicle, go HERE.
question, does HERE apply to recreational pilots?

Just curious why you would want to sit in a car to fly the drone. For one, could you see the drone which of course is a requirement in the US.

This applies to Part 107 only.

Just curious why you would want to sit in a car to fly the drone. For one, could you see the drone which of course is a requirement in the US.
One reason is the winter temps dip down to 20F or lower - using the controller with gloves is hard - and touchscreen rarely works - without gloves, hands freeze. A person can maintain visual line of sight through their windshield - it's really no different than flying outside, sitting on a chair. In this case, the chair is inside a heated vehicle with visibility outside.

Reactions: rkyleh
One reason is the winter temps dip down to 20F or lower - using the controller with gloves is hard - and touchscreen rarely works - without gloves, hands freeze. A person can maintain visual line of sight through their windshield - it's really no different than flying outside, sitting on a chair. In this case, the chair is inside a heated vehicle with visibility outside.
Just be careful on those really cold days, the batteries can be very short lived if they get too cold. When I say short lived, I took off one time (Phantom 3) on full batteries, it had been in the back of my truck shell where it had apparently gotten as cold as the outside air temp and 30 seconds later it was trying to self land. If it is that cold, make sure your batteries do not start that cold. I think some of the DJI batteries are self warming these days, but not sure which ones.

Great point. Yes, I bought 3 of their self heating batteries for Mavic 2. They are the enterprise batteries but work with any Mavic 2.
I probably won’t risk it with the Evo 2, unsure of how it handles cold weather

First you need to open the remote (loose any warranty), remove old antennas and install new connectors instead. Check youtube, there are videos showing how to do it. I did install RP-SMA connectors and have better link with even cheap antennas borrowed from a router. Second, you can use extending cable to put antennas where you want. I haven't done this yet, but the idea is to put them on tripod and add two signal boosters. This way I may be able to get drone lower to the ground at long distance. Directed antennas also help in some cases. :)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bailey54