Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Firmware questions

mjbok

Reaction score
I downloaded the beta firmware and installed it.
I then attached a new battery and the Evo installed the old (current non beta) firmware.

I went out and flew it and it still has some horizon issues and I have a few questions:

Do batteries need to have firmware updated? If so how is this done?

How did the old firmware get loaded? In the beta it states it is impossible to roll back to older firmware.

I downloaded the beta firmware and installed it.
I then attached a new battery and the Evo installed the old (current non beta) firmware.

I went out and flew it and it still has some horizon issues and I have a few questions:

Do batteries need to have firmware updated? If so how is this done?

How did the old firmware get loaded? In the beta it states it is impossible to roll back to older firmware.
From my experience with the Spark, in order to update the FW on a battery it had to be installed on the A/C when I was doing the Spark FW update. So having 5 batteries for my Spark I needed to upgrade the FW on it 5 times, each time with a different battery installed. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but perhaps if you do the same for each battery you may get rid of the issue?

I actually installed the beta today and everything worked flawlessly, including the panning during orbit mode which was absolutely awful till the upgrade. To upgrade the firmware in each battery, you have to do the upgrade process with each battery. Since the EVO deletes the .bin file from the SD card after the upgrade, all you have to do is copy the firmware file again to the SD card each time. It will perform the upgrade automatically. That said, I'm not sure if the beta will do anything in terms of the batteries based on what Typhoon Charlie said above. But my assumption would be that it checks all firmware versions, and if one is out of date, it should update as needed. But that's just a guess.

from autel. Look at number 4

1. Make sure you power off both the aircraft and the remote controller to complete the update after the LCD indicates a successful update. Power back on and you are ready to fly.
2. Once the update is complete if any part of the update fails, power off the aircraft and remote controller and retry the firmware update.
3. Please note that various settings might be reset to factory defaults after the firmware update. Re-adjust your preferred settings after the update to suit your needs.
4. This firmware does not include a battery update.
5. You do not need to perform a compass calibration after the update unless prompted by the Explorer App or RC.
6. Once updated to the Beta firmware you will NOT be able to revert to the previous firmware version.
DOWNLOAD HERE
By downloading this firmware version you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions

What’s New
1. Optimized gimbal performance. Improved YAW smoothness
2. Improved flight stability and wind resistance in normal mode
3. Improved accuracy of flight data on the remote controller display
4. Bug fixes

Reactions: skimcoat
from autel. Look at number 4

1. Make sure you power off both the aircraft and the remote controller to complete the update after the LCD indicates a successful update. Power back on and you are ready to fly.
2. Once the update is complete if any part of the update fails, power off the aircraft and remote controller and retry the firmware update.
3. Please note that various settings might be reset to factory defaults after the firmware update. Re-adjust your preferred settings after the update to suit your needs.
4. This firmware does not include a battery update.
5. You do not need to perform a compass calibration after the update unless prompted by the Explorer App or RC.
6. Once updated to the Beta firmware you will NOT be able to revert to the previous firmware version.
DOWNLOAD HERE
By downloading this firmware version you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions

What’s New
1. Optimized gimbal performance. Improved YAW smoothness
2. Improved flight stability and wind resistance in normal mode
3. Improved accuracy of flight data on the remote controller display
4. Bug fixes

Hey Charlie, I hope you didn't misunderstand my post as disagreeing with you. I was only explaining to the OP how to upgrade the firmware and also stating that I wasn't sure if when upgrading, even if there was no battery upgrade included in a particular firmware version, the system might notice that the battery was behind in upgrades and would just bring it up to the latest available, even if not from the current one. I think that would be the case since the firmware .bin file contains an entire firmware flash. Apologies if I came across in an inappropriate manner at all.

No worry, I posted that because there seem to be some confusion as to whether there was a battery update included in the beta. I understood what you were saying.

Thanks for all the info.
One question if I may,
My battery version shows 1.16 by this should I assume my battery is up to date and doesn't need to be upgraded ?

Many Thanks,

Norm

OK, I haven't been tracking a beta update. For iPhone, do we have to upgrade through TestFlight, or as suggested above, do we add a .bin file to the Evo's SD card?

Second question: I bought a new battery for my Evo but there's been no prompt to update battery the battery firmware. Is there a way to force the battery to update?

iPhone Autel Evo is out of beta and available from the App Store. Delete the beta and d/l and install final

iPhone Autel Evo is out of beta and available from the App Store. Delete the beta and d/l and install final

Yes, did that long ago. The above thread is from this week. Since the original beta went away in July, I assumed they were talking about a new beta.

Are you battery numbers the same as they are in this picture? If so no need to update..

View attachment 2724

Hey, thanks for the screen grab. One of my batteries is not up-to-date, but also my gimbal is v0.1.0.9. My flight control is v0.0.1.80, which I believe is not the latest. I've suspected my firmware is not up-to-date, but I get no notice to upgrade, and I see no way to force upgrade. I've turned everything on and waited for the update notice for like ten minutes, but nothing. Any idea as to how to force upgrade? Using iPhone.

Last edited:
OK, so this was a good drill. Answered all my upgrade questions. So, my firmware was all up to date after all, except my one battery. Augustine, your gimbal firmware was more advanced than mine because you are in the beta program. So what is new for me is that to upgrade a new battery, you need to manually update all the firmware, and the battery is updated during that process. And each time you add a new battery, you must manually update all the firmware using the .bin file on the SD card. Seems a bit cumbersome, but not onerous. I did see the new beta program on the download page, so I joined and updated to the new beta firmware, which also brought my new battery up to date as well. Last weekend I went flying around and had horrible camera tilt, probably the worst I've experienced to date. And that was with the latest non-beta firmware and after gimbal calibration. I've learned to get around the camera tilt in post, but maybe this new beta upgrade will kill the tilt once and for all. Thanks all for great feedback!

Regarding the Firmware Beta Program: just curious if I am reading correctly the section on terms and responsibility. If I understand this correctly, Autel is basically saying that if you crash/damage the EVO and were using Beta firmware , AND even if the problem was caused by buggy Beta FW, Autel is basically voiding your warranty and you, the owner get to pay for the repair/replacement costs.

Shoving all the risk of testing FW onto the owner of the product is a convenient way to get no-risk-to-Autel testing performed...

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen