Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Finally crashed..O boy.

Bulldoggboyz

Reaction score
Well...After 30 or so flights on my Evo dubbed "Agent Orange", I finally had an operator mishap that resulted in a crash of sorts. :confused: I decided I was going to sit in my lawn chair and fly across the street to the little kid who lives over there and gets a kick out of the drone. So I completely misjudged the edge of the roof from about 50 yards away, and clipped the edge of the capping, flipping the Evo on it's side right inside the roof line. :oops: Luckily my neighbor had a 20' ladder for me to climb up and get it. It scuffed up the props a bit but didn't look bad otherwise...UNTIL I went to fly it again! Of course I just wanted to see if it was working right, so I put it back up right away. O man, this thing was all over the place! Wouldn't hover for anything and was drifting bad...Like literally flying away drifting. Then it started going in small circles and wouldn't respond to the RC. I rebooted it and boldly tried again...it had a mind of it's own again. Luckily I had enough sense to keep it close and low to keep control the best I could. My Hubsan H-501s would do the circle thing sometimes before it tried to fly off, so I kind of knew I had a problem. Long story longer, I wound up re-installing the firmware and re-calibrating everything, then finished off with the compass cal before I tried one last time. Apparently it worked and "AO" is now rock solid again. What a big dummy I am! Get comfortable and take it for granted for 2 mins and BAM! SMH. :rolleyes:

Bout the same, side swiped a bush tree and fell from about 15-20ft. Mine didn’t go through the crazy mess of all that, but it is still flawless after recalibration of course and I’m so happy to own the evo with its tankness

I would say re-calibrating everything solved your problem and the reinstall firmware was not necessary or do you think it was?

I think we have all done this, don't be to hard on yourself, it's part of the learning curve & pushing the limits sometimes.

I would say re-calibrating everything solved your problem and the reinstall firmware was not necessary or do you think it was?

I first tried re-calibrating the compass and stuff but it was still trying to fly away on me and was not reacting properly to the input from the sticks. So in my case i'd say YES, it was neccessary and definitely solved the issues.

I think we have all done this, don't be to hard on yourself, it's part of the learning curve & pushing the limits sometimes.

I'm not beating myself up too much, but the stupidity of it is what gets me. LOL! It's not like I'm a rookie or anything, so after a few years flying without crashing, I guess I'm more stunned than anything else. Live and learn!

I'm not beating myself up too much, but the stupidity of it is what gets me. LOL! It's not like I'm a rookie or anything, so after a few years flying without crashing, I guess I'm more stunned than anything else. Live and learn!

The only time I have crashed any of my drones I was buzzing the dogs. Usually only takes about 5 minutes or less and WHAM - but it happens every time LOL

Just a small point about "circling" or "toilet bowling"...this is caused by the Compass either not working or totally out of calibration.
Glad you got it sorted!

Be sure to replace your props.

I did indeed replace them, albeit they only looked a bit scuffed. My main concern was the silver roof coating on them. I figured the metal in the roof coating could be an issue.

Just a small point about "circling" or "toilet bowling"...this is caused by the Compass either not working or totally out of calibration.
Glad you got it sorted!

Yes..."Toilet bowling". I had forgotten that term, being as I haven't had my Hubsan in the air for a year or so. That thing was notorious for TB'ing and then flying off. LMAO!

Get your wife's fingernail file and touch up the props to remove the scuffs. Don't use a course file but the very fine grit files used to polish nails.

Get your wife's fingernail file and touch up the props to remove the scuffs. Don't use a course file but the very fine grit files used to polish nails.

What makes you think I don't have my own finger nail buffy file thing? LMAO! I saved 2 of the props as spares, as they were barely touched. I replaced all 4 for piece of mind. for $10.00 I will just buy some more. It might be time for me to invest in those hideous looking prop guards. Ughhh!

What makes you think I don't have my own finger nail buffy file thing? LMAO! I saved 2 of the props as spares, as they were barely touched. I replaced all 4 for piece of mind. for $10.00 I will just buy some more. It might be time for me to invest in those hideous looking prop guards. Ughhh!

Good move on replacing the props. Buying new props is one heck of a lot cheaper then having a prop fail at 200 feet in the air. Thats called being a responsible pilot.

Good move on replacing the props. Buying new props is one heck of a lot cheaper then having a prop fail at 200 feet in the air. Thats called being a responsible pilot.

I agree...I actually ordered the prop guards today, along with 2 new sets of props from Autel. I figured WTH it can't hurt having the guards. Besides, they might actually come in handy for hand catching mishaps, flying indoors, etc.

well....I just joined the crash club....it was a bright day out and i could barely see the image and i wasnt paying attention and I crashed into a tree limb...I was really lucky because it was inches from running water in a creek and could of gone in the water...the only problem was the battery popped off and the cover came loose...changed batteries and flew it with no problems....

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials