Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Explorer App Evo II

DadCorso80

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on keeping the app from crashing while using the Evo II? While in flight, it freezes up and then restarts my phone.

Never had an issue using it with the EVO I. Even tried the old phone and the darn thing crashed but didn't shut it down completely. I have a new phone (Pixel 4 XL) and have uninstalled and disabled all junk apps not needed that I can think of.

I am going to change the USB settings to see if that'll help. I haven't tried a new cord and guess it could be that, but it's the brand new one that was included with the drone. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app as well.

Any settings or suggestions are welcome.

Curious if this fixed your issue? Just received my EVO 2 Pro Bundle and I have a Pixel 3 XL. The app (v1.1.5.3) freezes then causes the phone to hang, then reboot.

A bit frustrating after shelling out a lot of money.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, also made sure to update both batteries (whether it's required or not) and changed some of my USB settings. It's worked great on my older Pixel, haven't tried the Pixel 4 yet with it. There is more discussion here:Using the App Evo 2 . Screen freezes up for 2 to 20 sec likely an app update to correct this as others have installed previous app versions and don't experience the issues anymore.

Last edited:
Sounds like a pixel issue. P3 here on an E2P, crashes several times during a normal flight. I have an old LG I might give a go with when the weather clears to test.

I reached out and contacted support and in short they basically said;

Uninstall/Install/Clear Cache (Autel Explorer App) - did not make a difference

I provided them a couple of links to this site with the Android issue but they have come back with;

No one else has contacted them, no one else is having the issue, developers seem to believe it is a Pixel 3 issue because of hardware problems.

I am starting to roll my eyes ... I am a Principal Systems Engineer with 30+ years of electronics and systems under my belt - kind of feel like I am being snowballed as they say "try another device"... well, I tried another Pixel 3 as that is all I had and had the same issues. Reading some of his responses I take it he is not reading much into mine as he is asking questions he could answer himself if he read my email. Starting to get frustrating... but, the old app works.

Here are the email threads and I apologize in advanced for the formatting but this is how it pasted;

--- LATEST REPLY FROM ME -----

Taylor,

Did you read the links below? It is not isolated to the Pixel 3 as a Samsung Galaxy 8 and a Note 9 was having the same issue - read what is being reported on the AutelPilots forums please.

There is another user in the forum who said they contacted Autel support.

Why does the older Autel Explorer v1.3.9 application work flawlessly with the Pixel 3?

Why does other applications work on my Pixel 3 XL with zero issues? I have never heard of the Pixel 3 having hardware issues; I have owned mine for almost 2 years with zero issues!

There is a reason the new application is causing the O/S to crash versus the old application working flawlessly.

Let me know what you find out - will post the email thread in the Autel Pilots forums to get some feedback.

Thank you,

c-

--- [email protected] wrote:

Hello Craig,

Thank you for following up! We have had no other reports of this issue, but were made aware by our development team that the Pixel 3 is facing many issues due to hardware with numerous applications. It is a possibility that the issues you're experiencing with our application are caused by the Pixel 3 hardware. We have had no other reports of this issue on any other android device. If you have any other devices available to you we recommend using them.

Best,

Taylor B.

Customer Support Representative
[email protected]
AUTEL ROBOTICS
www.AutelRobotics.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
On Mon, 22 Jun at 11:26 AM , Craig <craig@> wrote:
Any update with the problem?
Tried another Android this weekend, pixel 3 and had the same issue

Get BlueMail for Android

On Jun 18, 2020, at 8:19 PM, Craig LeValley <craig@l> wrote:
v 1.1.5.3 freezes then crashes.

I do not have another Android device to test with.

People are complaining in forums;

Explorer App Evo II

Using the App Evo 2 . Screen freezes up for 2 to 20 sec/

I got the idea to use the previous app from the forums.

Get BlueMail for Android
On Jun 18, 2020, at 6:37 PM, Taylor James Baker < [email protected]> wrote:
Hello Craig,

Can you tell me what version of the app you were previously using that was giving you the issue? Additionally if you have any additional android devices that you can test this issue with please let us know the results. We have not had any other reported issues with the Android App crashing on devices.

Best,

Taylor B.

[email protected]

AUTEL ROBOTICS
www.AutelRobotics.com

On Thu, 18 Jun at 3:13 PM , Craig <craig@> wrote:
Didn't make a difference, it locks up after 20-30 seconds. I can continue to fly controller only and when I land the phone reboots.

I updated the firmware manually from the SD card and it asked to do it again when I installed the new version of Autel Explorer. I've cleared cache and removed/installed - clear cache and data about 3x - all hangs and crashes my Android

I loaded Autel Explorer v1.3.9 and it works with zero issues.

Get BlueMail for Android

On Jun 17, 2020, at 3:04 PM, Taylor James Baker < [email protected]> wrote:

Hello Craig,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear about this issue, can you please clear the cache and uninstall and reinstall the App?

Best,

Taylor B.

[email protected]

AUTEL ROBOTICS
www.AutelRobotics.com

I had some initial promising results enabling USB Debugging in Developer Options. I'll do some more testing tonight or this weekend but it might be worth while for others test as well.

I will do the same this weekend.

I did receive a reply and they asked if anyone is experiencing the problem with Autel Explorer and Android to email them. I encourage everyone to do so.

Hello Craig,

Thanks for following up, if additional users are experiencing difficulties with our app version please have them contact [email protected] for assistance. I've forwarded the information you've provided to our development team to review.

Best,

Taylor B.

[email protected]
AUTEL ROBOTICS
www.AutelRobotics.com

Reactions: PingSpike
I've had similar experiences using the Pixel 3. And what I discovered is that the phone was overheated. In the three instances this happened, the phone had either been left in the holder on my van's dash in the hot sun, or in my clothes, close to my body, then attached to the remote. When attempting to fly in hot weather, the app crashed shortly after takeoff and then restarted the phone, as well. I didn't put it together until I noted that the third time it happened, the overheat warning icon was displayed at the top of the phone... it had been there the first time, but I didn't think anything about it, because it went away. My ProClip phone holder is right above one of the dash AC vents. So I've been sure to have the AC on max with the phone in the holder for a at least ten minutes before each flight, so that the phone's back is very cold to the touch. After adopting this procedure, the problem has not reoccurred since... even on the hottest of days.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d