Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO RTK V1 300 ACRE

jmason702

Reaction score
300-acre map using RS2 as ground Base
No CPs or GCPs as it was almost impossible due to a major highway crossing middle ground and so much housing development etc...
Can not show full features but can show reports from PIX and DD.

325ft AGL, .95 GSD, 12 MPH, 75 front, 65 side overlap
Lost fix to float for about 20 photos...

Thoughts please? always find it hard to read PIX as I am so used to DD

The client seemed very happy, a BIM and GIS company
They wanted the deliverable in.ECW format not sure what that is, so I sent the GeoTIFF ortho and DTM

all comments are welcome, and what is an ECW file type?

Attachments

• piX 1.jpg
    piX 1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 29
  • PIX 2.jpg
    PIX 2.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DD1.jpg
    DD1.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 25
ECW is a proprietary image format with compression that makes viewing large images in GIS easier since it is quicker to render. You would need a licensed product to export this format such as Global Mapper.. if they have GIS people they should be able to convert the geotiff to ECW.

Reactions: jmason702
ECW is a proprietary image format with compression that makes viewing large images in GIS easier since it is quicker to render. You would need a licensed product to export this format such as Global Mapper.. if they have GIS people they should be able to convert the geotiff to ECW.
Thank you, yeah, I don't have money in my bid to buy the software. Also, the client emailed saying he likes the final product (1 of 3) but there is some distortion.
I will post a view only, Not worried about you guys seeing it) There is a Lil in a place or two but quite normal, please feel free to comment on the ortho quality, and would a double cross hatch clean this up in your opinion.

12 MPH, single-pass, 75/65 overlap, 325 AGL, 300 Acres
Anything you guys think I can do to make map quality better? I know 300 Acres is a hell of a lot! Just thoughts, please.
These guys could lead to alot more work.

ALSO!!! Is anyone in Salt Lake City UT with an RTK drone? I need to sub out a job there, I have KML file, Please PM me

Anything you guys think I can do to make map quality better? I know 300 Acres is a hell of a lot! Just thoughts, please.
Depends on what their primary concern is with the data. If they want it to look nice above all else, then a cross hatch with slight obliques will make it better. If they want the topography as accurate as possible, then a ton of obliques could make it worse.

Depends on what their primary concern is with the data. If they want it to look nice above all else, then a cross hatch with slight obliques will make it better. If they want the topography as accurate as possible, then a ton of obliques could make it worse.
Well, it seems they want the ortho to look perfect and be accurate. (it is a lot to ask for in 300 acres I know )
What would you fly a 300-acre sight at to make the best of both? For example an 80-degree pitch on camera? instead of 90... double cross hatch?
Thank you for your reply!

Well, it seems they want the ortho to look perfect and be accurate. (it is a lot to ask for in 300 acres I know )
What would you fly a 300-acre sight at to make the best of both? For example an 80-degree pitch on camera? instead of 90... double cross hatch?
Also in August, they are sending someone out to take GCPs, I told them I could do it but did not like my price. So I said the RTK drone itself should perform well

6 INCH RSME is pretty good for 300 acres, just my opinion
My theory is an 80-degree pitch on camera, 75/65 overlap should yield good results, a single or double cross is my concern on what to do, and a double on 300 acres is extreme... your thoughts would be great! not holding anything to you of course...
@elphtrooper

My theory is an 80-degree pitch on camera, 75/65 overlap should yield good results, a single or double cross is my concern on what to do, and a double on 300 acres is extreme... your thoughts would be great! not holding anything to you of course...
@elphtrooper
75/65 @300ft AGL seems fine to me. Like @Dave Pitman said it all depends on their final use. BIM needs to be pretty and GIS needs to be globally accurate but not necessarily relatively accurate to our standards. If they are ok with 5-7cm relative then a 75/65 with a 75deg camera should do the trick. Modeling settings are usually a 65deg gimbal pitch but you are going to be way up there and will already be getting distortion, especially towards the horizon. If there are standalone structures then you could always do a quick strafing/crabbing run around them separately and sharpen up the building quite a bit. Of course this is me with no knowledge of the client and little to nothing about the site configuration.

Thank you, @Dave Pitman and @elphtrooper - Yes the guy was kinda skimpy on the details... the more questions I asked the more he just agreed with me as I thoughts this was more of a terrain map including the surrounding structures.
75% and a cross-hatch, and maybe a couple of orbits around structures are what he needs.
300 acres is a lot with all of this, I will have to hit them up about the extra detailed work.
Thanks again!

Thank you, @Dave Pitman and @elphtrooper - Yes the guy was kinda skimpy on the details... the more questions I asked the more he just agreed with me as I thoughts this was more of a terrain map including the surrounding structures.
75% and a cross-hatch, and maybe a couple of orbits around structures are what he needs.
300 acres is a lot with all of this, I will have to hit them up about the extra detailed work.
Thanks again!
If you are going to the length to do a crosshatch then you might think about 2 separate flights. One in Nadir and a second perpendicular to the 1st with a 75deg gimbal pitch. Just a single grid flight of the obliques. This is how we do our larger projects with vertical structures. If they just want pretty good then a single grid oblique could even be good enough but I would up the front lap to 80%. This is how DroneBase does it and it's good enough for allot of their customers. The major factor for me is the purpose. There is a pretty significant difference in the way we approach Architectural projects vs Engineering and/or Surveying.

If they need more then I would still isolate keys details manually. I did a Major Walmart distribution facility where they wanted down to dock level details in between trucks. It took 12 separate flights, pretty much 6 areas times two. Oblique and nadir. Basically what the Smart oblique does on the M300 with P1. I would have added manuals but that wasn't in the budget. It was fun keeping 6 batteries recharging on the fly!

So the first mission was a nadir 90 down single pass 75/ 65, processed with DD. do you think I can do what you just mentioned ( a 75-degree flight in the opposing direction to the first flight), then just add those photos to the already processed map in DD? Think it will process out well?
I never have yet to add photos to a flight that I already processed... Thanks

So the first mission was a nadir 90 down single pass 75/ 65, processed with DD. do you think I can do what you just mentioned ( a 75-degree flight in the opposing direction to the first flight), then just add those photos to the already processed map in DD? Think it will process out well?
I never have yet to add photos to a flight that I already processed... Thanks
Yes, one nadir and one half of an oblique crosshatch. I like the idea of perpendicular to the site but keep in mind the direction of the faces of the structures and try to align the oblique flight perpendicular to them all as best you can then plan your nadir perpendicular to that. You should be able to upload all the images at once. For testing purposes I sometimes process each flight independently and the two combined just for learning purposes. ;)

Yes, one nadir and one half of an oblique crosshatch. I like the idea of perpendicular to the site but keep in mind the direction of the faces of the structures and try to align the oblique flight perpendicular to them all as best you can then plan your nadir perpendicular to that. You should be able to upload all the images at once. For testing purposes I sometimes process each flight independently and the two combined just for learning purposes. ;)
you get your new drone yet? if so how is she?

First fly a hatch in nadir then fly a 20 degree offset hatch with an 85 degree camera pitch for camera lens calibration and accuracy. A handful of physical control points will also help. Make sure your client knows the difference between a model and an orthophoto as well. If they want a model you'll have to do obliques to get the model looking nice. For your flight, it's best to fly during full cloud coverage as long as the clouds are high enough. This limits shadow distortions in the orthophoto, especially on large sites as those shadows will move during the passes. Also minimal wind if there are trees and objects that sway in the wind. However, this is way overkill for most projects but if you want to impress the client...

Double cross hatch would likely help. You may also consider flying nadir and a cross hatch with a slightly tilted camera (5 degrees off of nadir) to help the program figure out the corners better, I believe in Pix4D you'll need to switch some settings to do this better though.

300-acre map using RS2 as ground Base
No CPs or GCPs as it was almost impossible due to a major highway crossing middle ground and so much housing development etc...
Can not show full features but can show reports from PIX and DD.

325ft AGL, .95 GSD, 12 MPH, 75 front, 65 side overlap
Lost fix to float for about 20 photos...

Thoughts please? always find it hard to read PIX as I am so used to DD

The client seemed very happy, a BIM and GIS company
They wanted the deliverable in.ECW format not sure what that is, so I sent the GeoTIFF ortho and DTM

all comments are welcome, and what is an ECW file type?
ECW Format

I use Global Mapper as my GIS application. It supports ECW format.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d