Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO ll Issues Thread

dronographer

Reaction score
I thought it might be useful for owners to have one thread for discussing issues with the new series EVO drones. I have seen comments all over the place as these are being delivered and it is difficult to follow them all. As Autel reads the forum it may make it easier for them to become aware of what owners perceive as glitches, real or imagined, and incorporate into future firmware updates where possible. It is also a great way to have owner devised work arounds, in one place.

1- 10 bit color video issue shooting Log in 4k. So far people are only seeing 8k bit depth in their metadata files. This is a HUGE issue but Autel informed me they are well aware and working to understand and remedy the problem. As M2P offers 10 bit with an earlier series of this chipset we know the capability is there in the hardware.

2- Ditto the "5.5k@60fps" listed on P24 of the aircraft manual, that is a typo according to AutelSupport which we knew, as it would exceed bandwidth. This is not an issue, typos happen, but people should be made aware.

3-Reported drift to left in Ludicrous Mode while flying into a headwind (Youtube Rant). This seems to be improved in the latest firmware upgrade by a couple accounts, and as few people shoot video at top speed in a headwind, does not seem to me to be a real issue but YMMV.

As any new product like this will be improved as time goes on let's try to keep it practical and appreciative of the fact we have this drone platform with interchangeable cameras, and a company one can actually call and speak with. If we can keep it useful hopefully the thread will not become locked.

Last edited:
Let me start with one "none issue" that is a bit of an annoyance. So far at three different take off locations and for all my 8 flights so far, I get a GPS warning to pay attention when returning home as location may not be accurate. This is a bit anxiety producing on a new and expensive drone, but each time I did have the green "Safe to Fly" banner on my phone. Each time the EVO II returned accurately to home. When I spoke to Support I was told it just means the number of satellites locked onto is not the desired maximum, and if the Safe to Fly banner was present, not to worry. Well my other drones either give me satellite lock achieved or not achieved notices and have never had a problem at these locations. So, if it is Safe to Fly, why notify me? As I said so far the RTH landings are accurate. How many satellite locks are really needed? It is kind of unnerving, I will try other locations to see if I can achieve reception good enough to not trigger the GPS warning but so far it is three for three different locations. It makes me feel the GPS reception is not so good which is unlikely. Maybe it can be tweaked to more accurately reflect when RTH accuracy will actually be impaired, as I said no problems in that respect. This is my first Autel product so it makes sense there will be different design philosophy's.

Last edited:
Reactions: mixchief
Not sure if Autel actually reads the forums until something is brought to their attention. There is already a post about the 10 bit problem and I hope this will not explode into the same Autel bashing thread the others have become. I will let this run and see where it goes but if it gets out of hand like the others it will also be shut down.

I installed latest firmware 2.2.3. and was wondering how to get the bottom lights to turn on to strobe. I have the latest app [ April 21 2020] In the app you have 3 settings for the bottom lights. off/open/auto. Open turns the lights on. Would anyone know how this works?

For the GPS warning I have seen the same issue if I start it up and try to fly it quickly. If you give it a little more time it will get more sats and if a return to home is needed, it will be more accurate. DJI is similar but no warning. If you return to land after a quick take off it will not be a precision landing.

I get your point however I do not think lumping everything together in one thread makes any sense. Separate threads with a descriptive title makes it much easier for readers to search for and focus in on information specific to any issues they might have without having to drill down through numerous other posts with unrelated content. Sort of how these types of forums work. :)

Hi!
My 2 Eurocents :)

-10 Bit:
Would sure be nice to have YAY, but only if the additional new 2 Bits contain more than noise, otherwise POOF the higher number in itself means not much, benn there, done that...

-Gimbal cover:
HORROR. First thing i did before even switching it on was to cut something ugly from leftover foam. Works, is attached in 1 sec... PHEW.

-Ludicrous vs. Headwind:
Heavy winds here (up to 50 km/h), i was zooming in and out with the latest FW without any problem.
LATER i read here about loosing Altitude and tilting. I did update to the latest FW before first flight so either i have been lucky or the new FW fixed something. GOOD as i was flying FAST at 1,5m above ground.

-GPS Warning:
Had this every single time of my first 5 takeoffs with 3 to 5 GPS "bars". Annoying!

-(new) SD Card dirty:
After every time i shot stills or vid to the cars and then removed it (EVO off) and put it in my cardreader i had a warning about "unclean" filesystem. No error found. Strange!!!
Had that the first FW revisions on my belowed littke Anafi...

bye :)

Ender

One very small issue, I lost the top rubber piece of the phone holder on Day 2. Someone else reported they lost the lower rubber piece very soon after taking delivery. Not sure if the adhesive is not up to spec or if these need to sit and cure awhile "on the shelf", as we are likely getting these fairly fresh from production.

One very small issue, I lost the top rubber piece of the phone holder on Day 2. Someone else reported they lost the lower rubber piece very soon after taking delivery. Not sure if the adhesive is not up to spec or if these need to sit and cure awhile "on the shelf", as we are likely getting these fairly fresh from production.
I had the lower rubber piece fall off on my first flight! Not very comforting, as my cell phone then dropped out of the holder and fell to the ground. I'm going to have to find a very powerful glue to re-attach this piece.

The top rubber grip on my Evo 2's phone holder slipped off the other day. I was flying on a hot sunny day and the adhesive got hot either from the sun or my phone. A little indentation where the grip mounts would have helped keep it in place. Perhaps a non-adhesive mount would have fixed it too (rubber plug in the back of the grip). Either way IMO, it is a poor design.

Let me start with one "none issue" that is a bit of an annoyance. So far at three different take off locations and for all my 8 flights so far, I get a GPS warning to pay attention when returning home as location may not be accurate. This is a bit anxiety producing on a new and expensive drone, but each time I did have the green "Safe to Fly" banner on my phone. Each time the EVO II returned accurately to home. When I spoke to Support I was told it just means the number of satellites locked onto is not the desired maximum, and if the Safe to Fly banner was present, not to worry. Well my other drones either give me satellite lock achieved or not achieved notices and have never had a problem at these locations. So, if it is Safe to Fly, why notify me? As I said so far the RTH landings are accurate. How many satellite locks are really needed? It is kind of unnerving, I will try other locations to see if I can achieve reception good enough to not trigger the GPS warning but so far it is three for three different locations. It makes me feel the GPS reception is not so good which is unlikely. Maybe it can be tweaked to more accurately reflect when RTH accuracy will actually be impaired, as I said no problems in that respect. This is my first Autel product so it makes sense there will be different design philosophy's.
dronographer, I bought the Evo 1 a month after its release. I received the (inaccurate home position) message when it really was supposed the show... Going Forward now..... firmware updates were coming in and since one of the updates I Get the infamous (GPS INACCURATE HOME POSITION...FLY WITH CAUTION) message everytime about every flight.... I'm wearing your shoes here my friend.... Yes I'm getting 16 to 21 satellites average. Yes, I'm doing everything right before take off.....

I believe most of you come from DJI and are accustomed to hearing Home Point Set after aquiring 8+ satellites, with the green banner. In the case of Autel, before locking home point, they decided to put that message. All you have to do is wait until you have 8 or more satellites and you are good to go.

Another issue:

The gimbal cover on the 8K is very annoying to use and always makes me worry about damaging the camera or gimbal

With my brand new mavic 2 pro the first time I removed and put the gimball cover back on I had 2 lines on the top side of the gimbal so well with autel I did not have any such issue . Nearly %80 of the mavic 2 owners have those two lines unless they read about the issue ?

How many RC bars for 8 satellites?
I can't find how many satellites are locked in either. All I see is bars.

Just tap the top bar in the explorer app. It will tell you how many satellites you have.

Even with 8 sats I rememder the gps warning :rolleyes:
You will always get the warning, then will get a ready to fly really quick and it all dissapears, until you tap on the notifications to the left of the screen. Remember that your drone uses both GPS and VPS to set RTH. If one of those hasn't been set, it won't be as precise. You will get some 5-10' of error when landing.

Reactions: Barboza
I am at a disadvantage having never seen a drone, so I worry. I do not own a mobile device and intend to hack flying alone in Covid isolation. I pre-ordered EVO PRO for no geo fencing, avoidance sensors, and 1" camera. I am in a dangerous environment with tall forest trees. So I worry. How fickle is GPS?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramipazhar