Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II Pro Rugged Bundle: First 3 Days

Tech514

Reaction score
OK, finally received my EVO2P Rugged Bundle on Tuesday. For background I've been flying DJI since 2013: Phantom 1, Phantom 3 Advanced and for the last three years, the iconic Mavic Pro. First let me preface my next comments by acknowledging that this drone is brand new and I don't expect it to fly as competently as my Mavic Pro does, which has the benefits of three years of software maturity. That said, I have high hopes for the EVO 2 platform but just like anyone else with significant DJI experience, I know that DJI did not refine the flight controls of their generational models "overnight". Here are my first impressions (focused solely on flight control and design for now as I haven't concentrated on quality video yet):

"Pros":

1. Excellent flight time
2. Superb 360 degree obstacle avoidance
3. Very good wind tolerance
4. Robust, beefy gimbal
5. NO GEOFENCING/NO-FLY RESTRICTIONS
6. Solid build and design of drone body, arms. motors

Cons:

1. In Manual Flight mode this drone flies like a "brick" (just like Billy Kyle reviewed) as there are no attitude and sensitivity settings to dampen down flight dynamics. Other than Yaw (there is a rudimentary EXP setting) all other movements, including braking, are extreme and lack any finesse. (these can be tamed to some extent by using Precision and Dual Stability flight modes, but these App profile "tunings" are predefined by Autel and not customizable by pilot.

2. Regarding above, no user definable settings for sensitivity, attitude, or braking of any flight characteristics other than Yaw (again. rudimentary EXP setting provided).

3. Controller is overall not built as solidly as a DJI, sticks need more input resistance, antennas have weak swivel joints and also lack resistance, therefore they are easy to move out of position unintentionally. Also I'm constantly touching A and B buttons under controller unintentionally, I ordered these from 3D Printed Done Mods to hopefully cure these controller design problems:

4. Controller is top heavy with phone connected, you'll get used to it, just not as ergonomic as DJI controller(s)

4. Poor Range- I am getting disconnects much sooner than I did with my 3 year old Mavic Pro flying in the exact same suburban areas around my home that I have flown my Mavic so may times. Areas where I could easily stay connected 2500-3000 feet on the Mavic Pro are disconnected at 1400-1600 feet.

5. Disconnections of video and flight control are always simultaneous... Mavic Pro would lose video first and then ultimately lose flight control connection, never lost bot simultaneously.

6. On disconnects, RTH failsafe invokes in 3 seconds, not providing any leeway for drone to reconnect and continue flight if there was simply temporary interference. Drone does reconnect automatically to controller on RTH when it closes the distance and you can easily pause the RTH and resume controlled flight.

7. Inexplicably no Dronie or Rocket flight modes that have been standard on DJI drones for the past 2 years.

8. Ludicrous Mode: Despite definitely selecting 45 MPH in the drop down on the App, my EVO 2 Pro has not flown faster than 34 MPH in Ludicrous mode, full disclosure, it is possible I was still in Dual Stability mode (not positive that matters regarding speed), I will reattempt with Manual Flight mode selected.

9. Every flight so far has begun with "weak GPS" warnings, takes much longer than my Mavic Pro to lock onto satellites, doesn't seem to find as many satellites as my Mavic Pro did in the same flight locations with clear weather.

10: Precision Landing needs to be improved, on RTH tests with precision landing definitely set to "on" the EVO 2 is often missing the landing pad in daylight using the bright orange side.

11. Props are NOISY by comparison to DJI Mavic original standard props (not low noise props) Where my Mavic Pro would become silent at 200 feet, the EVO 2 is quite noticeable by ear even at 300 ft. DJI standard props are more rigid and are squared off on the ends, EVO 2 props are more flexible and are conventionally rounded at ends.

I have high hopes for this drone and am hopeful that Autel is paying attention to the YouTubers like Billy Kyle and OriginalDoBo as well as perusing this site for end-user intel so they can fine tune their firmware updates to improve these shortcomings that DJI has had mastered for the last 2 to 3 years.

More Cons then Pros...this isn’t a good sign...regardless of what updates can do to remedy. This platform cost a lot for these types of issues to be present. I purchased the E2P rugged bundle and after reading and researching... I’m starting to wonder if I should cancel my order before it ships. I’m not willing to throw away 2G’S on a product that is average at best. This should’ve been handled before it was released.

Reactions: parkgt
My Intent is not to discourage anyone to not purchase the Evo II, just to honestly share my initial likes/dislikes while prefacing the criticism of the shortcomings by my confidence that Autel will release a stream of firmware updates to resolve many of my criticisms that are addressable by software. Since placing my order for the E2P rugged bundle in Mid April, Autel released 2 firmware updates, so that is very encouraging.

I live in an area with lots of trees and tons of private homes with WiFi.... this causes a lot of interference. If you look at the Range Test on youtube by “Dad Random” He got 18,000+ feet/3.5 miles out in the desert . So my range issues so far are interference related, both physical/environment and densely populated WiFi.

I think Autel has placed a lot of pre-release/post-release development resource focus on the camera and camera software side of the drone, and that there will be very few issues with video and photos which have so far received rave reviews. For me, the fact that the EVO II is not locked down like DJI’s are, is a huge plus to temper my list of shortcomings that Autel will likely get to in the next 6 to 12 months via Firmware. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but check out “Dad Random” reviews on YouTube before you make a final decision on the EVO 2.

Reactions: Bigdz
1. In Manual Flight mode this drone flies like a "brick" (just like Billy Kyle reviewed) as there are no attitude and sensitivity settings to dampen down flight dynamics. Other than Yaw (there is a rudimentary EXP setting) all other movements, including braking, are extreme and lack any finesse. (these can be tamed to some extent by using Precision and Dual Stability flight modes, but these App profile "tunings" are predefined by Autel and not customizable by pilot.

That was my first impression too, but it faded on the first day. Last week i sold my Mavic Platinum and went flying with the buyer to show him what's what. It was not terrible, but it did not feel nearly as smooth as the AE2 feels. So my conclusion is that all the negative reviews have a lot to do with people being used to DJI drones.

My Intent is not to discourage anyone to not purchase the Evo II, just to honestly share my initial likes/dislikes while prefacing the criticism of the shortcomings by my confidence that Autel will release a stream of firmware updates to resolve many of my criticisms that are addressable by software. Since placing my order for the E2P rugged bundle in Mid April, Autel released 2 firmware updates, so that is very encouraging.

I live in an area with lots of trees and tons of private homes with WiFi.... this causes a lot of interference. If you look at the Range Test on youtube by “Dad Random” He got 18,000+ feet/3.5 miles out in the desert . So my range issues so far are interference related, both physical/environment and densely populated WiFi.

I think Autel has placed a lot of pre-release/post-release development resource focus on the camera and camera software side of the drone, and that there will be very few issues with video and photos which have so far received rave reviews. For me, the fact that the EVO II is not locked down like DJI’s are, is a huge plus to temper my list of shortcomings that Autel will likely get to in the next 6 to 12 months via Firmware. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but check out “Dad Random” reviews on YouTube before you make a final decision on the EVO 2.

Where did you purchase your E2P rugged bundle from? I purchased in Mid March and still don't have it.

Where did you purchase your E2P rugged bundle from? I purchased in Mid March and still don't have it.
I purchased mine at the end of April from Empire Drone and still don't have it either. I was 3rd on their list but they still haven't gotten a shipment for the 6k rugged bundle yet. They've been saying next week for 3 weeks. I'm sure we are both frustrated.

These are the type of reviews I like to read. Good, bad, real life...I don't detect any bias, just what the OP is finding out. Well done.
I finally got a tracking # for my order, so will see how long it takes to get through customs.
Really looking forward to delivery of the Pro. Ordered straight from China, 5/15. Great price too, $2k rugged bundle with extra battery.

Good unbiased review. Thanks for sharing your findings. Let's hope firmware updates solve many of the shortcomings and dislikes.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials