Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Everyone thought I was crazy when I said this..... DJI DRONES BLACKLISTED BY FAA

Stillers

Reaction score

I've been saying it for a year now that it was just too convenient that, literally, any conceivable way you could imagine to fly a drone using a device that is not network connected or bound to Big Tech was blocked somehow or wasn't allowed by the manufacturer and theres never any good explanation for why. I've been fighting this battle for a year now over my ground station I built myself that I want to put an embedded device in so it could standalone. I knew there was no way that Mod Removed Inappropriate Language)happened by coincidence!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kyle and goldenu2

I've been saying it for a year now that it was just too convenient that, literally, any conceivable way you could imagine to fly a drone using a device that is not network connected or bound to Big Tech was blocked somehow or wasn't allowed by the manufacturer and theres never any good explanation for why. I've been fighting this battle for a year now over my ground station I built myself that I want to put an embedded device in so it could standalone. I knew there was no way that **** happened by coincidence!

I have consistently listed DJI's extremely invasive data collection practices as one of the reasons why I switched to Autel. The only thing surprising is that this hasn't happened sooner. The reality though is it could still take yrs for them to actually be added to any kind of list and only after all of the lawsuits and appeals are concluded and when the import ban seems inevitable they will just spin off a US subsidiary under a different brand and keep on with business as usual (think Zoom/Tik Tok/Huawei).

Of course Autel is also a Chinese subsidiary but at least I can keep the tablet in airplane mode and never connect to the network for what is supposedly only "geofencing unlocks" which to me is just one more way that DJI ensures you upload your data to them on a periodic basis. I would also never run the DJI or Autel app on my cell phone.

I have consistently listed DJI's extremely invasive data collection practices as one of the reasons why I switched to Autel. The only thing surprising is that this hasn't happened sooner. The reality though is it could still take yrs for them to actually be added to any kind of list and only after all of the lawsuits and appeals are concluded and when the import ban seems inevitable they will just spin off a US subsidiary under a different brand and keep on with business as usual (think Zoom/Tik Tok/Huawei).

Of course Autel is also a Chinese subsidiary but at least I can keep the tablet in airplane mode and never connect to the network for what is supposedly only "geofencing unlocks" which to me is just one more way that DJI ensures you upload your data to them on a periodic basis. I would also never run the DJI or Autel app on my cell phone.
If you didn't sideload the app or a Google sponsored source it doesn't have to ever touch your cell phone. Google Play Services is probably the most invasive and relentless data mining system out there. At least it was until I figured out how Amazon Sidewalk worked. I've been trying for a year to find an industrial panel pc or an Android Single board Computer that doesn't have Google Play, does have a new enough version of Android, and the right combination of I/O to fly the drone. Android SoMs with video in are surprisingly rare. Finding one with USB video in is.... Challenging.

what! dji has been banned? that's the 4th time this week....how many times are they going to be banned? strange....was just flying my dji drone last afternoon.... :(

no youre not crazy but you should consider jumping into this thread: Is Autel next?

If it ever does get banned, and I still think it could take years I would imagine that existing DJI drones would continue to fly but parts availability would become impossible and no one would be able to purchase any new DJI drones. I get the feeling though a new brand would mysteriously show up overnight with identical features but a different label.

If you didn't sideload the app or a Google sponsored source it doesn't have to ever touch your cell phone. Google Play Services is probably the most invasive and relentless data mining system out there. At least it was until I figured out how Amazon Sidewalk worked. I've been trying for a year to find an industrial panel pc or an Android Single board Computer that doesn't have Google Play, does have a new enough version of Android, and the right combination of I/O to fly the drone. Android SoMs with video in are surprisingly rare. Finding one with USB video in is.... Challenging.

I don't use Google products at all, for my drones I use an iPad mini kept in airplane mode at all times and enabled for Wifi only to register a new drone or install the app once; then back to airplane mode. Unfortunately Google Play services even came for "free" with my car and I have no way to turn them off but I did refuse to activate the LTE subscription.

I don't use Google products at all, for my drones I use an iPad mini kept in airplane mode at all times and enabled for Wifi only to register a new drone or install the app once; then back to airplane mode. Unfortunately Google Play services even came for "free" with my car and I have no way to turn them off but I did refuse to activate the LTE subscription.
Unless you've magically found a way to unlock a way to see all of the processes your phone does in the background they you have no way of ensuring that that phone or iPad is actually in airplane mode or what it is or isn't sending. Or if it's even off. Why do you think you can't take the battery out of any phone or device anymore. How convenient that he one true way to guarantee a device is sending nothing by removing the battery was eliminated as an option on every device made by every manufacturer all within the same 6 month period back around the end of 2015-2016. And iPhones have a particular vulnerability that androids don't. In guessing you never heard about the Pegasus software or The NSC Group. That's how they got Bezos back in '17. And I can promise you that his phone had a bit more than just run-of-the-mill security protocols. Bottom line is this: you have no clue what you're devices are doing inside the plastic shell. And if you think you can guarantee absolute data privacy by pushing one button that they left so easily accessible then you're their favorite kind of user. The clueless kind.

I was going to get my 107 but when they banned drones from filming the border crisis I said (Mod Removed Inappropriate Language) No!

I was going to get my 107 but when they banned drones from filming the border crisis I said Mod Removed Inappropriate Language)No!
it was a no-fly zone but I guess you can call it a defecto drone ban. so how does that have anything to do with part 107? I still think you cannot fly in that particular area as a recreational pilot. perhaps you are referring to a "government license?"

Reactions: gschulzuio
Unless you've magically found a way to unlock a way to see all of the processes your phone does in the background they you have no way of ensuring that that phone or iPad is actually in airplane mode or what it is or isn't sending. Or if it's even off. Why do you think you can't take the battery out of any phone or device anymore. How convenient that he one true way to guarantee a device is sending nothing by removing the battery was eliminated as an option on every device made by every manufacturer all within the same 6 month period back around the end of 2015-2016. And iPhones have a particular vulnerability that androids don't. In guessing you never heard about the Pegasus software or The NSC Group. That's how they got Bezos back in '17. And I can promise you that his phone had a bit more than just run-of-the-mill security protocols. Bottom line is this: you have no clue what you're devices are doing inside the plastic shell. And if you think you can guarantee absolute data privacy by pushing one button that they left so easily accessible then you're their favorite kind of user. The clueless kind.

You can't take the battery out of most modern devices because they want to charge you to replace the battery, make the device itself disposable at which point they can charge you for a new one, and/or to make the device more attractive to consumer buyers (slimmer cases, tighter assembly tolerances, etc).

If you are that paranoid about what your device is/isn't sending when in airplane mode you can easily use a WiFi scanner to see if a device is still transmitting anything. For certain devices you can also completely disconnect the Wifi antenna internally or remove the Wifi circuit board altogether in devices such as laptops.

And yes, I am familiar with the Pegasus software and the NSC NSO Group which is well known for their role in unlocking the Boston marathon bomber's cell phone when Apple refused as well as the recent iMessage Zero-Click vulnerabilty. And the particular vulnerability that the NSO Group used in that case was patched before it even became known to the general public that it existed.

At the end of the day you have two choices; put your tinfoil hat on and live under a rock or find a balance between security and sanity that makes sense to you; I personally chose to do the latter; so I use airplane mode, private browsing, Ghostery, Adblock, etc. while knowing none of it will completely eliminate the rampant intrusive data collection and privacy intrusions; but to me is it better than nothing....yes.

I was going to get my 107 but when they banned drones from filming the border crisis I said (Mod Removed Inappropriate Language)No!

I am curious as well why you chose to forgo the Part 107 process just due to the implementation of a no fly zone at the border. To me the two aren't related; you are going to eliminate your chances of legally accepting commercial drone work due to a move by the government that you disagree with? That's like refusing to get a driver's license until they will let you park on the White House lawn.

That's like refusing to get a driver's license until they will let you park on the White House lawn.
Wait.. They stopped White House lawn parking? Even for unregistered golf carts? I was going to get a license, then I heard about speed limits, and walked right the ( (Mod Removed)out of DMV. They can't slow down MY golf cart. muhuhahaha.

If you are that paranoid about what your device is/isn't sending when in airplane mode you can easily use a WiFi scanner to see if a device is still transmitting anything. For certain devices you can also completely disconnect the Wifi antenna internally or remove the Wifi circuit board altogether in devices such as laptops.
Ohhhh. Youre one of those. I gotcha. Well if you choose to not believe corroborated facts because they dont mesh with your world view then I cant do much for ya. Before any conversation can exist, both parties must agree that 2+2=4 and I don't trust the math skills of anyone that would rather prattle off talking points they received express from the propoganda machine than put forth the effort to have an original thought. Ill leave you with two thoughts.....

1. Every conspiracy theory is a conspiracy theory until its not. They are, at any time, just one leaked document away from going from conspiracy theory to leading news story. To think, not even a year ago you couldn't even mention the possibility of COVID being a lab leak. So dont say theres no merit. Theres plenty of merit. Just no source.

2. Just because Im paranoid does not mean Im wrong.

it was a no-fly zone but I guess you can call it a defecto drone ban. so how does that have anything to do with part 107? I still think you cannot fly in that particular area as a recreational pilot. perhaps you are referring to a "government license?"
Good point, in fact by being 107, you have the ability to apply for waivers, as well as airspace authorizations in NFZ and even TFR's. Granted, as a 107, you can apply to have almost anything waived, however weather you get the waiver or not is TBD. Point being as a 107 you have more rights to get access to airspace beyond what a 44809/recreational operator does.

Good point, in fact by being 107, you have the ability to apply for waivers, as well as airspace authorizations in NFZ and even TFR's. Granted, as a 107, you can apply to have almost anything waived, however weather you get the waiver or not is TBD. Point being as a 107 you have more rights to get access to airspace beyond what a 44809/recreational operator does.

Of course in this scenario "apply" is the key word here, the chances of getting approved for flights in that area are somewhere between 0 and -100.

Of course in this scenario "apply" is the key word here, the chances of getting approved for flights in that area are somewhere between 0 and -100.
Yup, with planning, justification, your chances are somewhere between 0 and 100.

Absolutely 100% nonsensical headline.

Fist, it was the FCC that mentioned this, not the FAA. Second, it was a memo buy (soon to be replaced) FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr. All he is doing to trying to make his political mark before he is replaced by Gigi Sohn.

And by the way, those of you who are do gleeful about it, if this happens (it won't), guess who will be next...

This is entirely a political move by D.C. insiders who hate China. They're using drones for political posturing and public grandstanding. And since it's about China and politics, Autel will be next. So don't get all giddy about it, because it will also come back and take a monster bite out of your backsides too.

We talked about this on our newscast this week.

Actually, the only thing 44809 can't do that we can do is fly in controlled airspace at night. And that will be changing soon. Once the CBOs are approved, then it's likely 44809 flights will be allowed in controlled airspace as well. TFR approvals are incredibly difficult to get, no matter what rules you fly under.

The reason batteries can't be removed by many cell phone manufacturers is called PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE. Planned obsolescence is when various strategies are used to make a product seem undesirable, useless, and unwanted. When the battery becomes unable to keep a charge for an adequate amount of time, the user will buy another phone entirely, thus increasing profits for the manufacturer(s). It's incorporated into an immense amount of products.

Ohhhh. Youre one of those. I gotcha. Well if you choose to not believe corroborated facts because they dont mesh with your world view then I cant do much for ya. Before any conversation can exist, both parties must agree that 2+2=4 and I don't trust the math skills of anyone that would rather prattle off talking points they received express from the propoganda machine than put forth the effort to have an original thought. Ill leave you with two thoughts.....

1. Every conspiracy theory is a conspiracy theory until its not. They are, at any time, just one leaked document away from going from conspiracy theory to leading news story. To think, not even a year ago you couldn't even mention the possibility of COVID being a lab leak. So dont say theres no merit. Theres plenty of merit. Just no source.

2. Just because Im paranoid does not mean Im wrong.
I always find these posts funny.

It’s trivial to see if your device is sending network traffic. Free tools such as WireShark and tcpdump enable this.

When I was an engineer at Amazon it became exhausting to constantly have conversations with family/friends/acquaintances who said “you know those Alexa devices are listening to everything you say, that’s why you get ads for things you talk about.” No, they aren’t saving everything you say. So I’d propose they run a traffic capture on the device traffic to prove their theory, and what do ya know, not a single one of them ever provided any evidence, which again, should be easy to obtain.

The idea random people have that they’re important enough to justify these incredibly complex methods of spying is laughable. It’s as ridiculous as people who think every drone in the air is trying to take pictures of their kids through their windows.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GLOBODRONE