Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is Autel next?

ssb73q

Reaction score
Hi, anybody following the news that DJI may not be able to sell drones in the USA? The House of Representatives passed S1790. That bill is now going over to the Senate. I don't understand the logic and security issues that may prevent DJI from selling, or owners from using DJI drones in the USA.

Is Autel next?

Regards,
Richard

nothing is going to stop neither dji nor autel from selling drones to usa consumers. we are a free country and last I checked, we still embrace the free market.

Hi, anybody following the news that DJI may not be able to sell drones in the USA? The House of Representatives passed S1790. That bill is now going over to the Senate. I don't understand the logic and security issues that may prevent DJI from selling, or owners from using DJI drones in the USA.

Is Autel next?

Regards,
Richard

Where do you get the idea that DJI is on the FCC's list?

" last I checked, we still embrace the free market."
try keeping your job without a jab
there are a gazzillion things that are NOT free-legal to buy n sell until the government says so/regulates. then maybe for a fee........

" last I checked, we still embrace the free market."
try keeping your job without a jab
there are a gazzillion things that are NOT free-legal to buy n sell until the government says so/regulates. then maybe for a fee........
I get it but that's not what I meant. the free market doesn't mean everything is free. so let's say mostly free but I understand there are some things that have to be restricted. for example, high-powered laser pointers cannot be legally imported for the most part but it's not illegal to possess one and it's not illegal to purchase one and I don't think it's illegal to transfer one. definitely illegal to misuse one and again, I can't atone for every single jurisdiction since there are a ton of zones in america that are definitely not free.

to me, the free market pertains to what happened between the government and the market. whatever a company does within itself is none of my business (as long as they stay in their lane)....again, up to a certain point. I don't believe it's even possible for the usa government to ban the sale and possession of a dji drone (by us citizens)....if that's happens, we have bigger problems. but you are right in one aspect, this country is "on the move" for sure, so you might actually be correct.

ya, free market for me is private business to consumer. ONLY IF the consumer cannot "get satisfaction" does the government need to intrude. built a hi-power laser in the 70's, was a 5W IR, never asked permission, just bought the parts n built it. I was working for the Navy n got bored at sea :cool:

nothing is going to stop neither dji nor autel from selling drones to usa consumers. we are a free country and last I checked, we still embrace the free market.
Except when it involves Homeland Security. You can look it up and see what started it. I hope the market stays the same. I guess time will tell??

Is Autel next?

Regards,
Richard
I guess the Secret Service will need to get rid of the new DJI aircraft they bought last month.

Don't think so.

Reactions: UasDriver
I believe Autel is safe for the moment because they lack the profile of Autel. Also, Autel being an American company despite the ownership by a Chinese company makes banning them a much more troublesome option.

I am not surprised by any of this. DJI has been on multiple "target lists" for some time. My personal opinion is I still have not read something that convinces me that they are 100% stealing information. I have read articles claiming they are and they are not. I do admit I would not be surprised if they were stealing information and the definitive proof does appear.

My opinion is part of this is to get rid of the big player. DJI still dominates consumer and prosumer drones.

The Blue sUAS program while a good start did not really provide the cost effective family of drones that meets what is needed to replace DJI drones. They are expensive, have inferior sensors, lack the customer support, accident protection, and just a lack of software and integration. Why would I buy an Anafi USA with 320 thermal resolution for $7K when I can get a Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced for $6.5 K with accident protection, and almost double the thermal resolution? Check out the pricing on the other sUAS drones, $7K is child's play for some of their pricing.

I agree goldenu2, with Autel being an "American" company will help them, but I would think that if DJI is completely banned and Autel becomes the "new DJI" with the lead in sales, they could probably be next. There are so many factors at play here, some of them real, some of them politics and money.

If an American company made a drone with similar capabilities as a drone I was about to buy, and was within a reasonable price difference, I would no doubt look into it. But, as with any purchase I am not going to buy "American" for an inferior, more expensive product, especially with the blur of how much of the labor and hardware is really American.

Is Autel next?

Regards,
Richard
DJI has its flight log data base in China, with the Chinese government being able to access all information from their database.
Autel has its flight log data base in the USA.
So very unlikely that Autel will be dragged into the same scrutiny.

Reactions: mixchief
DJI has its flight log data base in China, with the Chinese government being able to access all information from their database.
Autel has its flight log data base in the USA.
So very unlikely that Autel will be dragged into the same scrutiny.
That's interesting. There are 2 market sectors. The government and the private sectors. I'm pretty sure DJI or the Chinese government has no interest private sectors flight logs (that's people like you , me and private non-gov companies). But I wonder what interest or what benefits they could get from analyzing the flight logs of certain government sectors. I guess our government doesn't want any government sector data eg flight log data, being routinely transferred to DJI and possibly the Chinese government. Why DJI can't offer a DATA security system to be implemented in their products for the government buying sector is strange. They could at least release data or specs needed by our government to create our own secure firmware or hardware that would prevent any data breaches. But maybe that is impossible.

I think we can all agree that all Chinese companies are required to immediately provide any and all data demanded by the Chinese government no matter the characteristics of the data. can we just go from there? I think the argument will be more simplified and straightforward.

I think we can all agree that all Chinese companies are required to immediately provide any and all data demanded by the Chinese government no matter the characteristics of the data. can we just go from there? I think the argument will be more simplified and straightforward.
The argument in the news is is specific to government funded or purchased DJI Chinese manufactured drones only. The possible DJI ban is only relegated to government funded or purchased drones. If your not working for the government, you have nothing to worry about. DJI and Autel will be present and for sale in the retail private sector as always. Too many people are getting confused because too many people are "trying to keep it simple". Most everyone in these forums is a hobbyist or works in private industry, thus, just about everyone on this forum should not concern themselves with articles that say DJI sales may be restricted or banned. These statements have nothing to do with most of the people that use these forums. Unless you fly drones for the government, this matter is irrelevant.

Reactions: mixchief
The argument in the news is is specific to government funded or purchased DJI Chinese manufactured drones only. The possible DJI ban is only relegated to government funded or purchased drones. If your not working for the government, you have nothing to worry about. DJI and Autel will be present and for sale in the retail private sector as always. Too many people are getting confused because too many people are "trying to keep it simple". Most everyone in these forums is a hobbyist or works in private industry, thus, just about everyone on this forum should not concern themselves with articles that say DJI sales may be restricted or banned. These statements have nothing to do with most of the people that use these forums. Unless you fly drones for the government, this matter is irrelevant.

I think the part where this could be more than a just: "The possible DJI ban is only relegated to government funded or purchased drones." is from this statement
"Overall, Carr believes that there is enough data to put these drones on the covered list. He says putting them on the list will help the U.S. in the long run. “In the long term, we’re [the FCC] looking at taking our covered list in prohibiting those devices from operating in the U.S. altogether. In fact … just today the House passed a bill that would give the FCC authority to do exactly that, that if there is anything on our covered list, they can no longer operate in the U.S.”

from this article: FCC calls for blacklist of Chinese drone company

Reactions: goldenu2
I also understand that US manufacturers are banned from selling components to DJI and some other flagged Chinese companies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy