Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drones Will Be Shot Down Until These Misconceptions Are Tackled

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
On February 23rd, Long Island resident Gerard Chasteen allegedly fired his Shotgun three times at a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom flying near his property.

From UAV Legal News & Discussion:

Vic Moss shared a link.
Admin · 4 hrs
A little bit of bummer news this morning dealing with Federal prosecution of shooting drones.
As may of you may know I've been dealing with a few different people (directly and indirectly) who have had their drones shot down.
I just got off the phone with one of my contacts and they mentioned that based on conversations they've had, it's very unlikely that there will be any federal criminal prosecution of any drone shooting that doesn't involve "blood and guts" any time soon.
The other situation that may bump it up the federal chain is if someone shoots down a drone involved in a human SAR mission. That may also make it a priority.
There isn't really a single Federal agency that can be singled out. There are people inside most agencies that feel the same way we do.
Unfortunately, they aren't really the people making the high level decisions. It's just not a priority. And it's understandable to a point, but it sure would be nice if they would.
So it looks like the old adage of FARs being written in blood will also apply to the UAS community.
This doesn't mean we should just let people get away with it. Make sure you encourage people to report these issues to local police, and maybe one of them will want to push it.
And if you're involved in one of these unfortunate issues, take meticulous notes.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news this morning. But this looks pretty final.
And of course, please share this Drone U blog with your congress critters. Explain your frustration and ask them if they can do anything before someone gets seriously hurt.

Hmmmm. Unfortunate. I’ve inadvertently flown closer to mountain houses than I intended to solely b/c of distance from me, changing altitudes, steep inclines. It’s hard to make these judgements quickly sometimes.... Once, it was certainly within shotgun range...

@Agustine I wasn't aware that you dealt with this kind of stuff. So do you work for the Federal Aviation of Canada, a lawyer, or a drone activist? It was to my understanding that shooting a drone down was the same as shooting a plane down. I know we live in different countries, but I'm 95% sure the laws are the same or really similar in both Canada and the US. I really hope he gets convicted, which will make a presedent for future cases.

Edit: It is a Federal crime to shoot down a drone, but it seems it isn't enforced...typical government.

Edit: It is a Federal crime to shoot down a drone, but it seems it isn't enforced...typical government.

The judicial system is not where it needs to be. I have a customer that just retired from our local PD. He said his nerves wouldn't take it anymore. Arrested a guy for breaking and entering 2 times in one day on several occasions. That's bad...

This is why I would be staying flying my drones on remote places where you can barely see people and of course, away from civilization. Too many draconians out there that still think that drones are in the air to spying on them and will do anything to shoot down our drones.

This is why I would be staying flying my drones on remote places where you can barely see people and of course, away from civilization. Too many draconians out there that still think that drones are in the air to spying on them and will do anything to shoot down our drones.
I agree, but many of the most beautiful areas north Scottsdale/Carefree/Cave Creek AZ have luxurious mansions here and there perched on a hillsides and mountain tops... I try to avoid them whenever possible, but the areas mandate house colors blend-in to the environment, and they really do. I can’t see them until I’m on top of them — it’s unavoidable... State Parks/Forests/Reserves restrict drone flights, even though I’ve done it in remote areas...

I would bet that most of the people living in those locations are the laid back type and wouldn't get too upset if they saw a drone close by. Maybe if we put a device on our drones so when we see someone come out the house upset, we could drop them a $20. Lol... I'm sure it will work with the women

I would bet that most of the people living in those locations are the laid back type and wouldn't get too upset if they saw a drone close by. Maybe if we put a device on our drones so when we see someone come out the house upset, we could drop them a $20. Lol... I'm sure it will work with the women
Lol, they will probably be offended if you give them money. I would probably give them a business card if they want some free photography or videos as a thank you.

Reactions: mixchief
You can drop a fake Mercedez Benz key with a card that says "you can win one if you find it"

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy