Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FAA will require drones to display registration numbers externally

macoman

Reaction score
You have until February 23rd to mark the number on the outside of your drone.

Drone owners will soon need to display their device's registration numbers on the outside of the craft, the Federal Aviation Administration has declared. The agency, which last month proposedlooser restrictions on drone night flights, postedthe rule on a Federal Register preview site. The directive is set to take effect on February 23rd -- you'll need to mark the ID number on your drone's body by then.

The FAA created its mandatory drone registration program in 2015. Though a court struck it down in May 2017, registration regulations were reinforced later that year when the National Defense Authorization Act for 2018 became law. When the FAA initially established the program, it said drone owners could house the ID number within the battery compartment as long as tools weren't required to open it.

The new measure is coming into place to help law enforcement and security officers identify drone owners easier and faster. The FAA wrote in the Federal Register filing that officials from other agencies were concerned about "the risk a concealed explosive device poses to first responders who must open a compartment to find the small unmanned aircraft's registration number."

The FAA said it was able to enforce the rule without first seeking public comment because of a clause in the Administrative Procedure Act. It claimed that, had it simply proposed the rule at first, "first responders could be exposed to additional risk during the notice and comment period as a result of the attention drawn to the vulnerability." You'll still have 30 days to submit comments on the rule after it's published in the Federal Register on Wednesday.

Source: FAA will require drones to display registration numbers externally

Last edited:
Reactions: Madhungarian
That's the way mine has been since day one. My EVO has it's reg# on the left spar and my phone number on the right spar. If it is in a hover facing you, you can clearly see both numbers.

That's the way mine has been since day one. My EVO has it's reg# on the left spar and my phone number on the right spar. If it is in a hover facing you, you can clearly see both numbers.
None of my drone fleet have it... I need to work on it.

I suppose it's no big deal. I will just sticker it under one of the folding legs or some other place that it doesn't look like A$$. It didn't say anything other than it has to be external, so I'm in no hurry to make it easily visible.

Reactions: macoman
I am also ready from day 1. On my Phantom is right in the middle of the front view and on my Evo is in the back side of the front right leg. My Tello got away without a label, because she is so small and cute....yes she is!!!Screenshot_20190212-201635_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

How in the hell are they going to get this out to the public? Typical goverment!!

Like that will stop an IDIOT with an explosive device strapped to his drone, come on where is the common sense folks? They are targeting hobbyists who just want to fly, bummer.

Like that will stop an IDIOT with an explosive device strapped to his drone, come on where is the common sense folks? They are targeting hobbyists who just want to fly, bummer.
But now, after the drone explodes, they can identify the culprit quickly, because the registration is on the outside of the drone. At least that is how FAA is thinking.

You have until February 23rd to mark the number on the outside of your drone.

Drone owners will soon need to display their device's registration numbers on the outside of the craft, the Federal Aviation Administration has declared. The agency, which last month proposedlooser restrictions on drone night flights, postedthe rule on a Federal Register preview site. The directive is set to take effect on February 23rd -- you'll need to mark the ID number on your drone's body by then.

The FAA created its mandatory drone registration program in 2015. Though a court struck it down in May 2017, registration regulations were reinforced later that year when the National Defense Authorization Act for 2018 became law. When the FAA initially established the program, it said drone owners could house the ID number within the battery compartment as long as tools weren't required to open it.

The new measure is coming into place to help law enforcement and security officers identify drone owners easier and faster. The FAA wrote in the Federal Register filing that officials from other agencies were concerned about "the risk a concealed explosive device poses to first responders who must open a compartment to find the small unmanned aircraft's registration number."

The FAA said it was able to enforce the rule without first seeking public comment because of a clause in the Administrative Procedure Act. It claimed that, had it simply proposed the rule at first, "first responders could be exposed to additional risk during the notice and comment period as a result of the attention drawn to the vulnerability." You'll still have 30 days to submit comments on the rule after it's published in the Federal Register on Wednesday.

Source: FAA will require drones to display registration numbers externally
I just wanted to say you just made me register with the FAA thank you... :)

As i have experienced in the past, local law enforcement has no idea about the FAA airspace or the FAA registration of our drones, they are totally in the dark about hobbyists use of our babies, they are going to say "what is that # next to your phone #" :)

As i have experienced in the past, local law enforcement has no idea about the FAA airspace or the FAA registration of our drones, they are totally in the dark about hobbyists use of our babies, they are going to say "what is that # next to your phone #" :)
It cost 5 bucks and its good for 3 years. I am one of those types better safe than sorry.

I've always had my full name, phone #, and registration # printed on the outside of my drone.

LOL, I agree. I had a defective XSP fly-off 2 miles in rural Puna, Hawaii. Gps log tracked it down 90min. later, but the lady (saw it land in a bush outside her kitchen window), called the cops, I just missed them. I stressed about what would happen next. Not registered, I just got it. I went to the rural police shack, held my breath, walked-in. They were laughing about the lady’s story, and just gave it back to me after I told them Autel said it was defective, needed repair. They didn’t do anything, never mentioned registration, anything. I was stunned...

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
LOL, I agree. I had a defective XSP fly-off 2 miles in rural Puna, Hawaii. Gps log tracked it down 90min. later, but the lady (saw it land in a bush outside her kitchen window), called the cops, I just missed them. I stressed about what would happen next. Not registered, I just got it. I went to the rural police shack, held my breath, walked-in. They were laughing about the lady’s story, and just gave it back to me after I told them Autel said it was defective, needed repair. They didn’t do anything, never mentioned registration, anything. I was stunned...
Back then there wasn't the paranoia we have now and they simply did not know about registration. I have found out most cops now a days have no idea about anything that involves the FAA.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Back then there wasn't the paranoia we have now and they simply did not know about registration. I have found out most cops now a days have no idea about anything that involves the FAA.
Yup. Only 2 yrs ago. I bet with all the arrests for illegal flying during the 2018 eruptions, AND all the stuff on the news made them get up to speed fast...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller