Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone registration for hobbyist

Owenpga

Reaction score
it looks like the FAA was/is in violation of the
"2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act" based on my interpretation of this court caste, hobbyist don't need to register drone.
http://bit.ly/2q0tiAB

Actually the FAA has to sometime after July 1st to fight it in court and you still have to register until it is finalized. Not doing so you will be breaking the law.

Yup go for it
Why is it not taken off the FAA website yet?
You still need to register people at least till this goes through the courts.
I'm not confirming nor denying anything. I'm just trying to stay informed and if I am wrong I'm wrong. I'm not worried about it, I actually think people should be registered and I am registered. People should be accountable.
Could you post your source? Like I said, I'm just trying to be a more informed drone flyer and stay up to date.

Edit: I guess I should have done this initially. I went directly to FAA and emailed them the question. I'll post the response here when I get it.

Last edited:
Not legal advice:
The court's order regarding registration was not immediately effective.
It will not be effective until seven days after the disposition of any motion the FAA may file to have the case reheard:
-------------------
"the Clerk withhold issuance of the mandate herein until seven days after disposition of any timely petition for rehearing or petition for rehearing en banc."

DecisionStay.pdf

It looks like they have 45 days (from 5/19/17) to file such a motion:
----------------
Circuit Rule 35
Petition for Panel Rehearing and Petition for Hearing or Rehearing En Banc
(a) Time Within Which to File. In all cases in which a party is one of those listed in FRAP
40(a)(1)(A) - (D), the time within which any party may seek panel rehearing or rehearing en banc is 45 days after entry of judgment or other form of decision.
----------------
Given the clarity of the law here, I seriously doubt such a motion would be granted, or even filed - except to create delay. I'm told they are disposed of quickly, when filed.
However, since the order leaves open the possibility, the decision is not effective until 45 days from the decision (even if no motion is ultimately filed) calculated using the following:
Rule 26(a)(1) provides:
---------------------------
When the period is stated in days or a longer unit of time:
(A) exclude the day of the event that triggers the period;
(B) count every day, including intermediate Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays; and
(C) include the last day of the period, but if the last day is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the period continues to run until the end of the next day that is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday.
----------------------
Looks to me like that makes it July 4, 2017, or seven days after any motion is disposed of, whichever is later. I think...
Of course, since the media jumped on it immediately, the FAA May feel compelled to go ahead and take a position.

Reactions: Bigbit and Tufargon
Now that answer is about as good as it gets!! Thank you!! :)

So this means you will be subject to local laws, which in most places will say: "NO DRONES ALLOWED!"

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d