Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Does the Evo really have a 10-bit camera?

If a shave and a haircut is two bits, then the evo is worth at least five times that. 10 bit camera... Myth Plausible....

The video I posted was from Danny Fyffe. This guy is a true EVO fan boy. On the EVO's release he was one of the first to get one. He stayed up all night posting on the Autel facbook page about how excited he was to be getting one in the morning from Fedex LOL
I was really surprised to see him getting the Anafi and even more surprised on his comments saying the video was very good. In his video each UAV was in auto settings. Looks like the EVO had a hard time with the white balance compared to the Anafi.

The video I posted was from Danny Fyffe. This guy is a true EVO fan boy. On the EVO's release he was one of the first to get one. He stayed up all night posting on the Autel facbook page about how excited he was to be getting one in the morning from Fedex LOL
I was really surprised to see him getting the Anafi and even more surprised on his comments saying the video was very good. In his video each UAV was in auto settings. Looks like the EVO had a hard time with the white balance compared to the Anafi.
One can't be a true fanboi if they aren't open to trying out the competition and being able to say "been there, done that. This is the best"

Yup the EVO does have very good video. To bad they could not have figured out how to keep the left prop out of the video without having to drop the camera down.
I agree that it is a slight irritation but I have also found that the camera needs to be pointed way down to get the best overall exposure. To many videos have to much sky. IMHO

Reactions: Aussie Droner
The H.265 files are 4:2:0 YUV. Based on file size, I doubt very much that they're 10 bit per channel chroma sub sampling.

Sorry for chiming in on an older thread. I've just ordered my Evo, so all of the following is based on never having laid my hands on one yet.

Going on those screen shots it looks as if the Evo is still recording in BT.709, which if it actually is 10-bit would suggest this is not a HDR format (i.e BT2020 colour space)? Do utils such as MediaInfo give any more header information, specifically for bit depth and bit rate? Was the frame-rate of 23.976 the highest available, or just what you selected?

Assuming the bit rate is considerably less than the 100Mbps offered in H.264, it might still be enough (maybe). I know my GH5 will record 4K30P H.265 10-bit 4:2:0 at 72Mbps, although I never use it as I can get 4:2:2 for 150Mbps in H.264 (or 400Mbps All-I) without turning my PC into mud. If Autel aren't talking nonsense then it would be a shame if 10-bit was only available in H.265.

MediaInfo doesn't show more info than what I had. H.265 is about 98Mbps at 4K, and at HD resolution, footage is 34Mbps. It doesn't show bit depth but I would highly doubt this is 10 bit footage. I'm not saying it's not good quality, just not 10 bit. It's a shame they couldn't finagle 10 bit out of the HD resolution, but I'm more than happy with the quality as-is.

I am bit at a loss as to why a question about 10bit is even being asked... lol! I mean, we bought it with the '10 bit' being one of the 'selling point' we bought into an Evo... So, the question should have been asked BEFORE buying... lol!

Hopefully, I am not offending anyone, but am truly intrigued by this post...

8 or 10 bit or color-grading for me is all pretty much done in POST... and though I may not be as technical as some of us here, I know enough to be dangerous... that is, if the picture is good enough for me - mixed in with quality sounds/music, I am going to post it and move on!

So, whether 10 bit or not, I still believe my investment in getting an Evo is really worth the money. Until the next 'best thing', or a reason to turn away from the company, I will continue to support Autel and Evo.

Reactions: Aussie Droner
The reason for the post is up until Autels new video claiming 10 bit this has never ever been posted anywhere on their web site so where did this 10 bit come from? Did it just drop down from the gods of 10 bit heaven???

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
The reason for the post is up until Autels new video claiming 10 bit this has never ever been posted anywhere on their web site so where did this 10 bit come from? Did it just drop down from the gods of 10 bit heaven???

If I am reading your post correctly, you are asking where did the '10 bit' claim come from? If this is indeed your question, then, I can tell you I've seen it with my own 2 eyes on Autel's website when I was researching. Though 10 bit wasn't as critical compared to 4k60 ability, it helped me decide to go with EVO... :cool:

Yes if you had read my post it was not ever mentioned until that video. And if it is on their web site it is new and just added lately. Which of course they could not back up when questioned about it.

Well, the 10 bit feature has been there on Autel's site since launch... but, it is embedded in the 'spec' section, so it's hard for anyone to see it unless you are looking for it...

It's not as important as 4k60, so it could be why it was missed...

I would be suprised they've removed it now though...

If you can definitely shoot in HEVC, it captures so much more detail than h.264...especially at the same data rate which really is amazing.

Reactions: Ansia
No, 5472*3076 to p30/p25/p24
4K = 3840*2160 to p60/p50/p48/p30/p25/p24

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials