Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Do I need cell service

nscaler2

Reaction score
Does the starlink app need cell service to work? If not how does it get the map view?

Does the starlink app need cell service to work? If not how does it get the map view?
Yes, you currently need to have either cell service or WiFi available to have Starlink display an accurate map view. I typically set up my cell phone as a hotspot to achieve a position for the map view, since I don't have cellular on my tablet.

It would be nice if there were an option to download maps at home for use later in the field for areas where you know cell coverage is an issue. But that is a lot further down on my own wish list than the fixes for several important control issues that are present in the ship.

@nscaler2

NO,
you do not need cell service to work. Go to the area you wish to save in map mode and pan around to be sure to get all of the area you need. The area you view in the app while caching will be saved for use in the field. I use an iPad mini cellular but I have no cellular plan on it. I look at the maps ahead of time for the area I want to fly while on wifi.

Here is the link to Autels approved devices - What devices are compatible with the Starlink app? | Autel Robotics

@nscaler2

NO,
you do not need cell service to work. Go to the area you wish to save in map mode and pan around to be sure to get all of the area you need. The area you view in the app while caching will be saved for use in the field. I use an iPad mini cellular but I have no cellular plan on it. I look at the maps ahead of time for the area I want to fly while on wifi.

Here is the link to Autels approved devices - What devices are compatible with the Starlink app? | Autel Robotics

Yeah that works, but don't reopen the app till you get to where you saved the map or it will be lost. If you reopen it with a wifi signal it will pick up that area. So once you save it shut down and go to where you saved the map Right?

Good to know. I had no clue this needed cell service

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Good to know. I had no clue this needed cell service

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
You only need cell service to use the map feature. You dont need cell service if you want to just fly not using a map.

Reactions: 577-Jersey

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials