Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Device disconnected

Florida Wildlife

Reaction score
I just got the Xstar premium. I can rotate the gimble and can fly. But no camera and at the bottom it says device disconnected even though it is connected. Im new to Autel drones and im lost at the moment. Any Clues? I've figured it out and the port on the back of the controller is dead. Not the cable as the same cable used for charging is fine and i did try other cables. It does the same the same thing whether device is plugged in the transmitter port or not. Back to my Phantoms!! I also had to get another battery as it came with a bad one..not good for sales Autel

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

Have you tried cleaning the camera contacts with an eraser? Sometimes bad contacts will prevent the camera from working properly.

@Tufargon Any ideas what else could be the problem?

Just what I was thinking Ansia.
The camera/gimbal are detachable. Detach it, clean the contacts with alcohol or an eraser. Also look at that ribbon cable to see if it's not damaged. When you re-attach it make sure it's in there good.
Could also try another data cable to your phone/tablet.

Reactions: Ansia
Just what I was thinking Ansia.
The camera/gimbal are detachable. Detach it, clean the contacts with alcohol or an eraser. Also look at that ribbon cable to see if it's not damaged. When you re-attach it make sure it's in there good.
Could also try another data cable to your phone/tablet.
Thank you for the help, will give it a shot

You may want to try another phone also. I've had a couple devices that did not work with the same results you're getting.
Not sure I'd be blaming Autel for bad sales on a unit that's like 3 yrs old or more. I'm sure you bought it used so I'd be blaming the owner more than Autel. Sorry we couldn't help any more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia
Nothing worked so putting it for sale, maybe someone else will have luck. I dont need a paperweight.
That sounds like the guy that sold it to you! ;)

Wondering why you haven't tried calling Autel customer support? Although all of us forum members are well-meaning in our advice and may have a good deal of experience in some matters, sometimes the situation requires going straight to the horse's mouth as the most prudent beginning.

That sounds like the guy that sold it to you! ;)

Wondering why you haven't tried calling Autel customer support? Although all of us forum members are well-meaning in our advice and may have a good deal of experience in some matters, sometimes the situation requires going straight to the horse's mouth as the most prudent beginning.
Good luck with that ! Autel will just say ”well we’ll sell you a refurbished one”. After they had me send it in. For no reason obviously. If this were any of my DJI drones, the gimbal arm & ribbon cable can be bought for like $15, you’re only down for a day. My $800 Autel X-Star Premium has been down for over a year cause I can’t find those two cheap little parts & the company won’t help in acquiring them.

Good luck with that ! Autel will just say ”well we’ll sell you a refurbished one”. After they had me send it in. For no reason obviously. If this were any of my DJI drones, the gimbal arm & ribbon cable can be bought for like $15, you’re only down for a day. My $800 Autel X-Star Premium has been down for over a year cause I can’t find those two cheap little parts & the company won’t help in acquiring them.
Correction: They had me send it in just to say,”oh we’ll sell you a refurbished one for $599. What kinda **** is that ??‍♂️

I'm having the same issues, different cables, cleaned the camera contacts multiple times, different devices (devices that in the past worked just fine). I'm starting to get frustrated by the lack of support for the XSP myself. I have a drone business on the side and these reliability issues are a problem. I'm hesitant about the EVO because of some of the Issues I've been seeing and in a year or two, it might be the same thing as far as support from Autel. They had a chance to really give DJI some competition. I would put the XSP up against any of the Phantoms except the 4 with the 1 inch sensor on camera quality alone. It's a real shame they've seemed to have abandoned it instead of advancing it. Looks like I'll have to be looking at another brand for my business.

I'm having the same issues, different cables, cleaned the camera contacts multiple times, different devices (devices that in the past worked just fine). I'm starting to get frustrated by the lack of support for the XSP myself. I have a drone business on the side and these reliability issues are a problem. I'm hesitant about the EVO because of some of the Issues I've been seeing and in a year or two, it might be the same thing as far as support from Autel. They had a chance to really give DJI some competition. I would put the XSP up against any of the Phantoms except the 4 with the 1 inch sensor on camera quality alone. It's a real shame they've seemed to have abandoned it instead of advancing it. Looks like I'll have to be looking at another brand for my business.
I wouldn’t even consider the evo. I’m straight DJI from now on. But now I got this XSP sitting here that I can’t fix or do **** with. ??‍♂️ Ridiculous

I had a very similar, if not the same problem with my X-Star Premium. I bought it used but it performed well for several flights then I noticed trouble connecting with video. Sometimes very slow or wouldn't connect at all, then it disconnected once during flight. Time to fix it at that point.
Everything I tried (2 different cables, cleaned the camera connections and even deleted the last 2 apps I had installed) seemed to help or at least change it for the better but it still, it just wasn't right. It turned out to be my phones USB-C port. I never checked it because my Evo done just fine. I turned my phone off and got a toothpick that I whittled down on one end and cleaned bunches of lint from the port. More than one would think came out of that tiny hole. Then I blew it out with compressed air in a can. I haven't had any more problems since.

I had a very similar, if not the same problem with my X-Star Premium. I bought it used but it performed well for several flights then I noticed trouble connecting with video. Sometimes very slow or wouldn't connect at all, then it disconnected once during flight. Time to fix it at that point.
Everything I tried (2 different cables, cleaned the camera connections and even deleted the last 2 apps I had installed) seemed to help or at least change it for the better but it still, it just wasn't right. It turned out to be my phones USB-C port. I never checked it because my Evo done just fine. I turned my phone off and got a toothpick that I whittled down on one end and cleaned bunches of lint from the port. More than one would think came out of that tiny hole. Then I blew it out with compressed air in a can. I haven't had any more problems since.
I had this issue with charging my phone. Went to the Apple store and the technician had a plastic tool readily available to pick the lint from the charging port. Now i clean it periodically. Small things can create big problems.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials