Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Deep Cycling the Batteries

I have had two of my batteries that have not had a charge of more than 35 times show signs of UNBALANCE, I have done the run down to 20% and then let the battery power on, on the craft and just allow it to sit there till the craft turned off on my table indoors, I have not noticed the Drone or the Battery get that warm, then when it has shut off, removed the battery allowed it to sit off the drone for 30 mins then charged fully again, these are the results pictured below.Bat4.JPGBat4.JPGBat4.JPG

As you can see this has brought the cells up a little so two or three discharges and recharges are needed to help bring the cells back into balance if anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears.

So you depleted the battery to do a calibration and charged fully, but the cycle remained at 30? How is that possible?

Yes well that I am looking at now, so I will do another Deplete down till drone turns off the cool down and then recharge and post a pic of the battery state after.

I think the cycle not updating is a software glitch. I have seen this a few times with the X-star batteries as well.
I wonder if there is a specific charge level parameter that determines what a "Discharge" is for counting. In other words, perhaps a battery charge level needs to be taken down below a certain point before the completion of a recharging cycle would increase the battery chip's discharge count. That would be the logical way for monitoring battery cycles but not entirely accurate if the battery must be below say 50% for a new count number to be added. That means any short flights where we end up "topping off" a battery that is only partially discharged might not be documented in the software and chip as a full cycle to be counted.

I've only got a dozen charges on my batteries so far but I may perform an experiment comparing charging a fully drained battery (I always fly down to 10%) and a couple batteries at say 75% and 50% remaining charge to see if the counter works for all conditions.

One would think any charge, at any level to 100% would count as one cycle. I have found this not to be true on every battery. Is it the battery or just a glitch in the software. Over my head and do I really care...........so far not at all as it has made no difference in my flying time or my batteries. ;)

Reactions: Trox
The other question I will ask is this with Android or iOS? I know with the Android version of the App for the X-Star if you set your days till it started the count down to storage it would not hold. No matter what you set it to it would default back to 10 days. I asked Autel Tech and they said they knew about it but were not concerned about fixing it. This problem might be along the same lines. If its not crashing our drones so who cares LOL
Just a thought :rolleyes:

The other question I will ask is this with Android or iOS? I know with the Android version of the App for the X-Star if you set your days till it started the count down to storage it would not hold. No matter what you set it to it would default back to 10 days. I asked Autel Tech and they said they knew about it but were not concerned about fixing it. This problem might be along the same lines. If its not crashing our drones so who cares LOL
Just a thought :rolleyes:
I don't know about everyone else but I set all my batteries at the Max 10 days before Safety Discharge. As a somewhat new owner of the EVO I fly fairly regularly and almost never go ten days before using my batteries. Its annoying to get ready to hit the road for a mission and realize one or more batteries have entered the storage discharge cycle and need topped off. And in THAT scenario, there would be the perfect example of a partial discharge being recharged before use.

Since I keep a flight log for the EVO and anything related to it, like battery charge cycles, the next time I power up I'll have to compare my documented recharge cycles for each battery to what the chip is showing in the app.

I have my batteries in 2 days discharge. They hold their 2 days and start discharging then. I believe a battery has to drop below 30% in order to count as a cycle. This is why my batteries have around 10 cycles each, when I fly my drone weekly since I bought it on Jan 30. I never go below 40%. I am lazy and don't want to go through the hassle of charging them up to 50% to store them until the next flight.

I have my batteries in 2 days discharge. They hold their 2 days and start discharging then. I believe a battery has to drop below 30% in order to count as a cycle. This is why my batteries have around 10 cycles each, when I fly my drone weekly since I bought it on Jan 30. I never go below 40%. I am lazy and don't want to go through the hassle of charging them up to 50% to store them until the next flight.
Can you verify your safety discharge action cutting off at the 70% battery level the manual says? I've only had a couple batteries enter discharge mode and 'caught' them before they got very far from 100% so I've not tested the software to see if the discharge stops at 70%.

I don't know about everyone else but I set all my batteries at the Max 10 days before Safety Discharge. As a somewhat new owner of the EVO I fly fairly regularly and almost never go ten days before using my batteries. Its annoying to get ready to hit the road for a mission and realize one or more batteries have entered the storage discharge cycle and need topped off. And in THAT scenario, there would be the perfect example of a partial discharge being recharged before use.

Since I keep a flight log for the EVO and anything related to it, like battery charge cycles, the next time I power up I'll have to compare my documented recharge cycles for each battery to what the chip is showing in the app.
If you don't mind having a sudden battery drop and losing or crashing your drone I'd suggest you should at the very least charge the battery/batteries the night before. It's well documented (not only in this forum) that this is usually when the sudden battery drops happen. Anything over a day I recharge before flight or I don't fly with it. I've had 2 sudden battery drops and I've learned my lesson. Both batteries were charged up two days before when the sudden drops happened. Up to you what you do though. Good luck. ;)

Last edited:
Can you verify your safety discharge action cutting off at the 70% battery level the manual says? I've only had a couple batteries enter discharge mode and 'caught' them before they got very far from 100% so I've not tested the software to see if the discharge stops at 70%.
Mine have gone down to around 50-60% on discharge, which is the recommended level for storage.

Reactions: Trox
All my batteries are set to discharge after 10 days but two being number 4 and 5 batteries seem to start the discharge at about 3 or 4 days, so I always have charged then back up before a flight, so all my batteries are in full charge before a flight, this is the Number 5 Battery after 36 charges, still not balanced properly, done 4 deep Discharges , cell number one is coming up slowly, as are 2 and 3.Bat 5C.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufargon
All my batteries are set to discharge after 10 days but two being number 4 and 5 batteries seem to start the discharge at about 3 or 4 days, so I always have charged then back up before a flight, so all my batteries are in full charge before a flight, this is the Number 5 Battery after 36 charges, still not balanced properly, done 4 deep Discharges , cell number one is coming up slowly, as are 2 and 3.View attachment 5386
This battery is safe to use. One should be way of batteries that contain more than .070 deviation between the cells. Yours is just under and aceptable.

Reactions: Highlander1UK
This battery is safe to use. One should be way of batteries that contain more than .070 deviation between the cells. Yours is just under and aceptable.
Thanks but this was the battery I was flying 5 mins into the flight got Battery warning and it started to land.

Back when the X-Star batteries were having drops Autel told us that 0.50 difference was acceptable but anything over that they would exchange the battery under warranty. What you should do is monitor the battery under load. That is when you will see a bad cell. It might look fine after it has rested but under load is another story.

Reactions: Highlander1UK

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmccaskill