Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Deep Cycling the Batteries

Ansia

Reaction score
I am about to deep cycle my batteries for the first time (90 days since I got my Evo) and my plan is to take off and let it hover until it depletes. Will the Evo try to RTH or will it know it hasn't moved and stay there until it lands?

When it is so close to you it will not kick in to RTH. If it is anything like the XSP the last few minutes you will have to have the left stick up to prevent it from landing and shutting off on you. I believe the say 7-8%. Your battery will bounce back a few voltages after it lands.

Reactions: Ansia
When it is so close to you it will not kick in to RTH. If it is anything like the XSP the last few minutes you will have to have the left stick up to prevent it from landing and shutting off on you. I believe the say 7-8%. Your battery will bounce back a few voltages after it lands.
Thanks.

Funny that they have this in the manual. Maybe email them and ask how your suppose to get to 7% :)

We strongly recommend that you go through a charge cycle — wherein you charge the battery to 100% and then discharge it to 7% or lower — every three months, or after the battery has been used for 20 consecutive charges.

Funny that they have this in the manual. Maybe email them and ask how your suppose to get to 7% :)

We strongly recommend that you go through a charge cycle — wherein you charge the battery to 100% and then discharge it to 7% or lower — every three months, or after the battery has been used for 20 consecutive charges.
I will. I didn't take them from 100% to 12% though. Heh, guess I'll try again tomorrow.

OK, the lazy way? Fly as long as you can/want to....land. Power-up and let it sit. That works with the XSP. You can monitor the % on the App while eating chicken wings or whatever...;)
It's to windy for an enjoyable flight. Someone suggested to let it stay on the ground with the motors on, but those turn off after 60 seconds of no action.

The Evo gets pretty hot from sitting there. I'll see what I come up with tomorrow. Currently charging the batteries.

Just found out that the charging of the Evo batteries take longer than the Phantom's batteries, which are bigger.

Yes, as it is a LiPo battery, but the remote won't fall off the sky if not taken care of properly. The Evo will.

The cycling and conditioning of the batteries I thought is so it'll last longer (???)... I see your response is in humor, but I not sure I totally understand why not conditioning the lipo batteries would cause the drones to fall out of the sky... I just thought the drone just won't have as long of flight time, for example...

Secondly, the RC WOULD fall out of the sky, if I find it dead for some reason, I'd throw it in the air into the woods... hence, knowing to and conditioning battery is something I do not plan to take lightly...

Last edited:
The batteries used in controllers are a little different type (lithium-ion) and do not need to be cared for the same way your UAV battery does. (lithium-polymer).
Lithium ion batteries are designed to tolerate being stored for long periods in a fully charged state. That’s one of the things that make them ideal as a camera power source. They are also more stable than lithium polymer, which makes them safer for use in general consumer products. Li-on is now also the class standard used for U.N. battery hazard labels and shipping quantity standards.

Reactions: MD Automation
The cycling and conditioning of the batteries I thought is so it'll last longer (???)... I see your response is in humor, but I not sure I totally understand why not conditioning the lipo batteries would cause the drones to fall out of the sky... I just thought the drone just won't have as long of flight time, for example...

Secondly, the RC WOULD fall out of the sky, if I find it dead for some reason, I'd throw it in the air into the woods... hence, knowing to and conditioning battery is something I do not plan to take lightly...
I did not ment it as humor. The drone's LiPo batteries that have not had their proper maintenance have been known to break a cell mid flight, causing the drone to fall of the sky. I've read about many occurences throughout the different drone forums I participate in.

I did not ment it as humor. The drone's LiPo batteries that have not had their proper maintenance have been known to break a cell mid flight, causing the drone to fall of the sky. I've read about many occurences throughout the different drone forums I participate in.

This is good awareness, definitely... I am sure a lot of drone owners don't even know about this... However, at the same time, how many stories have you heard where the conditioned batteries still yield the same issue you described above?

I totally see your point/reminder though...

This is good awareness, definitely... I am sure a lot of drone owners don't even know about this... However, at the same time, how many stories have you heard where the conditioned batteries still yield the same issue you described above?

I totally see your point/reminder though...
Oh, it may happen to a conditioned battery as well. The difference is that they last longer and you lower the posibility of it occuring. When you do proper maintenance, the battery loses over time it's capability of holding charge and eventually you will see your flights dont last as long. I've read somewhere that after 60 cycles, be wary of that battery and if you need to use it, inspect it constantly.

It's to windy for an enjoyable flight. Someone suggested to let it stay on the ground with the motors on, but those turn off after 60 seconds of no action.

The Evo gets pretty hot from sitting there. I'll see what I come up with tomorrow. Currently charging the batteries.

Just found out that the charging of the Evo batteries take longer than the Phantom's batteries, which are bigger.
I don’t turn the motors on, I just let it sit powered on. The XSP gets warm, but the batteries slowly drain as far down as you dare to go...

I do the same but I record video at the same time. Great option if you want to do a time lapse.

Reactions: Ansia
The Evo autolands, no matter how much stick you put at 12%. So I wasn't able to take it down to 7%.

You don’t have to be flying for the Batteries to discharge, just set it on your desk and leave it on. Discharges fairly rapidly actually!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles