Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

CrystalSky or Not?

rangerb3

Reaction score
I have an IPad Mini 4 with Matt screen protector which seems ok outside but, I'm also considering a used 5.5 CrystalSky...

I know about the Tripltek but I'm not ready to output that amount for something I would dedicate only to the Evo 2.

I also have many years in computers and so I'm aware of the plus & minuses between old and new technology between the devices...I'm just not sure what I want to do right now...

I could just wait and limp along with the mini 4 until I actually KNOW what Im going to need or want with this new adventure.

Thoughts?

I have an IPad Mini 4 with Matt screen protector which seems ok outside but, I'm also considering a used 5.5 CrystalSky...

I know about the Tripltek but I'm not ready to output that amount for something I would dedicate only to the Evo 2.

I also have many years in computers and so I'm aware of the plus & minuses between old and new technology between the devices...I'm just not sure what I want to do right now...

I could just wait and limp along with the mini 4 until I actually KNOW what Im going to need or want with this new adventure.

Thoughts?

I think only you can answer that question for yourself, there is a pretty good thread here on tablets. I've been using an iPad mini since about 2016 and flown hundreds of hours with it and a glare protector. I simply use my body for shade or find a tree or building; its certainly hard to see in daylight at times but I always manage to get by. I personally stick with it because I like not having to deal with Android's fractured eco system and having to wait on the vendor to update their Android build to work with the tablet that I own.

I was skittish about buying the Tripltek (almost 8") Pro but after many reviews I decided the extra coin was worth it in this case. With plenty of RAM and up to 384 Gb of storage; it's fairly future proof for a while. It boots up in about 20 seconds. The brightness was the key thing for my over 60 eyes though. Gotta be able to see what the camera sees.

Today I downloaded/installed a few video apps that will allow me to watch my 4K videos. Couldn't do that with the good but anemic Samsung Galaxy 8" Tab A I've been using or the Galaxy 9+ (I think) I daily carry.

As herein said; it's a personal choice between you and your wallet. I prefer PC's and Androids over Apple products but that's just me.

I think only you can answer that question for yourself, there is a pretty good thread here on tablets. I've been using an iPad mini since about 2016 and flown hundreds of hours with it and a glare protector. I simply use my body for shade or find a tree or building; its certainly hard to see in daylight at times but I always manage to get by. I personally stick with it because I like not having to deal with Android's fractured eco system and having to wait on the vendor to update their Android build to work with the tablet that I own.
All very good points. I was a late adopter in using IOS in aviation as well. I opted to go with aviation moving map options that either used Android or the Microsoft OS and those programs, features, & updates were ALWAYS lagging behind the IOS offerings. Since migrating over to the Ipad mini 4 on my aviation programs, I've been extremely happy and I've really never been a big IOS fan. I've rarely seen hiccups with IOS offerings as I did with the other OS's and that's why I never leave home now without my mini!

I had already read the thread you referenced. I do like reading and understanding all options available.

I'm always over-thinking or over spending when I get into new things and this venture is no different. I could have easily got a cheaper drone for my 1st but, after doing the research the Evo 2 just kept calling to me. I think I will stay with the mini for now and just see how things progress but was hoping to hear from others who have struggled with the same decisions.

Thanks for your input....

I was skittish about buying the Tripltek (almost 8") Pro but after many reviews I decided the extra coin was worth it in this case. With plenty of RAM and up to 384 Gb of storage; it's fairly future proof for a while. It boots up in about 20 seconds. The brightness was the key thing for my over 60 eyes though. Gotta be able to see what the camera sees.

Today I downloaded/installed a few video apps that will allow me to watch my 4K videos. Couldn't do that with the good but anemic Samsung Galaxy 8" Tab A I've been using or the Galaxy 9+ (I think) I daily carry.

As herein said; it's a personal choice between you and your wallet. I prefer PC's and Androids over Apple products but that's just me.
I agree...there's a lot of value in obtaining the TT Pro tablet over the CS. I've always been MS OS & Android and that's why I got excited when I found out about the Tripltek...but recently went to the "Classified" section and saw the 5.5" CS for sale so that got me thinking...for 1/2 that coin, I could get a pretty decent daylight viewable screen with the CS and not have to stretch the bank at this time!

I will probably use my mini 4 for now and later-on look into getting the TT Pro tablet. I do like being able to combine multiple tasks into one device and the CS just doesn't represent or offer a good path moving forward into the future!

I agree...there's a lot of value in obtaining the TT Pro tablet over the CS. I've always been MS OS & Android and that's why I got excited when I found out about the Tripltek...but recently went to the "Classified" section and saw the 5.5" CS for sale so that got me thinking...for 1/2 that coin, I could get a pretty decent daylight viewable screen with the CS and not have to stretch the bank at this time!

I will probably use my mini 4 for now and later-on look into getting the TT Pro tablet. I do like being able to combine multiple tasks into one device and the CS just doesn't represent or offer a good path moving forward into the future!
I have an excellent CS 5.5" for sale $350. Plus shipping. In original box and includes optional charger which it didn’t come with. PM if interested, photos available. Used with EVO, Explore installed.

Thoughts?
I have the CS I use from ,y Inspire 2 and Matrice. Big improvement over the phones. I'm using the Lifythor adaptor to mount it. Unfortunately the controller won't fit in the case now with it on. The CS comes off with the turn of the two thumb screws though. Just waiting for Autel to come out with their smArt controller!

Thoughts?
I have the CS I use from ,y Inspire 2 and Matrice. Big improvement over the phones. I'm using the Lifythor adaptor to mount it. Unfortunately the controller won't fit in the case now with it on. The CS comes off with the turn of the two thumb screws though. Just waiting for Autel to come out with their smArt controller!

I have an excellent CS 5.5" for sale $350. Plus shipping. In original box and includes optional charger which it didn’t come with. PM if interested, photos available. Used with EVO, Explore installed.
Hi Dave,
That's a great price especially when it coms with the correct charger, apps already loaded, & ready to fly! That's going to be a hard one to pass up! I got a good deal on my used Evo 2 but, even then it was a stretch during these hard times!

I appreciate you letting me know and I will keep that in mind...but, I'm going to use my mini 4 for now and probably get something later after I've had some time to rebound financially. I already stretched the budget on getting the Evo 2 so, any further and something will have to give...LOL!

I was thinking of a hard case but for now will probably get a good camera bag. I think it will fit my current needs better than a hard case . I have the SkyFire Aerial Deluxe mount so, I feel good about that if and when I decide what viewing device works best for me.

Anyway, still lots of other things to consider before I spend a large amount on a tablet....

Last edited:
I will prob list my c.s. for sale in the classified shortly. I sprung for the tt and as soon as I can verify that I like it, I'll make the switch. used c.s. will need a new home.

Thoughts?

I have been using a Tripltek Pro for months with my Evo2P, M2Z, Mini 2 and as a normal tablet (the upside to Tripltek over the CS). I also have a data only Sim in it which allows me to use it without a hotspot from my cell phone. The Tripltek is the better option over the CS High Brightness 7.8 for price, battery life, screen brightness, Sim card option, 128gb internal memory and it runs on a 64bit processor. I have CS 5.5 in the classifieds here if that is the way you want to go.

I purchased a Crystalsky (not the high spec version) a few years ago now - initially using it exclusively with the two DJI Mavic series UAVs I was flying at the time.
For various reasons - mainly to do with unending problems around not being able to take off in both restricted and unrestricted areas - even with DJI authorisations, and losing some work in the process, I sold both DJI's.
I now fly Yuneec (which has its own remote unit), but the Crystalsky monitor is used exclusively with an Autel EVOII. Very occasionally there has been issues with the remote and monitor not connecting on start up; a problem that has always been quickly resolved. Beyond that, I have been more than happy with what is essentially "cross platform" integration.

Happy and safe flying :cool:;)

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't happy with the iPad mini 4, my phone, or my wife's Samsung S7 Android tablet so, I went ahead and ordered the Tripltek Pro tablet from Empire Drones! I also ordered the new TT mount to fit my Skyfire Aerial mount. I was really considering a used CrystalSky but in the end, I went with the more future-proofed TT unit.

I'm pretty sure either would have worked but again, the newer design won me over.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to lightening my wallet!

Last edited:
or my wife's Samsung S7 Android tablet
did you have any connection issues? I bought my wife one in hopes I could use it to cal my drone if it needs a tuneup. I don't expect to fly with it, just cals and settings. thanks

No connection issues at all...just wasn't bright enough for me...the model number on her tablet is SM-T700 which has a beautiful Super AMOLED screen...it just would work in direct sunlight.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blindhout