Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Create a cinematic 'course lock' with a mission.

Rattlebars

Reaction score
Create a cinematic 'course lock' with a mission that has 2 waypoints and a POI. Start recording at waypoint one. Link both waypoints to the POI so it gets focus always. Fly your mission and you'll get results as shown in the video here:

Yes, that is to say, what you cannot do with the Evo with a mission since it stops at each waypoint and it cannot make a gradual ascent or descent between two points as managed by DJI and Litchi. But on the other hand we can do it but manually by doing a POI focus and by piloting it manually.
In Waypoints mode, you have to forget.

I did have a few comments about your post, but it speaks for itself. I have no reason to make stories up and my post said TWO waypoints so pauses are not a problem at all. I did, however, make a 5 waypoint video with TWO POIs to show that you can do it with altitude changes as well that are really cool. Pauses are easy to remove in post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew01
5 waypoints with 2 POIs plus altitude changes.

My apologies, but I have yet to figure out this board software which is counter intuitive AF. You will need to click above to see my video.

Rewind. If you DON"T at text to the URL it shows up. :oops:

One more note' I've had this EVO 2 for about a week or so plus a day job. More discoveries will be made as I go.

Last edited:
yes, done quite a few of these by now....including the altitude change.

try this. put your poi directly underneath the flight path so you drone will fly directly over the poi. they way it "spins" is cool!

Isn't there a new cruise mode that is similar to the DJI course lock?
Edited to add: Now that I a on my laptop... In the latest firmware there is a new Cruise mode in the Manual Hyperlapse mode but I haven't found anyone that has made a review or youtube of this feature.

Last edited:
Isn't there a new cruise mode that is similar to the DJI course lock?
Edited to add: Now that I a on my laptop... In the latest firmware there is a new Cruise mode in the Manual Hyperlapse mode but I haven't found anyone that has made a review or youtube of this feature.
thanks for reminding us. yes, cruise mode briefly mentioned here:

yes, done quite a few of these by now....including the altitude change.

try this. put your poi directly underneath the flight path so you drone will fly directly over the poi. they way it "spins" is cool!
I will try that!

Create a cinematic 'course lock' with a mission that has 2 waypoints and a POI. Start recording at waypoint one. Link both waypoints to the POI so it gets focus always. Fly your mission and you'll get results as shown in the video here:
Hey Rattlebars I see you found the board and are hard at it.....What is that picture you are using?

I used to use the course lock function all of the time with my Phantom 1. The controller had a dedicated lever that you could flip whenever you needed to, (without having to dive into multiple layers of screens on an app). I miss that with the newer tech. This being said, the old 3DR 'Smart Shots' for the Solo is still the standard by which all others try to emulate.

Coarse lock was so much easier with my old Typhoon H with its 360-deg camera. Just fly straight ahead in the desired direction, and swivel and tilt the camera as desired. Now, since the EVO II Pro gimbal is capable of +/- 90-deg gimbal yaw (see: EVO II Pro specification), it would be cool if that flexibility were available to us to use. Just fly straight sideways and yaw the gimbal. Who needs more than +/-90-deg?

Reactions: John Hennessy
Yesterday I was flying sideways for a long time and noticed I was getting an indicated 22mph. This and the side obstacle sensors made me feel a little better about not having a gimble that can be adjusted left or right like the Mavic 2.

Flat Earther's Paradise[emoji23]

Made a second mission video with 5 points & 2 POIs. I think I will stay with this second one as I track progress on the new neighborhood going up nearby.

Thanks for showing us how way points and POI can work together. I'll have to try that.
I like the dirt berm to deflect highway noise away from the new houses.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d