Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Crazy experience yesterday

Shadowwalker

Reaction score
I’m playing around in my backyard with my evo and only fly about head high because I’m in a NFZ.
Just out of no where it starts to climb very fast and the only way to get it lower is to hold the the joystick down and not let up and if I release it,it starts to climb very fast again.
I could not get it to land but just holding the joystick down kept it at a reasonable height so finally I got enough control of it to land.
There were power lines close by and could the power lines cause this?

Did you try Pause or RTH? Curious what the response would have been. No idea what could have caused it....controller calibration off?

LP

This happened to me before. You need to wait until the Evo have sufficient satellites and will tell you on the remote when it's GPS locked. If you take off without satellites, it will fly without control, going up by itself.

I crashed one time my previous Evo because it went out of control... I didn't wait for the GPS and this what happened.

This happened to me before. You need to wait until the Evo have sufficient satellites and will tell you on the remote when it's GPS locked. If you take off without satellites, it will fly without control, going up by itself.

I crashed one time my previous Evo because it went out of control... I didn't wait for the GPS and this what happened.

I had GPS and had been flying for over twenty minutes.I had to hold the joystick down because if I did not it would shoot up like a rocket.
I was going to hold down the joystick until the battery drained all the way but finally I was able to land it.
One other thing I get magnetic interference if I wear my garman fitness watch which has GPS so I remove it before I fly.

I’ve had this happen to me twice in the 3 weeks I’ve owned the Evo. The most recent was this evening. Had been flying for about 12 minutes and tried bring it in. Manual landing. At about 6 feet it stops. I let go of the thumb stick and it tries to rapidly elevate. So I pull it back down. I was going to hand catch it. As soon as my hand got under it, it landed. When this happened before I was testing the return to home feature. Did the exact same thing. It was bouncing. Down then up a couple feet and kept doing it. I took it out of RTH. Eventually it landed. This is quite concerning.

Last edited:
Please do not rely on the RTH function. It is a safety feature, like airbags. If you fly your drones manually, many of these weird glitches won't happen.

Also, anything that creates a field will interfere with your Evo. Taking off near a large metal object, bluetooths, wifis, etc may play with the Evo telemetries, causing it to get false readings, thus it will try to correct itself and that is how fly aways happen. I have experienced this myself with other drones. Only difference is, you cannot switch the Evo into ATTI, so I don't know how you will be able to get control back.

If you can, turn VPS off. Most low altitude errors are caused due to VPS misreading the floor. I've read so many interesting stories of drones shooting into the sky, because it believes it's lower than it really is.

The only time I had something similar to this happen was when I got to a low battery warning.

Any time that has happened to me, was because it was trying to return home because battery was low. It wants to climb to the RTH altitude before landing. Just pause it, and manually land it.

I’m playing around in my backyard with my evo and only fly about head high because I’m in a NFZ.
Just out of no where it starts to climb very fast and the only way to get it lower is to hold the the joystick down and not let up and if I release it,it starts to climb very fast again.
I could not get it to land but just holding the joystick down kept it at a reasonable height so finally I got enough control of it to land.
There were power lines close by and could the power lines cause this?
I also had that happen to me...I believe it was because i was flying alarmingly TOO LOW on on Battery power...may not be your situation but i experienced a Yo Yo type experience ...the Evo Up + Down for no apparent reason...TOO LOW on battery !

They are ultrasound. Even if they get dirty, they will continue to work.
I've heard reports that the sensor also makes hand catching difficult. Is there any downside to turning off that function as described in post #10? My Typhoon H has no downward sensors and I can fly it, land it, hand catch it, etc. without any problem.

I've heard reports that the sensor also makes hand catching difficult. Is there any downside to turning off that function as described in post #10? My Typhoon H has no downward sensors and I can fly it, land it, hand catch it, etc. without any problem.
If you sneak up on it from the side, rather than trying to reach up to it from underneath, it can still be handcaught easily, even with it on. Hover it at head height, and grab it from beneath from the the blindspot on one of the sides!

It depends on where you like to land. Basically it's function is to scan the floor as it's approaching to prevent obstacles and crash.

Any time that has happened to me, was because it was trying to return home because battery was low. It wants to climb to the RTH altitude before landing. Just pause it, and manually land it.
Thats another thing that needs corrected. The ability to lower it and not have it return to the height it was at.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel