Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Crashed Evo 1 today.

jlanni

Reaction score
Bringing the Evo 1 out of hibernation today, It crashed. I was in the process of testing the dependability of my oldest and probable most used batteries. While on #2 and #3 battery that I fully charged yesterday, #2 went to 3 lights and 18 minutes flight time. After hovering and doing some orientation and checking functions it went low battery warning, then damaged battery and landed right where it started on the picnic table. No problem, Went to #3 and started off the same way with 20 minutes FT, yes I know so save it. Doing very low altitude while walking behind it, I noticed 18, then 15, then 13 minutes very quickly. I was in the process of getting it on the ground when it went to critical low and shot up to RTH altitude, realizing what was happening I tried to steer it though some tree branches. I don't think it was actually working but looked like it did avoiding a few but went up into the cover and hit some small branches. I estimate altitude about 55 to 65 feet. I watched it overturn and come down upside down. Not sure if the motors were still running but I'm guess they were in full power heading for the Hard top all the while trying to steer it. Again, not sure if I was steering but it did seen to get over the few feet that I needed and went into some light brush but did make it to harder ground and what I would consider a very hard landing. The battery came off and landed about 5 feet away. When I turned it over, I expected pieces to fall off of it and camera gimbal broke. I found that it was all intact after I opened the two rear landing gear that folded. I snapped the battery back on not thinking to shut it off first and the did its thing. Lights all came on. Top of drone and battery are all marked up but everything it together. Engine fired up with the props spinning on the picnic table. Shut it down, to look at it and clean it up at home. Even though I dislike Autel, I have always liked this drone until the EOL issues and battery issues. It is one tough bird. I cleaned it up and was looking at the props for damage, they really should have broken but were intact. I was going to change them and I still will but left them on until I could find the answer to this. The front and rear props on the starboard side, one blade on the set both front and rear is shorter by about a 1/2 inch. The two sets on the port side both blades are the same length. The new blades which I haven't put on yet are the same. ???. I'm going to continue on test the rest on the batteries 10 of them if the drone still functions as it should. It will be for sale after I see what I have. Buying a new drone, it won't be an Autel but I did like this Evo 1 largely due to Autel's policies. Upset about the crash but not really.

Yes their batteries suck. My first four all died around the same time with only 35 flights on them. I was able to buy some more at Best Buy last year but crashed the Evo a month ago. No visible damage but the gimbal was all wonky, wouldn't stabilize. I sent it into Autel because they still had parts. I got an estimate for $360 and while mulling it over, the DJI Mini Pro 3 came out. No sense throwing good money after bad with Autel, especially if I can't get batteries anymore.

What percentage do you store your batteries at? Do you use the auto discharge feature?

Yes their batteries suck. My first four all died around the same time with only 35 flights on them. I was able to buy some more at Best Buy last year but crashed the Evo a month ago. No visible damage but the gimbal was all wonky, wouldn't stabilize. I sent it into Autel because they still had parts. I got an estimate for $360 and while mulling it over, the DJI Mini Pro 3 came out. No sense throwing good money after bad with Autel, especially if I can't get batteries anymore.
I agree. Can't make chicken salad from chicken crap. I wwas going in the same direction but was wondering about the geofencing? Has that been much of or any issue at all? Best buy still had a battery for sale but the 49 dollars batteries are long gone. They want 99 dollars for a battery. So far testing my batteries has yielded 3 good ones with 4 more to test fly. The drone is functioning flawlessly. BB also had a combo, two batteries, 2 props and a soft bag for 209. I bought the same combo last year but I don't want two more batteries or another bag. If I end up with 6 good batteries, I'll just let the EVO 1 die a peaceful death and move over to DJI.

What percentage do you store your batteries at? Do you use the auto discharge feature?
50-60% I started testing with the oldest first. The two I did yesterday turned out good so I'm thinking the rest may be good as they have less time on them and recharges on them. I do use the auto discharge but as a rule I will put 2-3 solid lights on them after use. There have been times where I have fully charged batteries for use and not used them. What I have notice with the batteries is that they are failing in the order of age more so than use. The first two and original batteries literally gave me a damaged battery code within a flight of each other. I'm thinking EOL is programmed in to the batteries regardless. That may be a stretch. I do not believe in coincidences much.

50-60% I started testing with the oldest first. The two I did yesterday turned out good so I'm thinking the rest may be good as they have less time on them and recharges on them. I do use the auto discharge but as a rule I will put 2-3 solid lights on them after use. There have been times where I have fully charged batteries for use and not used them. What I have notice with the batteries is that they are failing in the order of age more so than use. The first two and original batteries literally gave me a damaged battery code within a flight of each other. I'm thinking EOL is programmed in to the batteries regardless. That may be a stretch. I do not believe in coincidences much.
There is cause and effect going on here. I have read where some people have their batteries lasting and continue to work, and others die prematurely. The best I have come up with in my research is that the individual cells inside the battery packs have differences in voltage. When those differences exceed a preprogrammed overall voltage level, the drone interprets the battery as "bad" and then begins its preprogrammed shutdown process.
The trick here is to re-balance the batteries so they are all in "sync" and report a constant voltage. After all, the drone is simply doing what it is programmed to do, which is to protect itself from varying voltages. If voltages vary, then the onboard electronics can't function properly and the drone won't fly like it is designed to do.
So what to do? Well, if an individual cell inside is truly "bad", the only cure is to replace it. But OTOH, if we can get access to those individual cells without physically taking apart the whole battery pack, we might be able to rebalance things. This is being done successfully with other batteries besides Autel, so that tells me it is possible with Autel batteries too. The problem is that no one has bothered to deal with Autel batteries because there isn't much monetary incentive.

Reactions: uas_gian and jlanni
There is cause and effect going on here. I have read where some people have their batteries lasting and continue to work, and others die prematurely. The best I have come up with in my research is that the individual cells inside the battery packs have differences in voltage. When those differences exceed a preprogrammed overall voltage level, the drone interprets the battery as "bad" and then begins its preprogrammed shutdown process.
The trick here is to re-balance the batteries so they are all in "sync" and report a constant voltage. After all, the drone is simply doing what it is programmed to do, which is to protect itself from varying voltages. If voltages vary, then the onboard electronics can't function properly and the drone won't fly like it is designed to do.
So what to do? Well, if an individual cell inside is truly "bad", the only cure is to replace it. But OTOH, if we can get access to those individual cells without physically taking apart the whole battery pack, we might be able to rebalance things. This is being done successfully with other batteries besides Autel, so that tells me it is possible with Autel batteries too. The problem is that no one has bothered to deal with Autel batteries because there isn't much monetary incentive.
I am not an electronics guy but this much makes sense to me. You are right about the cells. I do not believe they are bad however the batteries I have deemed bad do have varying voltages. Not by much and in some cases only one. I suppose that is all it would take to interfere with normal functions. I have not given up on the bad batteries but I will not use them again that is for certain until a remedy could be found. I have tried the quakamoly home cures that many have suggested I think largely for a laugh, none worked. I did keep recharging them though hoping for a change. All the bad batteries power the drone and all its functions except flight. It is a mystery to me why some die prematurely and others live a long life aside of the obvious potential causes, misuse and abuse. I'm still flying so that is a good thing. I'm glad I do not use this drone for work. Thanks for your input.

I agree. Can't make chicken salad from chicken crap. I wwas going in the same direction but was wondering about the geofencing? Has that been much of or any issue at all? Best buy still had a battery for sale but the 49 dollars batteries are long gone. They want 99 dollars for a battery. So far testing my batteries has yielded 3 good ones with 4 more to test fly. The drone is functioning flawlessly. BB also had a combo, two batteries, 2 props and a soft bag for 209. I bought the same combo last year but I don't want two more batteries or another bag. If I end up with 6 good batteries, I'll just let the EVO 1 die a peaceful death and move over to DJI.
If i might ask..what's wrong with ruko?

wow friend that is strong what you are saying the same thing happened to me with the evo 1 that they gave me because they could not get spare parts for the gimbal, I wonder if you would sell me the gimbal to see if it would work for me as a spare.

Attachments

• 20230425_093521.jpg
    20230425_093521.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230425_093604.jpg
    20230425_093604.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 1
wow friend that is strong what you are saying the same thing happened to me with the evo 1 that they gave me because they could not get spare parts for the gimbal, I wonder if you would sell me the gimbal to see if it would work for me as a spare.
They had my Evo for 3 months or so. I would call, be put on hold only many minutes later given the option to leave a message. Did that several times and finally got my Evo back. Well they must have fixed it because it does work but the best thing no charge. I might be willing to sell the entire package, Evo+controller+batteries+nd filters. ND filters are a must unless you like props in your shot. Piss poor design by Autel on that one.

They had my Evo for 3 months or so. I would call, be put on hold only many minutes later given the option to leave a message. Did that several times and finally got my Evo back. Well they must have fixed it because it does work but the best thing no charge. I might be willing to sell the entire package, Evo+controller+batteries+nd filters. ND filters are a must unless you like props in your shot. Piss poor design by Autel on that one.
ahhh ok they are wrong with these issues of spare parts and repairs, I am from Panama and the cost only for shipping is 400 and the rest I would buy another DJI drone and as soon as you would sell me the package to see if I manage my budget, and if You know who has a damaged one but a good gimbal would be much better.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials