Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Cracks and a couple other questions??

cb4017

Reaction score
So last year I bought a DJI P3A. It flew fine and I liked it. I babied it, hand catch landings, no crashes, etc. But, with probably less than 10 hours flight time it developed cracks in the motor mount area. That and I always had a slight feeling of impending doom while flying, worried that it would fly away or do something else crazy. Anyway, DJI fixed it and had it back to me in a couple of weeks but it soured me on the drone. I had no confidence it wouldn't happen again so I sold it.

I have the itch for another and was considering taking a chance with another P3 or P4. I recently discovered the Autel X-Star Premium. The thing seems like it's built like a tank and I'm intrigued. I'm seriously considering one. Overall it seems to have great reviews but questions are.

Any reports of cracks in the shell?
Fly away reports?
How does the range compare to DJI? I live in the high desert and was able to get my P3A out to 10,000 feet.

Thanks!
Cliff

I've had my XSP for a few months and have made a good many flights. I've had no crashes and no hard landings. I don't see any stress cracks or signs of fatigue on the aircraft. It seems the most common complaint I see on the forums is loss of video signal, which I've experienced pretty much every flight. The XSP is a great aircraft, very stable and easy to fly. Autel has outstanding support and continues to work on bug fixes. It's the only drone I've owned so I can't compare to DJI, though I have several friends flying DJI. Hope this helps.

There are people that get motor mount cracks. It was a common problem a few months back. Autel said the screws got over tightened at the factory. I have experience cracks at the back where the battery goes in. I figure they came about from a RTH landing and it came down a little harder then normal and it was -20C at the time making the plastic very brittle. I just used Bondic and its probably stronger then before.
Bondic® Starter Kit Complete

20170129_102320.jpg 20170129_102329.jpg

Reactions: Wrsdas
Thanks for the information. The cracks are discouraging. I'm forming the opinion that there is no real advantage in getting the Autel over the DJI.

Thanks for the information. The cracks are discouraging. I'm forming the opinion that there is no real advantage in getting the Autel over the DJI.

I've had my XSP since July of last year, I've read most posts on the user forums (no Facebook) for the past year and I've never heard anyone complain of stress cracks. The pictures posted looked more like crash fractures to me, dji shells were cracking do to motor stress with most restricted to the motor housing mounts.
Myself.....the lack of 3rd party apps and flight range would be larger issues than stress cracks. Fly Safe whatever you choose:)

Well, the third party apps are not an issue for me. Then there is that nice case that comes with the Autel. And batteries are cheaper....

Hello,
This is my first time posting to this forum but have had my XSP since December 2016. It was a gift and was probably one of the best gifts I have received. I made many flights with this drone and loved every second of it. In fact, my buddy bought an XSP after he flew mine and we now sometimes go fly on our lunch break to get out of the office. We like to call it our therapy. With that being said, we attempted to fly yesterday for lunch. I performed my preflight inspection as I always do and noticed a crack right around the motor. My eyes got big when I saw this. I began to inspect the rest of the aircraft and noticed the next arm over was cracked on the top and bottom of the shell in almost the same spot. I can honestly say that I never crashed this thing once and am curious on how I can get my XSP fixed. Is there some kind of warranty on the shell of the aircraft? Would Autel replace the shell if I contacted them? I am afraid to fly my XSP with those cracks. These cracks could not have been there for too long because I thoroughly inspect my aircraft every time. Would someone please point me in the right direction with this issue?

Thank you,
Biessenberger

Those are stress cracks. It is a very common problem. Most occur right near where a screw is. Autel has said in the past that screws could have been over tightened in the factory. Yes they will replace the shell if you still have warranty. Turn around time is between 14 days to a month.
Go here and use the live chat option. Or you can try and call them but I have been told the live chat option is faster.
Autel Robotics | Camera Drones & Quadcopters

They will ask if you have ever crashed it and if you are running aftermarket props like carbon fiber props.

Reactions: Biessenberger
Those are stress cracks. It is a very common problem. Most occur right near where a screw is. Autel has said in the past that screws could have been over tightened in the factory. Yes they will replace the shell if you still have warranty. Turn around time is between 14 days to a month.
Go here and use the live chat option. Or you can try and call them but I have been told the live chat option is faster.
Autel Robotics | Camera Drones & Quadcopters

They will ask if you have ever crashed it and if you are running aftermarket props like carbon fiber props.

Agustine,

Thank you for the speedy and helpful reply. I will contact Autel through the chat link you provided. After all is said and done, I will report back to this thread to let others know how this process goes. By the way, everything is factory on my bird.

Biessenberger

Reactions: Wrsdas
Hello,
This is my first time posting to this forum but have had my XSP since December 2016. It was a gift and was probably one of the best gifts I have received. I made many flights with this drone and loved every second of it. In fact, my buddy bought an XSP after he flew mine and we now sometimes go fly on our lunch break to get out of the office. We like to call it our therapy. With that being said, we attempted to fly yesterday for lunch. I performed my preflight inspection as I always do and noticed a crack right around the motor. My eyes got big when I saw this. I began to inspect the rest of the aircraft and noticed the next arm over was cracked on the top and bottom of the shell in almost the same spot. I can honestly say that I never crashed this thing once and am curious on how I can get my XSP fixed. Is there some kind of warranty on the shell of the aircraft? Would Autel replace the shell if I contacted them? I am afraid to fly my XSP with those cracks. These cracks could not have been there for too long because I thoroughly inspect my aircraft every time. Would someone please point me in the right direction with this issue?

Thank you,
Biessenberger

Therapy it is and much needed.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials