Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Compatible Tablets?

Just to add my two cents on this one. I have been flying drones for years...tried all sorts of tablets (Android only) and found all of them not bright enough....yes they work, but you end up trying to figure out how to get around the oh, not so bright screen. Some options:
Spend the $$ and get a TRIPLTEK tablet. Full Android tablet, including the ability to take a cell sim, so you can actually use it as a phone to get data in the field, 1200 nit screen, huge battery, built like a tank, no sun shade necessary. Use it with all your drones. Plenty of horsepower for any apps you want to throw at it.
Go onto Amazon and pick up a refurbished Samsung Note 8 and use this as a dedicated flying device. Super bright screen, but small-ish. I have found in the hot Hawaiian sun, this is the next best thing to the TRIPLTEK. I think the Note 8 was their brightest screen. Make sure you put the display settings on AUTO, this is the only way to get it to its brightest it can output.
IOS...iPad....never used one, so can't say, but herein2021 and others use them just fine. I imagine it would be ok to look for a used one, that would still work ok.

DJI Crystal Sky. Don't go this route with the Autel Explorer app. Yes, you can make it work, but the CS is locked down and you will most likely need to root it to get it to do what you want with using the Explorer app. Not worth it and DJI refuses to update the Android operating system on them. (I had the 5.5 one, sold it)

Nvidia Shield....I had this one too, sold it. Not bright enough.
Samsung tablets...not bright enough
Huawei tablets...not bright enough
Amazon Fire tablets...not bright enough...WAY not bright enough

However...if you use a sunshade, you could get away with just about any tablet. I have been down this road, so to save you time, money and frustration, it's TRIPLTEK or Samsung IMHO. You need the high NITS to combat the sun. There is NOTHING worse than being out flying, and the sun hits your screen and you can't see a thing...been there, done that.

Wait. There is another option. Do you like flying with FPV goggles? I don't, because you are cut off from the surrounding world, but no sun glare to worry about.
You can go with a cheap Chinese tablet that has HDMI out, and then use an HDMI goggle to view the screen. Here is one example:

What do you do if your tablet doesn't have HDMI output? Simple solution to this too...depending on what you consider simple: You DO NOT need HDMI output on your tablet or phone to send the Flying devices screen and screen share it via APP to your screen of choice also running Android, OR if you are just using FPV goggles, you would use an wireless screen module, supply power, connect both devices to the same Wifi and share your not so bright tablet to your goggles...lots of cables, but it works fine. iOS or Android. Notes in the description.

Or this video: (just pretend he is using an Autel Drone...same principal) [
]

I don't know how I missed this when I viewed this thread!

I purchased the Skyview Cobra X goggles which have a hdmi input connection. This seems too easy. If I understand this correctly. I need to do is purchase an hdmi wifi screen mirroring dongle and power it using a battery bank, plug it into the goggles and it should mirror the screen from the tablet or phone I have connected to the drone controller??

yes, its that easy. You run the mirror app on the phone or tablet connected to the RC, and run the Explorer app like normal. You supply power to the "dongle" and connect it to the goggles, turn on the goggles, and see the screen...which will give you any connect code. On the phone, you connect to the wifi of the dongle, OR you connect to a common wifi, and cast your phone screen to the goggles via the miracast app, which makes the connection.

There is a slight delay, depending on what dongle you use. Have you ever cast your phone to your TV screen? Same thing. Keep in mind you can't use an under powered phone or tablet....I don't think it will work as well as you want it to. I have several pairs of FPV goggles, including the DJI Goggles, and as long as the goggles have HDMI in, you are good to go! Remember the other option...if your goggles and tablet are running Android, you can skip the dongle and use a screen mirror app by itself, as long as both devices are connected to the same wifi...this also works well...I did this with my phone (Samsung S9) and the Crystal Sky 5.5, just to see if it would work, and it did. The mirror app needs to be installed on both devices if I remember correctly.

Another use for these "dongles" are for when you go on vacation and want to view your phone screen/tablet/videos on a hotel room TV. If the TV doesn't support screen casting, bring the dongle and you can share your videos/pictures with others without them having to view your phone screen, watch movies etc.

If I have time today, I will setup something and take some pictures of a setup, since I have all the parts needed, and several pairs of goggles.

Reactions: House Forasken
Thanks for your help!!! I ordered the Microsoft version of these (reviews say it works with Android and the lag is the lowest of them all. There is a kick starter (Hyper Mirror) which looks awesome also!
I cancelled my order for the Nvidia Shield K1 in hopes that this will be a more cost effective solution. If this doesn't provided the experience I am hoping for. I'll reorder the Nvidia, unless there are other tablets with and HDMI out that you'd recommend. I had the Simbans Tango Tab and the video feed was too laggy.

I'll have to do some research and see if the Skyzone Cobra X uses Android...I have my doubts lol.

Just did a quick test with a monitor screen I had....just think of the monitor screen as your goggles with HDMI in...the monitor is just that, a monitor...not running Android, or connected to Wifi. (dumb device)
Connected my phone - Samsung S9 and the TRIPLTEK tablet and cast the screen. Tried two different "dongles"
1. Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and
2. ActionTec ScreenBeamMini2

Both worked right away. You do NOT need them to be connected to a wireless network (the dongles) Just supply power to them. I used a battery pack for charging cell phones that had a full size USB connection for power.
Of the two...the Microsoft was less laggy, but BOTH had lag...I ran a stopwatch app and to the best of my ability, I concluded the ScreenBeamMini2 was lagging about .3 seconds, and the MS wireless Display Adapter was maybe 1/2 of that. Either of these would work fine, I imagine....as long as the phone or tablet have the ability to cast. I also connected a Huawei tablet to the MS dongle and it connected right away. Remember to turn off or disable any firewall app you may have installed on your phone or tablet.
**Just an added note....most, if not all of the "smart" tvs have this built in, so you can easily cast your screen to the tv and don't need a dongle.
***one more note....no app was run on the phone/tablet at all. I just went to system and on the Samsung phone ran what is called "Smartview", on the TRIPLTEK, its called "Cast" and on the Huawei, it's called "Mirrorshare". The "dongles" show up after fully starting up, then you just pick it and connect. Of course on the monitor/Goggles, you don't do a thing, except toggle to HDMI input.

Attachments

• 20210215_104026.jpg
    20210215_104026.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210215_104044.jpg
    20210215_104044.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210215_104500.jpg
    20210215_104500.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210215_105841.jpg
    20210215_105841.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: Eagle928
Just did a quick test with a monitor screen I had....just think of the monitor screen as your goggles with HDMI in...the monitor is just that, a monitor...not running Android, or connected to Wifi. (dumb device)
Connected my phone - Samsung S9 and the TRIPLTEK tablet and cast the screen. Tried two different "dongles"
1. Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and
2. ActionTec ScreenBeamMini2

Both worked right away. You do NOT need them to be connected to a wireless network (the dongles) Just supply power to them. I used a battery pack for charging cell phones that had a full size USB connection for power.
Of the two...the Microsoft was less laggy, but BOTH had lag...I ran a stopwatch app and to the best of my ability, I concluded the ScreenBeamMini2 was lagging about .3 seconds, and the MS wireless Display Adapter was maybe 1/2 of that. Either of these would work fine, I imagine....as long as the phone or tablet have the ability to cast. I also connected a Huawei tablet to the MS dongle and it connected right away. Remember to turn off or disable any firewall app you may have installed on your phone or tablet.
**Just an added note....most, if not all of the "smart" tvs have this built in, so you can easily cast your screen to the tv and don't need a dongle.
***one more note....no app was run on the phone/tablet at all. I just went to system and on the Samsung phone ran what is called "Smartview", on the TRIPLTEK, its called "Cast" and on the Huawei, it's called "Mirrorshare". The "dongles" show up after fully starting up, then you just pick it and connect. Of course on the monitor/Goggles, you don't do a thing, except toggle to HDMI input.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

My Cobra X goggles and Microsoft wireless hdmi should both be arriving today! ?. I'll update this if it works or doesn't.

Have you tested this with the drone airborne, and downrange?
Yes, Drone being near the device running explorer and Goggles has nothing to do with signal going to the goggles. The connection is between the dongle attached to Goggles/HDMI device and your device running the explorer app doing the casting. You could, for example...depending on your distance away while where the pilot is flying....have the dongle connected to the TV indoors for others to view, while you are flying outside, using a phone or tablet to fly with. As long as there is reception by the dongle, you should be good to go, and this would not affect the transmission from drone to RC/device running the Explorer app. As I said, I don't like using goggles...and the one draw back of doing this is that you can't control anything from the goggles...they are just for viewing what is directly on your phone/tablet. You would still use your phone/tablet to change any settings for the drone, then view the Explorer app on your goggles, like in my example picture. Remember there is some lag, not a whole lot, but for use with a camera drone, not in close quarters? This solution would work fine I would think.

Last edited:
Yes, Drone being near the device running explorer and Goggles has nothing to do with signal going to the goggles. The connection is between the Goggles/HDMI device and your device running the explorer app. You could, for example...depending on your distance away while where the pilot is flying....have the dongle connected to the TV indoors for others to view, while you are flying outside, using a phone or tablet to fly with. As long as there is reception by the dongle, you should be good to go, and this would not affect the transmission from drone to RC/device running the Explorer app. As I said, I don't like using goggles...and the one draw back of doing this is that you can't control anything from the goggles...they are just for viewing what is directly on your phone/tablet. You would still use your phone/tablet to change any settings for the drone, then view the Explorer app on your goggles, like in my example picture. Remember there is some lag, not a whole lot, but for use with a camera drone, not in close quarters? This solution would work fine I would think.

It worked!!!
(this was recorded on my Note 8 looking in the goggles. I was manually moving the drone around) don't judge the workshop lol.

Thank you for your help!! I'll take it for a flight this weekend and update.

Reactions: Quad808
Just to add an update. I tried another casting device, called MiraScreen: MPIO Wireless HDMI DIsplay Dongle Adapter
Don't buy this one...the Microsoft dongle works well.
This one is "glitchy" on video playback, where as the other two dongles I have work perfect. Video playback is as smooth as it is on the tablet. I plan on testing this weekend as well on maybe two different sets of goggles...one is the DJI Goggles...the original white ones, and I have a 1920x1080 box goggles I can test too. The box goggles may look funny, but they are super light and have a great screen in them, so will see.

This adapter is going back to Amazon.

Just to add an update. I tried another casting device, called MiraScreen: MPIO Wireless HDMI DIsplay Dongle Adapter
Don't buy this one...the Microsoft dongle works well.
This one is "glitchy" on video playback, where as the other two dongles I have work perfect. Video playback is as smooth as it is on the tablet. I plan on testing this weekend as well on maybe two different sets of goggles...one is the DJI Goggles...the original white ones, and I have a 1920x1080 box goggles I can test too. The box goggles may look funny, but they are super light and have a great screen in them, so will see.

This adapter is going back to Amazon.

Can you post a link to the adapter you would recommend?

There is a new Microsoft miracast dongle that does 4k streaming. I have ordered this one to see and test the differences between the older one, linked above and this one:
Once it comes in, will let you know.

ok, did some minor testing on the MS 4k "dongle" I did NOT test at 4k to a 4K tv....latency is about the same as the older, non 4K "dongle" If you are only using this to send to goggles, stick with the older model. This new one I found latency is bad sometimes when connecting, so if that happens, (even with the older one) disconnect from it, power cycle the "dongle" and re-connect. Latency should be minimal.

I see refurbished/renewed iPad Mini's on Amazon for $130 to $160 or so.
Would that be a bad idea?

Which would be better iPad Mini or Android Tablet?
We are iPhone users and think it might be best to stick with the IOS platform.
Any thoughts/recommendations?

Google
Does anyone have a link to known compatible Tablets and Phones that will work with the Explorer App and Evo drones?
Google autel explorer apk download and run it will work on any table. As long as u have 2g ram

I don't want a brighter 8" Tablet that costs as much as a flagship phone but has the none of the perks of a top tier device. Flagship tablets and phones can edit 4K video now. I want to use it as a portfolio display device when I'm not flying a drone, and I also want bigger than an 8" diagonal so that leaves out the Tripletek Pro. Already have a 6.2" Pixel with an OLED (4a 5G). It's a gorgeous and a color accurate display. I'm leaning toward a 10.5" Samsung Galaxy S6 that'll run Android 11. 695 Nits, I expect the saturation and contrast of Super AMOLED is more significant than just how bright it is. Used/mint these can be found for under $350

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials