Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Compatible Tablets?

10" Huawei T5 with 4Gb Ram...works OK with Beta Autel Explorer, have problems with stable AE...Also my phone have problems with stable version of AE, but works ok with Beta version...

After using it for a couple of months with my AE2 Pro 6K now, I'm still very happy with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (Super AMOLED, 8GB RAM, 256GB Wifi version). It was a bargain mint/refurb for $320 off eBay. The bright 10.5" view is a big help with composition and focus confirmation. I think it would be an ideal resolution match for the 2.7K video transmission the new Evo Lite is supposed to ship with. The 1080p downlink is less than ideal with a tablet this high in resolution. It all works best when the MicroSD cards are formated using Samsung Device Care from the reader in the Tab S6. When I do this, the cards can be read across the Evo 2, my Win10 Thinkpad, and using the little SmartQ external USB-C reader.
Best of all, and a surprise just discovered as more typically I shoot in 4K is that the Tab S6 doesn't choke on 6K videos-- it just plays them effortlessly. Not even my workstation Thinkpad does this!
It also quickly became the go-to device I prefer for most other uses (besides just flying the drone).

After using it for a couple of months with my AE2 Pro 6K now, I'm still very happy with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 (Super AMOLED, 8GB RAM, 256GB Wifi version). It was a bargain mint/refurb for $320 off eBay. The bright 10.5" view is a big help with composition and focus confirmation. I think it would be an ideal resolution match for the 2.7K video transmission the new Evo Lite is supposed to ship with. The 1080p downlink is less than ideal with a tablet this high in resolution. It all works best when the MicroSD cards are formated using Samsung Device Care from the reader in the Tab S6. When I do this, the cards can be read across the Evo 2, my Win10 Thinkpad, and using the little SmartQ external USB-C reader.
Best of all, and a surprise just discovered as more typically I shoot in 4K is that the Tab S6 doesn't choke on 6K videos-- it just plays them effortlessly. Not even my workstation Thinkpad does this!
It also quickly became the go-to device I prefer for most other uses (besides just flying the drone).
How many nits?

Reactions: Eagle928
Don't know and don't really care so long as it's bright enough, and it certainly is for my purposes. I'm a photographer who generally avoids the middle of noon because the light that time of day generally sucks for photography whenever it's sunny. I don't buy the argument that absolute nits are the be-all and end-all. (FWIW the scale is not linear, so 1400 nits are not twice as bright as 700 nits and 2100 nits are not 3 times as bright.) Gamut and color fidelity of this tablet is phenomenal, like the best calibrated PC monitor I've ever seen. And, at the risk of being redundant, it plays back my 6K videos without stutter. (it's a 2700x1600 display)

Last edited:
Yes. Such a good thread I just ordered an 8G Tripletek on Amazon for shipping to Portugal! Thanks everyone!

Just to add my two cents on this one. I have been flying drones for years...tried all sorts of tablets (Android only) and found all of them not bright enough....yes they work, but you end up trying to figure out how to get around the oh, not so bright screen. Some options:
Spend the $$ and get a TRIPLTEK tablet. Full Android tablet, including the ability to take a cell sim, so you can actually use it as a phone to get data in the field, 1200 nit screen, huge battery, built like a tank, no sun shade necessary. Use it with all your drones. Plenty of horsepower for any apps you want to throw at it.
Go onto Amazon and pick up a refurbished Samsung Note 8 and use this as a dedicated flying device. Super bright screen, but small-ish. I have found in the hot Hawaiian sun, this is the next best thing to the TRIPLTEK. I think the Note 8 was their brightest screen. Make sure you put the display settings on AUTO, this is the only way to get it to its brightest it can output.
IOS...iPad....never used one, so can't say, but herein2021 and others use them just fine. I imagine it would be ok to look for a used one, that would still work ok.

DJI Crystal Sky. Don't go this route with the Autel Explorer app. Yes, you can make it work, but the CS is locked down and you will most likely need to root it to get it to do what you want with using the Explorer app. Not worth it and DJI refuses to update the Android operating system on them. (I had the 5.5 one, sold it)

Nvidia Shield....I had this one too, sold it. Not bright enough.
Samsung tablets...not bright enough
Huawei tablets...not bright enough
Amazon Fire tablets...not bright enough...WAY not bright enough

However...if you use a sunshade, you could get away with just about any tablet. I have been down this road, so to save you time, money and frustration, it's TRIPLTEK or Samsung IMHO. You need the high NITS to combat the sun. There is NOTHING worse than being out flying, and the sun hits your screen and you can't see a thing...been there, done that.

Wait. There is another option. Do you like flying with FPV goggles? I don't, because you are cut off from the surrounding world, but no sun glare to worry about.
You can go with a cheap Chinese tablet that has HDMI out, and then use an HDMI goggle to view the screen. Here is one example:

What do you do if your tablet doesn't have HDMI output? Simple solution to this too...depending on what you consider simple: You DO NOT need HDMI output on your tablet or phone to send the Flying devices screen and screen share it via APP to your screen of choice also running Android, OR if you are just using FPV goggles, you would use an wireless screen module, supply power, connect both devices to the same Wifi and share your not so bright tablet to your goggles...lots of cables, but it works fine. iOS or Android. Notes in the description.

Or this video: (just pretend he is using an Autel Drone...same principal)
Have a Galaxy Tab A. Worked great for 2 or 3 years with a sun shield and brightness locked in outdoor mode. But last summer it worked great one week, but will no longer connect to the controller or drone ever since. Works fine with my phone so looks like I need a different tablet to get a larger image.

Have a Galaxy Tab A. Worked great for 2 or 3 years with a sun shield and brightness locked in outdoor mode. But last summer it worked great one week, but will no longer connect to the controller or drone ever since. Works fine with my phone so looks like I need a different tablet to get a larger image.
What size Galaxy Tab A do you have? Is it set to auto-update the operating system and OneUI? Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling Autel Explorer?
(If you're in the market for another Samsung, and had the Tab A that's very close in size to a Tab S6 you'd find that the S6 has a much better, brighter screen and a lot more RAM. Tab S6 is a Goldilocks 10.5" diagonal, suits my purposes well. It was the smallest Android tablet on the market with the Super AMOLED screen. The newer S7 and S8 are comparatively huge and expensive, and maybe not better or faster for our purposes. I can also tell you about a $10 hack that will keep the screen pegged at maximum nits)

Last edited:
I have a tad older Fire HD8 tablet and it won't even launch Explorer. Every other platform works. Downloaded it from the Play store and it won't even launch. Numerous re-installs and still nothing.

Does anyone have a link to known compatible Tablets and Phones that will work with the Explorer App and Evo drones?
I don't know of a link, but have some experience. I used a Galaxy Tab A (Android) for my EVO II Pro, which worked very well up to one weekend last summer, and then totally would not work the next weekend, or ever since. Multiple inquiries to Autel yielded zero response. I got a new Android phone (Galaxy S21) and downloaded the app from Play Store, and it worked fine last time I used it. However, the Autel Explorer app is no longer available on Play Store, nor on Autel's website for Android phones or tablets. I checked Apple Store on my wife's i-phone and the app is still available there. It appears Autel Explorer is available and will work on i-phones and i-pads, although I cannot confirm this for certain. It's been incredibly frustrating to have $4K into drone and accessories and am no longer able to use it.

I don't know of a link, but have some experience. I used a Galaxy Tab A (Android) for my EVO II Pro, which worked very well up to one weekend last summer, and then totally would not work the next weekend, or ever since. Multiple inquiries to Autel yielded zero response. I got a new Android phone (Galaxy S21) and downloaded the app from Play Store, and it worked fine last time I used it. However, the Autel Explorer app is no longer available on Play Store, nor on Autel's website for Android phones or tablets. I checked Apple Store on my wife's i-phone and the app is still available there. It appears Autel Explorer is available and will work on i-phones and i-pads, although I cannot confirm this for certain. It's been incredibly frustrating to have $4K into drone and accessories and am no longer able to use it.
Hmm, when I go to the Play Store it comes right up when I search for it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy