Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Compatible Tablets?

Eagle928

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to known compatible Tablets and Phones that will work with the Explorer App and Evo drones?

Good luck with that, documentation is surprisingly scarce when it comes to the EVO II. I can't even find a comprehensive codec spec sheet for the camera. I can tell you though that the iPad mini that I use is perfect for me. I would imagine though that any Android or iOS device would be compatible since they make an app for both; the only question really is how big do you want the screen to be.

I use a NVIDIA SHIELD K1 8" Tablet. Works the best.:)

It looks like a good tablet but the info I found on Amazon says it runs Android 5 when Android 8 is the minimum recommended by Autel. I guess it works though so that's a win.

What price range? I have run Explorer on a old Galaxy S5, Nvidia Shield, Dji Crystal Sky and the Tripltek tablet. The Tripltek is the best by far. 1200 nits, a little heavy but 4oz lighter than the 7.8 Crystal Sky a lot less expensive and is actually a tablet.

Brightest Tablet Android on the market | Tripltek
At $750 it's not that practical for the average flyer. For a professional I would say the Tripltek would almost be a must.

I would like to get one but is cost prohibitive at the moment.

At $750 it's not that practical for the average flyer. For a professional I would say the Tripltek would almost be a must.

I would like to get one but is cost prohibitive at the moment.

I have been shooting professional jobs since 2014 and have been using the iPad mini since about 2016 or so, so it can definitely be done with the iPad mini. The only thing I added was an anti-glare film and it works just fine. It can be hard to see on sunny days especially when filming in ALOG but I manage.

I started out with an NVIDIA SHIELD but got tired of the fractured ecosystem. Having to wait on new Android versions, then wait on NVIDIA to release their compatible version, then wait on the drone maker to release a version that is also compatible with that Android version got old.

Also, coming from the DJI world, the Android version of the app always seemed less polished and a few features behind the iOS version; not to mention the whole charging while plugged into the remote problem that only Android has.

Reactions: Eagle928
Actually $600, but you are correct. I work with mine and it replaced my Crystal Sky monitor, but now I have a a fully functional tablet (with sim card) that I also use in the field, hiking/camping on the road and as a monitor.

But for a powerful affordable tablet (with HDMI output) I would recommend the Nvidia Shield K1. This is a older tablet designed for gaming and works very well as a monitor, around $200.

Reactions: Eagle928
Actually $600, but you are correct. I work with mine and it replaced my Crystal Sky monitor, but now I have a a fully functional tablet (with sim card) that I also use in the field, hiking/camping on the road and as a monitor.

But for a powerful affordable tablet (with HDMI output) I would recommend the Nvidia Shield K1. This is a older tablet designed for gaming and works very well as a monitor, around $200.

I see the K1 is an Android 5. If I'm not mistaken; the Explorer app is supposed to be on an 8.0 or newer. If it works then great. It does appear to be a bit dated by today's standards but if works with the Explorer app then another win.

I think I must have been thinking of the DJI smart controller or Crystal Sky when I posted the $750 number.

Last edited:
Just to add my two cents on this one. I have been flying drones for years...tried all sorts of tablets (Android only) and found all of them not bright enough....yes they work, but you end up trying to figure out how to get around the oh, not so bright screen. Some options:
Spend the $$ and get a TRIPLTEK tablet. Full Android tablet, including the ability to take a cell sim, so you can actually use it as a phone to get data in the field, 1200 nit screen, huge battery, built like a tank, no sun shade necessary. Use it with all your drones. Plenty of horsepower for any apps you want to throw at it.
Go onto Amazon and pick up a refurbished Samsung Note 8 and use this as a dedicated flying device. Super bright screen, but small-ish. I have found in the hot Hawaiian sun, this is the next best thing to the TRIPLTEK. I think the Note 8 was their brightest screen. Make sure you put the display settings on AUTO, this is the only way to get it to its brightest it can output.
IOS...iPad....never used one, so can't say, but herein2021 and others use them just fine. I imagine it would be ok to look for a used one, that would still work ok.

DJI Crystal Sky. Don't go this route with the Autel Explorer app. Yes, you can make it work, but the CS is locked down and you will most likely need to root it to get it to do what you want with using the Explorer app. Not worth it and DJI refuses to update the Android operating system on them. (I had the 5.5 one, sold it)

Nvidia Shield....I had this one too, sold it. Not bright enough.
Samsung tablets...not bright enough
Huawei tablets...not bright enough
Amazon Fire tablets...not bright enough...WAY not bright enough

However...if you use a sunshade, you could get away with just about any tablet. I have been down this road, so to save you time, money and frustration, it's TRIPLTEK or Samsung IMHO. You need the high NITS to combat the sun. There is NOTHING worse than being out flying, and the sun hits your screen and you can't see a thing...been there, done that.

Wait. There is another option. Do you like flying with FPV goggles? I don't, because you are cut off from the surrounding world, but no sun glare to worry about.
You can go with a cheap Chinese tablet that has HDMI out, and then use an HDMI goggle to view the screen. Here is one example:

What do you do if your tablet doesn't have HDMI output? Simple solution to this too...depending on what you consider simple: You DO NOT need HDMI output on your tablet or phone to send the Flying devices screen and screen share it via APP to your screen of choice also running Android, OR if you are just using FPV goggles, you would use an wireless screen module, supply power, connect both devices to the same Wifi and share your not so bright tablet to your goggles...lots of cables, but it works fine. iOS or Android. Notes in the description.

Or this video: (just pretend he is using an Autel Drone...same principal)

Last edited:
Just to add my two cents on this one. I have been flying drones for years...tried all sorts of tablets (Android only) and found all of them not bright enough....yes they work, but you end up trying to figure out how to get around the oh, not so bright screen. Some options:
Spend the $$ and get a TRIPLTEK tablet. Full Android tablet, including the ability to take a cell sim, so you can actually use it as a phone to get data in the field, 1200 nit screen, huge battery, built like a tank, no sun shade necessary. Use it with all your drones. Plenty of horsepower for any apps you want to throw at it.
Go onto Amazon and pick up a refurbished Samsung Note 8 and use this as a dedicated flying device. Super bright screen, but small-ish. I have found in the hot Hawaiian sun, this is the next best thing to the TRIPLTEK. I think the Note 8 was their brightest screen. Make sure you put the display settings on AUTO, this is the only way to get it to its brightest it can output.
IOS...iPad....never used one, so can't say, but herein2021 and others use them just fine. I imagine it would be ok to look for a used one, that would still work ok.

DJI Crystal Sky. Don't go this route with the Autel Explorer app. Yes, you can make it work, but the CS is locked down and you will most likely need to root it to get it to do what you want with using the Explorer app. Not worth it and DJI refuses to update the Android operating system on them. (I had the 5.5 one, sold it)

However...if you use a sunshade, you could get away with just about any tablet. I have been down this road, so to save you time, money and frustration, it's TRIPLTEK or Samsung IMHO. You need the high NITS to combat the sun. There is NOTHING worse than being out flying, and the sun hits your screen and you can't see a thing...been there, done that.

Wait. There is another option. Do you like flying with FPV goggles? I don't, because you are cut off from the surrounding world, but no sun glare to worry about.
You can go with a cheap Chinese tablet that has HDMI out, and then use an HDMI goggle to view the screen. Here is one example:

What do you do if your tablet doesn't have HDMI output? Simple solution to this too...depending on what you consider simple: You DO NOT need HDMI output on your tablet or phone to send the Flying devices screen and screen share it via APP to your screen of choice also running Android, OR if you are just using FPV goggles, you would use an wireless screen module, supply power, connect both devices to the same Wifi and share your not so bright tablet to your goggles...lots of cables, but it works fine. iOS or Android. Notes in the description.

I agree, the iPad mini is definitely not bright enough in direct sunlight, you have to use your body to get some kind of shade on the screen. Filming in ALOG makes it even more difficult. The NVIDIA Shield that I started with was way worse even with an anti-glare film. The only reason I've stuck with the mini for so long is because I don't have to worry about the iOS version; I haven't updated my mini since I bought it and it stays in Airplane mode unless I need a new version of a drone app for some reason.

I personally don't use sunshades because they are clunky and one more thing to set up and I am almost always able to find a tree or building to stand beneath for all but the worst of days.

Reactions: Quad808
Okay I decided to bite the bullet and get the Tripltek Pro (8 GB RAM and 128 onboard storage). During my research today I was going to buy 6 GB verson from Amazon for $632 shipped but when I looked closer at the one at Empire Drone I realized they had the Pro 8 GB version which would be a little more future proof for only $18 more than the Amazon 6 GB version or $83 less than the Pro 8 GB version on Amazon so that made the upgrade a no-brainer to me. The 8 GB Pro version is currently on sale at Empire Drone for $650 shipped.

Nice! You won't regret that decision. I have both the 8G and 6G version. The 8G is worth the extra dough....its basically the same screen etc, but better CPU and more on board memory. It IS a tad bit faster than the original 6G version. I created a thread here in case you missed it: Maybe the best 7" tablet for drone flying? TRIPLTEK

I have been testing the 8G version for them, and NO I am not an employee of TRIPLTEK...LOL!

Nice! You won't regret that decision. I have both the 8G and 6G version. The 8G is worth the extra dough....its basically the same screen etc, but better CPU and more on board memory. It IS a tad bit faster than the original 6G version. I created a thread here in case you missed it: Maybe the best 7" tablet for drone flying? TRIPLTEK

I have been testing the 8G version for them, and NO I am not an employee of TRIPLTEK...LOL!
Are you 808-State on YouTube?

LOL, no sorry...that bruddah is on the big island of Hawaii...I am on Oahu.:D
He's cool and usually has a Saturday night podcast but I'm not seeing anything so far. Plus he is a big Autel Evo 2 fan. He posted a video about how the Evo 1 props will work on the Evo 2 in a pinch.

LOL, no sorry...that bruddah is on the big island of Hawaii...I am on Oahu.:D
I spent 2 years on Oahu. Good times but since I was a lowly E2-E3 sailor back then I didn't did have a lot of money to go out much. I think I'd want to live on the big island if I lived there now. Love the weather there! So much of all the islands could make it on a picture perfect postcard.

How was your experience with the Nvidia Shield, other than the screen not being bright enough?
I need a tablet with an hdmi out (I want to mirror the image in fpv goggles).
Was the video reception smooth?

I purchased the this Simbans Tango Tab because it has an hdmi, but the video was choppy/laggy.

The Nvidia shield is great, plenty of power to run all the apps I did on it. HDMI out is a huge plus to have. There are users here who use it, but for me it was a while ago when I had it. Sold it to a friend of mine who offered to buy it for what I paid for it..(used).

Reactions: House Forasken

Excellent thread!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fischcrazy