Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Compass Calibration Question

Atomic08

Reaction score
New EVO to be delivered tomorrow and when reading
In the User Manual 3-27-19 , page 31 it states....

"The Compass is calibrated out of the box, typically making user-calibration unnecessary. "

This is the first time I heard that a compass calibration is not needed.
Previously owned DJI Phantoms and Yuneec Typhoon H and have always had to calibrate Everything before first flight.
Is this true???
Should I or could I calibrate the compass before my first flight?
Is it dead set from the factory that precise that calibration is not needed ?
Asking just to be sure !
Thanks !

I know when they where still putting out updates for the X-Star one of the last ones (not sure which one) they said compass calibrations were no longer needed after you did one good one and if you ever needed one it would show up as a notice in the App. I don't think I have done one in over a year and a half and have not had any issues. The EVO firmware was developed from the X-Stars firmware so I can see why they say this.
Even with my Yuneec products I only did one when something just did not seem right.
Of course you are always free to do one if it makes you feel better about flying.

New EVO to be delivered tomorrow and when reading
In the User Manual 3-27-19 , page 31 it states....

"The Compass is calibrated out of the box, typically making user-calibration unnecessary. "

This is the first time I heard that a compass calibration is not needed.
Previously owned DJI Phantoms and Yuneec Typhoon H and have always had to calibrate Everything before first flight.
Is this true???

Not needed. I flew mine out of the box with no issues whatsoever. Craft responded flawlessly to the RC. I even double checked the calibrate feature and everything was normal. The only thing I needed to calibrate the next day was the gimbal which showed the horizon a tad off balanced. Once that was completed then it was fine.

I own several DJI crafts and I've hardly ever had to calibrate the compass especially out of the box? I need to calibrate the compass if I travel to fly it outside of 35-40 miles from where I last flew the craft.

Again, my suggestion would be to calibrate only when it tells you to complete the calibration. If it doesn't request it, leave it alone.

I have hundreds and hundreds of miles of flight time and I never calibrate it unless it requests it.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Thanks for the reply's !
As I said, I am coming off the typhoon H and always calibrated the compass
when I went to a new location.
My EVO is OUT FOR DELIVERY Now !

Hmm. And mine I had to repeatedly calibrate ,2 days in a row, just to get it to to "take" and finally fly in a straight line the last time I used it (before it committed suicide 2 days later - and was deemed pilot error). I have had it since Dec 2018 and had many great flights, but it has done this 3 times now, running away. This last time it flew beautifully for a day after the calibration finally took, but the day after ran away and crashed. Waiting to see what shape it comes back in. Frustrated and disappointed.

I own Yuneec Typhoon H and I have heard folks say their Typhoon flew away unexpectedly after changing battery for the second flight. From hearing that, I have always calibrate my Typhoon every time to let the drone know my current position. Even when I am swapping battery, I do a second calibration. I have had no issues what so ever. This habit has carried me over to my Evo and I make sure the drone and my controller know where each other is, especially when there is a disconnection between the drone and the controller to put a second battery for the next flight. These electronics have their own minds sometimes, and I want to make sure both controller and drone are in sync. Autel may say it is not required, but I do it anyways for my own peace of mind.

When you do the second part of the calibration do you hold your Evo nose up or down? The instructions say down, but I have never, ever gotten it to work that way and have to have the nose up for the second part.

The instructions and the AUTEL Website said to hold it down, so that is what I did....
But...
I flew the EVO for the first time three days after I received it.
I had trouble calibrating the compass for some reason. I hit the Calibrate Compass on the APP and also tried the holding the TakeOff/Landing and GoHome Button. I tried numerous times and kept getting a Magnetic Interference Message. I had no watch, cell phone, or anything else with or near me, I even turned off the WiFi on my tablet. I could get green lights on the first turn but got red arm lights when I completed the turn drone face down.

I have calibrated my other drones in the same area with no problems. I kept moving around our back yard for about 45 minutes until I found a spot that I got the calibration to work. Strange it worked in a spot a lot closer to the house than at the end of our yard. Our property borders a large field and acres of woods, so I have no idea why I had problems. I plan on going to a large park in nowhere to recalibrate the compass to make sure I get a good calibration. It might be over kill, but something I just want to do.

When you do the second part of the calibration do you hold your Evo nose up or down? The instructions say down, but I have never, ever gotten it to work that way and have to have the nose up for the second part.

I have the nose up. Never did I held it nose down and the system accepts its anyways. Thanks for letting me know we are suppose to hold the nose down.

I seem to remember a post not to long ago about compass calibration and someone posted a comment stating that Autel strongly suggested not doing compass calibrations as it can cause premature gimbal failure from the stress of turning the craft. 4500
Saying that one good one is all that was required.

Thanks, I Guess I will try not to do calibration on the Evo since Autel are confident in their craft not behaving abnormal like the other DJI, Yuneec and others.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles