Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Can't connect after firmware reinstall

manutter51

Reaction score
TLDR; I manually installed the Evo II V2 firmware (2.1.31, the current version according to the website), and now the drone isn't connecting to the controller. Oddly, though, the camera is displaying just fine, so I've got some kind of connection there. I've tried powering both off and powering the controller on first, and powering on the drone first, but no luck, the controller just says "Connecting..." and never connects.

Background: I got a message saying that version 2.2.5 firmware was ready to install, and tried to do that, and it seemed to install successfully, but then the controller screen went back to the logo display with the power button flashing red. I let it sit like that for a few minutes, and decided it didn't look like it was doing anything useful/important, so I powered off the controller and powered back on again. The drone and RC failed to connect, so I did the manual install.

Anybody know anything else I can try? I haven't reached out to Autel yet, thought I'd ask her first. Thanks.

TLDR; I manually installed the Evo II V2 firmware (2.1.31, the current version according to the website), and now the drone isn't connecting to the controller. Oddly, though, the camera is displaying just fine, so I've got some kind of connection there. I've tried powering both off and powering the controller on first, and powering on the drone first, but no luck, the controller just says "Connecting..." and never connects.

Background: I got a message saying that version 2.2.5 firmware was ready to install, and tried to do that, and it seemed to install successfully, but then the controller screen went back to the logo display with the power button flashing red. I let it sit like that for a few minutes, and decided it didn't look like it was doing anything useful/important, so I powered off the controller and powered back on again. The drone and RC failed to connect, so I did the manual install.

Anybody know anything else I can try? I haven't reached out to Autel yet, thought I'd ask her first. Thanks.
Ok, I think I'm good now: I re-tried the manual firmware update again, and this time I moved my drone and controller someplace where I couldn't easily see them and left them alone for 30 minutes (which Autel says is how long a firmware update might take). The first retry finished and reported a bunch of update failures, but the second update succeeded.

Now I need to recharge my RC/batteries, and I think I'll try again for that 2.2.5 update. Glutton for punishment, I guess.

Reactions: APkls and Jlluna12
Lol, yeah, in programming we call it an "ID-ten-T error," as in "Some ID10T turned off the controller too soon!" I thought it looked like the controller crashed, but from now on I'll just put things where I can't see them and jump to conclusions.

It's quit offering me the 2.2.5 firmware update though. Maybe it figured I was too dumb to get it installed right, lol.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Ok, I think I'm good now: I re-tried the manual firmware update again, and this time I moved my drone and controller someplace where I couldn't easily see them and left them alone for 30 minutes (which Autel says is how long a firmware update might take). The first retry finished and reported a bunch of update failures, but the second update succeeded.

Now I need to recharge my RC/batteries, and I think I'll try again for that 2.2.5 update. Glutton for punishment, I guess.
Hi,

Identical problem here. I'm willing to try what you did but I'm not clear on how the manual install failed once and then worked (what was the clue?).
Would you be willing to walk me through your steps exactly?
I can get the standard controller and aircraft into matching mode, then the remote just displays "connecting". I'll double check the correct firmware on the SD card and delete the .txt file.
Would you suggest I follow the matching process and then walk away for 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance!

-kls

Hi,

Identical problem here. I'm willing to try what you did but I'm not clear on how the manual install failed once and then worked (what was the clue?).
Would you be willing to walk me through your steps exactly?
I can get the standard controller and aircraft into matching mode, then the remote just displays "connecting". I'll double check the correct firmware on the SD card and delete the .txt file.
Would you suggest I follow the matching process and then walk away for 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance!

-kls
Ah, darn, it's been long enough now that I don't recall the exact steps I took. I do remember that the big thing that helped was starting the update and then stashing everything out of sight for 30 minutes. Pretty sure I followed the instructions for manually installing by copying the firmware update onto a micro SD card. And it did take me 2 retries, but I think that was because I interrupted the first try, which caused errors in the next re-try, and then the last re-try fixed it.

Here's how I got the controller to connect to aircraft:

Downloaded the CORRECT firmware to an SD card. In my case the aircraft and controller were both V2. It was a ZIP file released 3/5/22.

Put the SD card into the aircraft (AC), installed a fresh battery, turned the AC on, then turned the standard controller (RC) on.

It took about 10 minutes and I got the message to restart both devices on the RC with a list of items that updated and didn't update (see photo).

It took about another 5 minutes and another reset after getting the list of updated and not updated items a second time.

My RC and AC were now connected!!!

This worked fine until it didn't - while the AC was in flight! It's a whole other post that I will link here soon.PXL_20220329_192924095.jpg

Here's how I got the controller to connect to aircraft:

Downloaded the CORRECT firmware to an SD card. In my case the aircraft and controller were both V2. It was a ZIP file released 3/5/22.

Put the SD card into the aircraft (AC), installed a fresh battery, turned the AC on, then turned the standard controller (RC) on.

It took about 10 minutes and I got the message to restart both devices on the RC with a list of items that updated and didn't update (see photo).

It took about another 5 minutes and another reset after getting the list of updated and not updated items a second time.

My RC and AC were now connected!!!

This worked fine until it didn't - while the AC was in flight! It's a whole other post that I will link here soon.View attachment 13632
You need to restart the update, you have a lot of errors there.
I had with one firmware an issue, ended in 10 minutes with errors, have tried 2 times more and 3rd was lucky charm.

Just got my Evo II Pro a couple days ago. Firmware update went south somewhere and now am experiencing the exact same issue, controller won't connect or rebind tot he drone, but I'm seeing the camera feed through my android device when connected.

Already emailed support a couple days ago, haven't heard back yet, tried calling all day, can't get ahold of anybody at Autel.

I'm so dang angry right now, haven't even flown the thing yet.

Edit: Ended up doing an exchange through B&H a while ago, got a replacement unit within a couple of days. Eventually got a reply from CS way after I got a working unit, everything is resolved at the moment and they were nice enough to answer questions, but good god this was a frustrating experience. I dread ever having to reach out to them about anything in the future.

Last edited:
Just got my Evo II Pro a couple days ago. Firmware update went south somewhere and now am experiencing the exact same issue, controller won't connect or rebind tot he drone, but I'm seeing the camera feed through my android device when connected.

Already emailed support a couple days ago, haven't heard back yet, tried calling all day, can't get ahold of anybody at Autel.

I'm so dang angry right now, haven't even flown the thing yet.
Tr to update again manually using the card and zip file. Take care what FW you choose, in order not to take the wrong one. If you see camera feed, the controller is connected to drone but is not fully updated probably.

Thank you, I did that, unpacked the V2 firmware (4 files) onto the SD card and ran then both several times for probably over three hours total at this point, even tried just leaving the ZIP file on the SD once because the instructions are unclear. Nothing so far, controller still connect. Controller still won't bind in bind mode.

I'm starting a refund/return process with B&H, because I can't get in contact with a single tech at Autel, I emailed and started a ticket back on Saturday, I've called Autel tech support multiple days now and couldn't get ahold of anybody despite being told I'm second in the queue and then being redirected to voice mail, I don't know what to do here. I have a $2.5k paper weight here that I haven't even flown once yet!

I hate to sound like a Karen complainer, but this so far has been awful customer support for a product that costs multiple thousands of dollars. This is shameful, I feel like I'm being taken for a ride here.

Edit: Still nothing from Autel support, a week later after the original post, almost 2 weeks after submitting a ticket. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill32092
Thank you, I did that, unpacked the V2 firmware (4 files) onto the SD card and ran then both several times for probably over three hours total at this point, even tried just leaving the ZIP file on the SD once because the instructions are unclear. Nothing so far, controller still connect. Controller still won't bind in bind mode.

I'm starting a refund/return process with B&H, because I can't get in contact with a single tech at Autel, I emailed and started a ticket back on Saturday, I've called Autel tech support multiple days now and couldn't get ahold of anybody despite being told I'm second in the queue and then being redirected to voice mail, I don't know what to do here. I have a $2.5k paper weight here that I haven't even flown once yet!

I hate to sound like a Karen complainer, but this so far has been awful customer support for a product that costs multiple thousands of dollars. This is shameful, I feel like I'm being taken for a ride here.

Edit: Still nothing from Autel support, a week later after the original post, almost 2 weeks after submitting a ticket. Ridiculous.
Any update? I'm going through the same thing..but my V1 is 2+ years old..had to swap out the controller and now won't connect. Very frustrating..especially when I've paired many with the Phantom 4 with ZERO issues.

Any update? I'm going through the same thing..but my V1 is 2+ years old..had to swap out the controller and now won't connect. Very frustrating..especially when I've paired many with the Phantom 4 with ZERO issues.
I RMA'd the unit through the retailer I bought it from, so no solution from Autel. They did make sure that my extended warranty carry over from the old unit to another, but I'm dreading ever using it, because this was a real suck process.

I RMA'd the unit through the retailer I bought it from, so no solution from Autel. They did make sure that my extended warranty carry over from the old unit to another, but I'm dreading ever using it, because this was a real suck process.
I returned the controller I purchased on EBay..Autel phone support guy said it was a bad controller. I bought a refurbished controller directly from Autel and today it paired!! Hope you get back in the air soon!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials