Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Can the Explorer app do curves in Waypoints? And terrian following?

AntoineDSE

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first message here.

I have an Evo 1, and for months I just made do with the controller, but now I've bought a smartphone, and I'm going through what the Explorer app can do. At the moment, I'm practising Waypoints.

When I had a Mavic Pro, I used to do Waypoints with Litchi. With Litchi Waypoints, if there was a change of direction, you could make the change a curve, and you could make that curve as gradual as you wanted, but with Autel's version, it seems you have to make do with the aircraft suddenly turning on its axis when it needs to change direction. But maybe I'm missing something, and maybe the Explorer app can do curves after all. Anyone got any advice on this?

The other thing it seems the Explorer app can't do is terrain forrowing. With the Litchi app, you could choose the height to be with respect to the ground, so if it was set to 200 feet and it approached, say, a 500 foot hill, it would maintain a 200 foot clearance as it went over the hill. It seems the Explorer app can't do this: am I right?

Any advice here would be much appreciated.

Yes, repeatedly explained in the forum.
This is the difference between the apprentice and the master.
The apprentice did not choose the best hardware platform for the flight.
One step forward to choose an Evo, three steps back to buy a Mavic Pro.

Thank you for those helpful answers. So, if I want to stick to my Autel Evo, and Litchi doesn't cater for Autel, is there a substitute for Litchi that I can install to do waypoints?

Thank you for those helpful answers. So, if I want to stick to my Autel Evo, and Litchi doesn't cater for Autel, is there a substitute for Litchi that I can install to do waypoints?
Not so far I'm afraid. Wish there was. Even someone that was willing to use the SDK offered by Autel to try and improve the mission planner. There was a fellow who started but seems to have disappeared for now.

Reactions: DaveMH
Hi, this is my first message here.

I have an Evo 1, and for months I just made do with the controller, but now I've bought a smartphone, and I'm going through what the Explorer app can do. At the moment, I'm practising Waypoints.

When I had a Mavic Pro, I used to do Waypoints with Litchi. With Litchi Waypoints, if there was a change of direction, you could make the change a curve, and you could make that curve as gradual as you wanted, but with Autel's version, it seems you have to make do with the aircraft suddenly turning on its axis when it needs to change direction. But maybe I'm missing something, and maybe the Explorer app can do curves after all. Anyone got any advice on this?

The other thing it seems the Explorer app can't do is terrain forrowing. With the Litchi app, you could choose the height to be with respect to the ground, so if it was set to 200 feet and it approached, say, a 500 foot hill, it would maintain a 200 foot clearance as it went over the hill. It seems the Explorer app can't do this: am I right?

Any advice here would be much appreciated.
As others have stated - No
So wish that it did!
I have a 5+ year old SOLO with a Pixhawk FC that does Missions & Waypoints so much better than Autel's EVO.
Really dislike how it stops & turns before moving on to the next waypoint.
My number one request to be fixed in Explorer!

Reactions: TheGoldBug
This problem is not only with Autel. Yuneec and now Parrot has this problem. There are work arounds for both those brands but they are not perfect. Not sure why Parrot decided to change how their flight plans worked with the Bebop 2 with smooth transitions to what is offered with the Anafi which is now their flag ship but it does the same thing the EVO's do. Could be the flight control boards being used. They just went cheap and this is what we have.

My number one request to be fixed in Explorer!
Unfortunately, you will be disappointed. Even Mac gyver will not succeed on this type of platform.
Agustine spoke of someone who tried with the SDK, but couldn't. I think this is the same person who must have tried on the same platform of the H520 (identical to that of the Evo) and has broken his nose too. All he managed to do is a 360 ° around a point but with a circle of 180 points (one every 2 °) with a stop at each point therefore unusable in video.

@Agustine, I think that for your previous question, the answer is simple and is surely linked to the manufacturing cost. The platform used is a platform that has arrived in the public domain where there is no longer a software license, anyone can enhance it at their convenience but this system is very limited in its functions and not very scalable.

Last edited:
SAD, we own a expensive 2020 drone that can't fly a smooth route (mission) like others do and have done.
Don't shoot the poster, I like my EVO II Pro in lots of ways, but really wish the mission capability was much better.
A third party (hacker) could make a lot of money if he could improve Explorer / Missions. I'd pay up!

A third party (hacker) will not be able to do anything more in Explorer, it is not reprogramming that must be done, it is all the internal electronics which have the flight functions that must be changed.
The software is used to send the instructions to the electronics, but if the latter does not have the required functions, it will not.

Reactions: DaveMH

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials