Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Biggest Problem with AUTEL EVO 2.

Byeongnam kim

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

When I fly this drone and check Obstacle Avoidance sensor test to WHITE COLOR WALL but it can't be detective.

But at the same time fly DJI Mavic 2 Zoom check Obstacle Avoidance sensor test to WHITE COLOR WALL ==> 100% perfect is working well.

Why only has been problem with EVO2 problem ?

NONE of these optical avoidance on the drones is feature complete. Not one. To do true obstacle avoidance you have to use multiple methods for detection. These sensors they are using on the drones aren't looking in all spectrums. If you want to see the challenge , go read up on Windows Hello biometric recognition for Windows. That system actually uses 3 cameras, depth, IR, and visual. For the drones, I think most of those sensors are just depth with a bit of visual which as you point out visual can be fooled. For military missiles and such you can add a fourth type of detection which is radar. So until we can get a sensor package that is using all 4 of those OA will only be somewhat accurate. We'd need four times the battery just to run the sensors to have perfect OA. The big tip off that none of these systems on drones are truly great is that NONE of them work in low light. I highly doubt we'll ever have OA that is truly worth a darn and reliable. It's at best semi reliable for any of them including Skydio. Twigs, wires and other small crap is always going to be iffy at best. The fact none of them work in the dark should give you an idea of what they are NOT seeing even in the light.

OA is iffy at best for all drones.

Reactions: Mark Kuzio
Thanks for reply as my discussion.
I understand your meaning but DJI when make same situation such as environment, color....
Meant different sensering DJI and skydio 2 also can't detective "Twigs, wires and other small crap is always going to be iffy at best. The fact none of them work in the dark should give you an idea of what they are NOT seeing even in the light" but Autel Evo2 that's not normally reason.
Even can't be sensering of white color?
When fly the white building or any white color you make be crashed please try to understand my point if same problem skydio 2 and DJI I all understand but specifically EVO 2 can't be detected white color.

Thanks for reply as my discussion.
I understand your meaning but DJI when make same situation such as environment, color....
Meant different sensering DJI and skydio 2 also can't detective "Twigs, wires and other small crap is always going to be iffy at best. The fact none of them work in the dark should give you an idea of what they are NOT seeing even in the light" but Autel Evo2 that's not normally reason.
Even can't be sensering of white color?
When fly the white building or any white color you make be crashed please try to understand my point if same problem skydio 2 and DJI I all understand but specifically EVO 2 can't be detected white color.
Report it to Autel :). Don't disagree with your point. Just not the end of the world as OA is iffy at best anyways for the reasons I stated.

Reactions: Byeongnam kim
The pilot in command is the best obstacle avoidance system. If you are flying your drone too close to a wall the color doesn't matter. The pilot should be aware of the position of ALL obstacles within line-of-sight and maneuver to avoid them without forcing a reliance on autonomous features that may or may not be fully functioning or have inherent limitations.

That being said...

This is what happened to me when I mistakenly allowed my EVO II to drift behind a tall building and lose control signal.The Return-to-Home was set at 200 ft AGL but the building it was flying toward was 260 ft tall. EVO II corrected its course to avoid the first tower on its right and then gained altitude to avoid a wall AND an antenna painted to match the color of the sky

Last edited:
Very lucky with the OA being so good. All those large windows and the time of day it was pretty easy to see inside. Might want to look into privacy laws in your town so you don't have to fight a charge in court. ;) All it takes is one neighbour to complain.

Working in legal services for many years I can tell you from experience that the public has a exaggerated opinion of their sense of privacy as well as the extent to which they can petition the courts to hear such a case. Ask any woman being stalked by her ex-boyfriend just how difficult it is and you'll find out. I have nothing to fear from Karens nor Kens

I've no problems with white walls, it's how I checked my sensors the I just got the bird

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials