Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Better Stills quality: Evo II or Evo Pro II

Pat Morrow

Reaction score
I'm in the research stage to determine which of these two cameras delivers the best quality stills. Although the Evo II has larger file size, does the Pro II's full size sensor give more detail and sharpness? Also, any idea how many pixels each camera provides in the RAW format?

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
6K has a 1" (larger) sensor, while the 8K has a 1/2" (smaller) sensor. Sensor size is very important, but not absolutely critical for all users. Some prefer maximum image size/resolution over sensor size. In short, a larger sensor typically performs better in low light, it has a greater dynamic range, and less crop factor. These characteristics aren't critical to most users...just depends on your needs and preferences.

Thanks for your attempt to provide an answer - As I'm more concerned about the quality of stills than of video, i'm trying to find out which camera performs best for stills. For instance, my Sony A7RIV has a full sensor and gives a 9504 x 6336 pixel image, vs the 6000 x 4000 pixel image of the A6500. In this case, the full sensor is superior in almost every way, with detail/sharpness...

On its specs page, Autel gives for its 1" sensor:

8000*6000 (4:3)
7680*4320 (16:9)
4000*3000 (4:3)
3840*2160 (16:9)

and for its 1/2" sensor:

8000*6000 (4:3)
7680*4320 (16:9)
4000*3000 (4:3)
3840*2160 (16:9)

Getting back to my question: which gives the best sharpness/detail even though the pixel size appears to be the same?

many thanks and it confirms my gut feeling to go with the model with the larger sensor.

10 bit video, should be 12 bit RAW stills. In any case I would like to think the variable aperture lens in the Pro would be sharper. It certainly gives the option of greater depth of field stopped down.

Early masters took photos with egg albumin, silver oxides and arsenic smeared on glass and exposed to a pinprick of light shining through the wall of a wooden box. I'm pretty sure that both the Sony IMX586 1/2.3' or the Sony IMX383 1' sensor is going to faithfully render a suitable image of anything you point either of them in the general direction of. Lightroom isn't going to be able to tell the difference.

Thanks for your attempt to provide an answer - As I'm more concerned about the quality of stills than of video, i'm trying to find out which camera performs best for stills. For instance, my Sony A7RIV has a full sensor and gives a 9504 x 6336 pixel image, vs the 6000 x 4000 pixel image of the A6500. In this case, the full sensor is superior in almost every way, with detail/sharpness...
Getting back to my question: which gives the best sharpness/detail even though the pixel size appears to be the same?
Sharpness and detail are good characteristics to look for. But in low light, noise becomes the most critical factor for image quality. The larger sensor will generate less noise in low light situations or deep shadows.

Reactions: Cicero24
many thanks and it confirms my gut feeling to go with the model with the larger sensor.

I've been flying the Evo II Pro for a few weeks and have had a chance to shoot during both the day and evening. It has proven to do well in low light, and I attribute that to the 1" sensor. It makes a difference. Daytime photos are phenominal, too.

I cannot speak about the Evo II, but the Pro has exceeded my expectations. There's a negligible bit of barrel distortion when the camera is angled down (and only noticable at higher altitude), but it's easy enough to work out in Lightroom if it bugs you. The adjustable aperture seals the deal, I think.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy