Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Best Black Friday Coming

Trox

Reaction score
I watched and waited patiently for the past four years before I felt confident that the flying camera I had been searching for could perform as I needed it to do at a professional level. After a few non-GPS, non FPV drones to hone my piloting skills during this waiting game, a couple months ago I took the plunge and got my EVO.

One down and one to go.

During the same time frame I have been patiently watching the prices on 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) television sets and the corresponding sizes vs price. Year after year, Black Friday after Black Friday. Drooling...but too pricey.

This coming Black Friday sales event at the big box stores will finally be the time I've waited for. A few weeks ago Fred Meyer in a normal weekly ad was selling Samsung 50 inch 4K UHD Smart tvs on sale for $329. That means by Thanksgiving a 50 inch 4K set could be bought for under $300. And for not that much more you could jump up to the 60 inch versions.

We have reached a point in this tv technology's maturity that the industry is determined to put a 4K TV in every house in America this year. I'm ready with my credit card. And then I'll have a perfect union - my 4K recording drone camera, a 5K Retina display on my iMac for editing, and a 4K tv set to watch my final results.

Back in the late 1980's I paid $400 for a ONE MEGABYTE Ram Card for my Amiga 2000 I used for A/B Roll editing with 3 VCRs. I just bought several 128GB Micro SD Memory Cards for the drone that has all its storage in less than a quarter inch square in the thickness of a paper for $19.99. Just to put things in perspective of how fast technology is advancing.

Reactions: Ansia
I have a 512MB HDD from the 80s. My father paid a grand for that. Only reason I still keep it around. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Trox
I have a 512MB HDD from the 80s. My father paid a grand for that. Only reason I still keep it around. ?
I still have my first computer stored in the basement. A 1981 Osborne 1 cost me $2,000. First "portable" computer on the market. 5" green screen. Dual 5 1/4" floppy disk bays that could handle 160KB Double Sided, Double Density storage capacity disks and the machine was running 64KB of onboard RAM and CP/M 2.2 eight bit operating system on a Z80 processor. Word Star, SuperCalc, and dBase II were the top of the line programs that can still do 90% of all I need on a word processor, a spread sheet or a database management system. Programmers now days have gotten so lazy and so sloppy in their coding its a disgrace.

I have an Osborne on the shelf in the garage. First time I ever "connected" with another human via keyboard was using its 300 baud modem.
I'm saving mine for either a Time Capsule or when the Smithsonian contacts me. :D And yes I too experienced that WOW Factor the first time my modem squealed and then on the screen it said CONNECTED and a blinking cursor awaited my command. The BBS (Bulletin Board System) was in its infancy and the coolest thing on the planet. Connect to people all over the world. A friend at work was a horse racing/betting aficionado with a Radio Shack TRS-80 running CP/M and wanted me to create a race analysis program to determine a winner of upcoming races from data on each horse. I ended up completing that in MBasic complete with a race track display in keyboard characters representing the positions of horses at each furlong. In those days you never give it a thought as to what you were pioneering. Remember when 2400 BAUD came out? The modern day equivalent to getting 10Mbit Internet connection now. LOL Its a shame the younger generation missed out on the course of events that created the world they live in right now.

I guess though in a way, each generation will have their own place in history to look back on as technology and mankind continues to advance towards extinction. I review my JPL Asteroid Watch widget every day to see if there is a big rock out there headed our way. I've seen a couple in the past few years pass within 20,000 miles of Earth....well within many of our satellite networks for communications and space/weather monitoring.Those by NASA and JPL standards were near misses. It was just a matter of "timing" that we aren't in the middle of a 'nuclear winter' right now.

Say HIYA to Andy and Gomer for me!

Reactions: Goober
Ahh, the 2400 Baud! Remember the day I snapped it in place and logged in to the local BBS. Almost needed a seat belt on the desk chair! LOL
Fun times.

Every one from Mayberry says - "HEY" - right backatcha. Actually, this year's Mayberry Days Festival just wrapped up last week. I heard the downtown streets of Mt. Airy were packed with fans. Was too busy to attend this year, but always fun to stroll Main St. and watch all the tourists - from all over the world - snapping pics, pointing out signs and lining up at Snappy Lunch for the pork chop sandwich.

Two of the remaining actors from the show, Rodney Dillard and Maggie Anderson (Charlene Darling) still perform - although slower. Their concert just before Mayberry Days was released yesterday on Song of the Mountains show. There is a Barney actor that has been doing the character for over 20 years with them, too. Fun hour if you remember the show.
The Dillards with Charlene Darling

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d