Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Before I update .. should I move to Evo 1 Firmware 1.5.8?

I have no idea at the moment what firmware version my drone is on.
Also. what was said about the newer app after the version I pointed out was that the Evo 1 actually lost some functions and that was the one that most preferred using.

Reactions: bladerunner
Can’t speak for Evo 2, but 1.5.8 may have been the cause of battery issues on the 1.
It's hard to say since many Evo owners with battery problems are 1 yr or more into ownership. If the fw ruined those batteries, new batteries would be affected as well, and I have yet to hear a single issue on newer batteries. No matter the drone, LiPo batteries may last a year or just over. Then the cells break down, and some get to the point they will not balance. When that happens it is reported as a damaged battery in the app.

One sign of a battery going is it swells. Users have shown their faulty batteries, and you can clearly see defined scratch marks where the battery rubbed against the shell in the battery compartment. Tight battery fit, sometimes harder to attach are clear signs of swelling batteries. They are harder to remove after being used, and more difficult to attach if the battery is warm. These have been common findings with most drone battery issues... from Evo, to MP, M2P etc.

When not flying, run the battery down to 40-50% before storing. Don't just charge them always unless you plan on using them within 48 hrs

Last edited:
Reactions: tobeabird69
It's hard to say since many Evo owners with battery problems are 1 yr or more into ownership. If the fw ruined those batteries, new batteries would be affected as well. No matter the drone, LiPo batteries may last a year or just over. Then the cells break down, and some get to the point they will not balance. When that happens it is reported as a damaged battery in the app.

One sign of a battery going is it swells. Users have shown their faulty batteries, and you can clearly see defined scratch marks where the battery rubbed against the shell in the battery compartment. Tight battery fit, sometimes harder to attach are clear signs of swelling batteries. They are harder to remove after being used, and more difficult to attach if the battery is warm. These have been common findings with most drone battery issues... from Evo, to MP, M2P etc.

When not flying, run the battery down to 40-50% before storing. Don't just charge them always unless you plan on using them within 48 hrs
Wow you folks are awesome in this group. I appreciate this comprehensive explanation as well as the input from the others.
What is your suggestion sir for which firmwarr update I should go with My Evo is brand new and will arrive tomorrow August 13th from Best Buy any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Wow you folks are awesome in this group. I appreciate this comprehensive explanation as well as the input from the others.
What is your suggestion sir for which firmwarr update I should go with My Evo is brand new and will arrive tomorrow August 13th from Best Buy any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Some units come pre loaded with current fw. Depends on the batch they received, but almost every newer Evo is within 1 or 2 fw releases. Like any drone you buy, test it out. If it works and does what you want it to, then do not update it unless they add something you really want. Release notes typically show a few bug fixes, or any new changes to the operation. At this point it is all minor bug fixes, so really I would not worry about updating.

Some units come pre loaded with current fw. Depends on the batch they received, but almost every newer Evo is within 1 or 2 fw releases. Like any drone you buy, test it out. If it works and does what you want it to, then do not update it unless they add something you really want. Release notes typically show a few bug fixes, or any new changes to the operation. At this point it is all minor bug fixes, so really I would not worry about updating.
Then one more question if you would be so kind how do I determine when I recieve it what is the current FW that he has been supplied with. Thank you in advance Mike9591

Then one more question if you would be so kind how do I determine when I recieve it what is the current FW that he has been supplied with. Thank you in advance Mike9591
General tab in the app.. firmware should be indicated. If you power up the drone, rc, and app, and the app reports an update is ready, verify the fw first... Again.. if it does what you want, flies how you like it to, you don't have to update, but since this a NEW drone, I would recommend updating since that is a factor for any warranty situation.

Drones over a year since purchase do NOT have to be updated unless there is something the mfg recommends, or perhaps some flight mode addition in the app that requires a fw update.

With Autel you would not have to worry about warranty. I would say especially so now since the last firmware update has been causing issues.. We were installing beta firmware with Autel on the XSP and if any issue happened they still took care of us regardless. If you find no problems with it I would DEFINATELY hold off on the FW update.

General tab in the app.. firmware should be indicated. If you power up the drone, rc, and app, and the app reports an update is ready, verify the fw first... Again.. if it does what you want, flies how you like it to, you don't have to update, but since this a NEW drone, I would recommend updating since that is a factor for any warranty situation.

Drones over a year since purchase do NOT have to be updated unless there is something the mfg recommends, or perhaps some flight mode addition in the app that requires a fw update.
The back story on this drone is that it was purchased from Best Buy brand new when they first were first released the gentleman recieved it put it in his closet and never used it. He thought it looked cool that's why he purchased it Totally sealed never been opened, oh yeah I got a second battery also.
He has had time during this covid BS and decided to do some cleaning up pulled this out and decided to get rid of it too put some $$$ in his pocket I picked it up cheap .
I had wanted one for 3 months since they seemed to have everything finally ironed out with it .

The back story on this drone is that it was purchased from Best Buy brand new when they first were first released the gentleman recieved it put it in his closet and never used it. He thought it looked cool that's why he purchased it Totally sealed never been opened, oh yeah I got a second battery also.
He has had time during this covid BS and decided to do some cleaning up pulled this out and decided to get rid of it too put some $$$ in his pocket I picked it up cheap .
I had wanted one for 3 months since they seemed to have everything finally ironed out with it .

That sounds like you got a great deal. Check the batteries in the app. Note the voltage when fully charged. Compare the old stored unused batteries to your newer ones. If no differences, all good.. if any differences of more than a few tenths of a volt, that is a sign they are weakening.

The next test of the old batteries is go ahead and fly around in a park or field. Notice the data on the screen, and look at the flight time. If it drops faster, that battery has weakened. I time the flight time on my phone since the flight time indicator on the telemetry can vary for many reasons. It only takes one cell to sour and have the drone report "damaged battery" and auto return, or worse case if the battery has not enough power to RTH it just auto lands... this is where users panic either way. My experience with this is that the drone can still usually give the option to cancel say if you just took off, but if you are beyond VLOS, and it knows it cannot get back safely, there will be NO cancel RTH option, and it will land wherever it is. People like to take risks with these drones.. Don't !! Even though you got a great deal on yours, always always visually spot that bird. Too many fly BVLOS and too many report they lost their drone... 50% of that is user error, and 49% of that is NOT doing a preflight inspection, hover test, waiting GPS lock etc.

Batteries come charged to around 50%. That is the idle charge, but they can still, and will still break down over that years time even with no use. It's like inkjet cartridges when it comes to expendables. Drone LiPo batteries do NOT have a long shelf life. This is why Autel, and other companies are having shortages due to Covid and mfg limitations where the batteries are made.

I would prefer they make batteries like these, but have the cells replaceable by the user. When you think about it, the avg user gets about 50 flights in one battery before they start to fail... That is mostly the user that flies once a week. The Pro users can get 100+ flights as we do in our company here. Most of that within that first year. Then we mark our batteries as we notice the voltage they provide on the cells becomes less over time. For any distant flights, or flight requiring us to be over a lake or ocean, we ONLY use newer batteries.

For the 50 flight user, that ends up being almost $2 a flight on a battery...Our Evo batteries in the co see about 3-4 flights per day, and we keep them out of any heat source as much as possible. Seeing 200 flights on a battery can be standard stuff for those that use them as regularly.

Thing about LiPo's in drones is that either way... your time is limited to about a year before they start to really fail. Initially, users notice the battery not charging to 100% even when completely charged. You may start up, and battery level show 91%, and when it does that, don't plan on flying far... That is a clear sign that battery is dying... As you fly it more, you will notice flight time on the controller data drop rapidly. In some instances of fast flights, or heavy winds, that can be normal when in motion, but generally climbs back up once hovering. For weak batteries however, those numbers drop very fast, and faster the lower the battery percent becomes in flight. This is where users get into trouble... regardless of drone type or mfg... Always pay attention to those numbers. Part of preflight inspection for 107 users is checking battery cells, and many do not.... until it's too late.. Then they come on forums and complain their drone ditched by itself.

Our batteries, if over a year, we have a simple rule. NEVER fly them over water. Never fly them in heavy wind conditions. Only fly them to 40% battery remain. NEVER fly a weak battery to under 20%.... Many do this, and then it can cost them the $1000-$2000 drone itself. Batteries for drones are not cheap, but neither is the drone. Batteries are the life blood of the drone... ensure they are in good condition, and if questionable at all... do not use them.

Remember the limits on LiPo batteries, and you will understand and treat them most expendables for other products. LiPo's on power tools are pretty much the same, but they don't fly 400' in the air. The first thing on those tools is the user just notices weaker performance... and yeah, those batteries for similar current delivery are about the same price as drone batteries. Higher power ones are more costly... same for drone batteries. Proper care is required, however the packaging on a power drill will not allow them to swell... so in some instances, if the battery swells beyond the case limit they explode, catch fire in the area they are stored. Drone batteries swell and expand when hot, but flatten some as they cool. Just the nature of liPo batteries.

Last edited:
That sounds like you got a great deal. Check the batteries in the app. Note the voltage when fully charged. Compare the old stored unused batteries to your newer ones. If no differences, all good.. if any differences of more than a few tenths of a volt, that is a sign they are weakening.

The next test of the old batteries is go ahead and fly around in a park or field. Notice the data on the screen, and look at the flight time. If it drops faster, that battery has weakened. I time the flight time on my phone since the flight time indicator on the telemetry can vary for many reasons. It only takes one cell to sour and have the drone report "damaged battery" and auto return, or worse case if the battery has not enough power to RTH it just auto lands... this is where users panic either way. My experience with this is that the drone can still usually give the option to cancel say if you just took off, but if you are beyond VLOS, and it knows it cannot get back safely, there will be NO cancel RTH option, and it will land wherever it is. People like to take risks with these drones.. Don't !! Even though you got a great deal on yours, always always visually spot that bird. Too many fly BVLOS and too many report they lost their drone... 50% of that is user error, and 49% of that is NOT doing a preflight inspection, hover test, waiting GPS lock etc.

Batteries come charged to around 50%. That is the idle charge, but they can still, and will still break down over that years time even with no use. It's like inkjet cartridges when it comes to expendables. Drone LiPo batteries do NOT have a long shelf life. This is why Autel, and other companies are having shortages due to Covid and mfg limitations where the batteries are made.

I would prefer they make batteries like these, but have the cells replaceable by the user. When you think about it, the avg user gets about 50 flights in one battery before they start to fail... That is mostly the user that flies once a week. The Pro users can get 100+ flights as we do in our company here. Most of that within that first year. Then we mark our batteries as we notice the voltage they provide on the cells becomes less over time. For any distant flights, or flight requiring us to be over a lake or ocean, we ONLY use newer batteries.

For the 50 flight user, that ends up being almost $2 a flight on a battery...Our Evo batteries in the co see about 3-4 flights per day, and we keep them out of any heat source as much as possible. Seeing 200 flights on a battery can be standard stuff for those that use them as regularly.

Thing about LiPo's in drones is that either way... your time is limited to about a year before they start to really fail. Initially, users notice the battery not charging to 100% even when completely charged. You may start up, and battery level show 91%, and when it does that, don't plan on flying far... That is a clear sign that battery is dying... As you fly it more, you will notice flight time on the controller data drop rapidly. In some instances of fast flights, or heavy winds, that can be normal when in motion, but generally climbs back up once hovering. For weak batteries however, those numbers drop very fast, and faster the lower the battery percent becomes in flight. This is where users get into trouble... regardless of drone type or mfg... Always pay attention to those numbers. Part of preflight inspection for 107 users is checking battery cells, and many do not.... until it's too late.. Then they come on forums and complain their drone ditched by itself.

Our batteries, if over a year, we have a simple rule. NEVER fly them over water. Never fly them in heavy wind conditions. Only fly them to 40% battery remain. NEVER fly a weak battery to under 20%.... Many do this, and then it can cost them the $1000-$2000 drone itself. Batteries for drones are not cheap, but neither is the drone. Batteries are the life blood of the drone... ensure they are in good condition, and if questionable at all... do not use them.

Remember the limits on LiPo batteries, and you will understand and treat them most expendables for other products. LiPo's on power tools are pretty much the same, but they don't fly 400' in the air. The first thing on those tools is the user just notices weaker performance... and yeah, those batteries for similar current delivery are about the same price as drone batteries. Higher power ones are more costly... same for drone batteries. Proper care is required, however the packaging on a power drill will not allow them to swell... so in some instances, if the battery swells beyond the case limit they explode, catch fire in the area they are stored. Drone batteries swell and expand when hot, but flatten some as they cool. Just the nature of liPo batteries.
incredible and comprehensive you know your stuff .
bitte adot the broadband setting 5 10 or 20 mhz how will I know what's best z this information ive screen shot . I can't thank you enough

incredible and comprehensive you know your stuff .
bitte adot the broadband setting 5 10 or 20 mhz how will I know what's best z this information ive screen shot . I can't thank you enough
i purchased a charging hub im assuming that will be a more intelligent way to keep them maintained

i purchased a charging hub im assuming that will be a more intelligent way to keep them maintained
2 Things for batteries

Keep them cooler, and away from heat. Don't leave in hot cars, garages, etc.
NEVER charge them to not use them, and instead have them result in auto discharge. The more you do that, the more the battery life is reduced.

Charging hub imo makes no difference than the standard charger when it comes to maintaining batteries. The hub just expedites the process on multiple batteries.

2 Things for batteries

Keep them cooler, and away from heat. Don't leave in hot cars, garages, etc.
NEVER charge them to not use them, and instead have them result in auto discharge. The more you do that, the more the battery life is reduced.

Charging hub imo makes no difference than the standard charger when it comes to maintaining batteries. The hub just expedites the process on multiple batteries.
so no intelligence in hub alrighty then. wished I had spent that money elsewhere lol

so no intelligence in hub alrighty then. wished I had spent that money elsewhere lol
Not what I meant. The balanced charger is the way to go for charging multiples... it's also more convenient than charging one at a time. I love using the hub over a single charger. The hub ensures the batteries on the hub are charged safely, and do so using the same smart battery tech that is on the drone battery (though the battery has most the tech built in).

Reactions: PingSpike
Not what I meant. The balanced charger is the way to go for charging multiples... it's also more convenient than charging one at a time. I love using the hub over a single charger. The hub ensures the batteries on the hub are charged safely, and do so using the same smart battery tech that is on the drone battery (though the battery has most the tech built in).
one of the 2 brand new batteries I recieved today was DOA I am bummed
I bought the unit from a reputable reseller on ebay with 100% feedback
I wonder since I purchased it brand new and it can be verified that it has no charge cycles on it if Autel will warranty it. One could ask way I'll need to get me a couple more directly from Autel

The biggest issue I have is I don't know how to figure out your actual version of firmware, and software. Could someone post a simple way to determine your actual software, firmware, etc? I do best with bullet points or # points (Do this, then do this next, then, next, etc.)
Thanks

is the update done to the radio or the drone? if its the radio which is updated why not get a second transmitter and keep one factory stock non-updated

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58