Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery life (Warning)

Glazier

Reaction score
Hey Guys, just a heads up . I was flying yesterday, as I normally do. The battery was reading 30% ,so I was bringing her home for a landing. Just as I was touching down the battery went from 25% to 1% in a matter of 5 seconds. Had I not started to land when I did, the bird would have fallen out of the sky. Lucky , Anyway the battery is 1 of 4 that I have. I marked them all A, B, C, & D. They all have 22 charges on them. For now on I will be landing at 30%. Whereas I was landing at 25%. Heads up :rolleyes:

Reactions: RJ_Make
Thanks for that Glazier,
Batteries do that mate. Unpredictable at times. I lost my Phantom 2 thanks to a battery fault while hovering. I was lucky though, I got a full refund after showing gopro evidence of the failure. Until that point they claimed it was caused by pilot error. But batteries will fail on ALL brands of birds. I watched my mates Phantom 2 explode into flames while warming up on the ground. Also had a second P2 battery swell up big time without notice. never caught fire though, it just went up like a puffer fish.

Reactions: Glazier
Wow! Thanks Glacier for the info. I hardly look at % but more at how much time is left on the flight battery. When it hits 5 mins. and I get that audible warning I am coming home right away. But usually I am back in the area with like 8-10 minutes left on the flight just for good measure.

That's exactly what I would do Michael. With my premium ,when it use to hit 5 min.. I had 25% battery left and I would land. I'm not trusting that No more. I'll be landing at 30% or more for now on. :confused:

That happened to me once as well. 25% to 1 % in a matter of a few seconds. When I called Autel about it the person said it could have been that I started my flight with less than 100% battery, which was true. Started the day's flight with 75% or so. Still, that shouldn't happen. I always land immediately when it hits 25%. Taking no chances.

That happened to me once as well. 25% to 1 % in a matter of a few seconds. When I called Autel about it the person said it could have been that I started my flight with less than 100% battery, which was true. Started the day's flight with 75% or so. Still, that shouldn't happen. I always land immediately when it hits 25%. Taking no chances.
Definitely Kevin , I'm now landing at 30%. Not taking the chance

Ok, now you guys got me thinking. If i haven't flown my bird in a month, and lets say the battery is showing 3 bars with about 85% on the control......do i charge it to full before flight on situations like these? or i should just fly it till 30%, then charge it back up?
I'd never understand how these poly batteries should be handled.

Ok, now you guys got me thinking. If i haven't flown my bird in a month, and lets say the battery is showing 3 bars with about 85% on the control......do i charge it to full before flight on situations like these? or i should just fly it till 30%, then charge it back up?
I'd never understand how these poly batteries should be handled.

I would fly it rather than cycle the battery through a charge. Has anyone however reached and exceeded the 200 estimated cycle count of these batteries to say that they continue to charge and discharge appropriately?

I would just set your low battery warning at 25%-30% for safety purposes. But when you are dealing with onboard CPU's that monitor these outputs you will inevitably have the every so often catastrophic failure. Its Murphys Law!

I had the same problem as the OP just yesterday. One thing different on this flight is that I was using the latest Android app version for the first time. At launch, I noticed 23 minutes battery remaining, which was never more than 18 or 19 on the previous app. I had been flying for about 17 minutes with 6 minutes remaining on the meter (26%) when all of a sudden it dropped to 1 minute remaining, Critical Battery Warning flashed and initiated immediate landing sequence. Fortunately I was already returning for landing and it landed safely about 50 ft. away in a relatively flat area.

I contacted Autel CS and they initially thought it was a bad battery, but later backed off a little and requested my flight log for further analysis. I don't know if my problem was related to the new app, but thought I'd post my experience to see if any others with the problem were using the latest Android version.

I had the same problem as the OP just yesterday. One thing different on this flight is that I was using the latest Android app version for the first time. At launch, I noticed 23 minutes battery remaining, which was never more than 18 or 19 on the previous app. I had been flying for about 17 minutes with 6 minutes remaining on the meter (26%) when all of a sudden it dropped to 1 minute remaining, Critical Battery Warning flashed and initiated immediate landing sequence. Fortunately I was already returning for landing and it landed safely about 50 ft. away in a relatively flat area.

I contacted Autel CS and they initially thought it was a bad battery, but later backed off a little and requested my flight log for further analysis. I don't know if my problem was related to the new app, but thought I'd post my experience to see if any others with the problem were using the latest Android version.
I don't know man. Getting a little scary. Maybe we need to start landing at 40%.:(

Dude, battery's have been failing since drones started. It is nothing new, but with time comes improvements as us that have flown for years already see. Today's batteries are 100% better than 4 years ago, but it still happens less frequently. From experience i will say this, I feel much safer today flying the xsp than i did flying my phantoms. Bottom line for me is this... If a battery is going to fail there really is nothing I can do to prevent it while the pumpkin is up in the air so why stress it. enjoy the time we have :)

Just had a thought: are these battery dropouts all occurring with the Android app or have they also happened with the iOS as well? Could the tablet app be causing erratic "sticky" readings?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials