Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Wish List

As a new drone owner, the ability to point the camera UP is currently the only complaint I have. I'm sure I will find more things to desire as I fly more...

As a new drone owner, the ability to point the camera UP is currently the only complaint I have. I'm sure I will find more things to desire as I fly more...

You would have to crop the video or photo so much so you don't see the props I wonder if that option would really be worth while? ?

Reactions: Tufargon
All of my video is for personal use only , no commercial use. So I really would not mind seeing the props. There are just some locations, like flying under a bridge, or going uphill at a constant altitude, where the ability to look up just a bit would really add to the impact of the shot.

When companies are on a tight budget like Autel and starts spending resource time they would want to make sure the added feature will pay for itself. Not many people want props in the shot.

Reactions: Nightbat2
When companies are on a tight budget like Autel and starts spending resource time they would want to make sure the added feature will pay for itself. Not many people want props in the shot.
True. It should be possible to get the bird to loosely follow the contour of a slope Without having to constantly adjust the altitude manually.

You would have to crop the video or photo so much so you don't see the props I wonder if that option would really be worth while? ?
It's absolutely needed for spherical panoramas. Even 13° up from horizontal would be enough. DJI offers a full 30° up at all times, and uses 13° up on their built-in spherical pano mode, takes 26 images, and stitches them in the camera into a 13MB spherical panorama in 60 seconds total from start to finish, while preserving the original images for more detailed stitching. EVO is sadly stuck at horizontal only, as the maximum gimbal elevation.

It's absolutely needed for spherical panoramas. Even 13° up from horizontal would be enough. DJI offers a full 30° up at all times, and uses 13° up on their built-in spherical pano mode, takes 26 images, and stitches them in the camera into a 13MB spherical panorama in 60 seconds total from start to finish, while preserving the original images for more detailed stitching. EVO is sadly stuck at horizontal only, as the maximum gimbal elevation.

Like I said above, adding anything to the EVO takes resources and how much of a return on it will they end up getting from their customer bank. Right now Autel is focused on what will make them a profit. They struggle to update their Apps as the man power is just not there so wishing for more autonomous features like 360 Panos might be a while in coming.

Its a nice option but not needed, I have been doing 360 pano's for years manually and have a tutorial on here someplace. People are just unwilling to learn something new. :rolleyes:

Like I said above, adding anything to the EVO takes resources and how much of a return on it will they end up getting from their customer bank. Right now Autel is focused on what will make them a profit. They struggle to update their Apps as the man power is just not there so wishing for more autonomous features like 360 Panos might be a while in coming.

Its a nice option but not needed, I have been doing 360 pano's for years manually and have a tutorial on here someplace. People are just unwilling to learn something new. :rolleyes:
You are completely missing the point. It isn't about the automation of the spherical pano. It's about the fact that you cannot create a true 360x180 spherical pano when the camera cannot be elevated above the horizontal. It is a physical limitation of the EVO gimbal. If your EVO subject won't fit into the top of the frame while the gimbal is horizontal, you have no choice but to ascend until it does, losing one of the most dynamic types of spherical panos where scrolling up in the image reveals the top of a spire from well below the top taken on any other drone, like a DJI drone, where you simply elevate the gimbal above horizontal, as necessary, to include the top, without ascending.

Completely agree on Autel's scarce resources. They can't even fix the known problems with EVO features that have existed for over a year!

I'm not missing any points, I'm very aware of how they are made. I have been doing them for a very long time. My point was and still is Autel will spend their money where it does the best for their profit end. If that falls into a gimbal adjustment then so be it. We don't even know if the gimbal motors are capable of moving up. Software\firmware might not be all that is needed.

I'm not missing any points, I'm very aware of how they are made. I have been doing them for a very long time. My point was and still is Autel will spend their money where it does the best for their profit end. If that falls into a gimbal adjustment then so be it. We don't even know if the gimbal motors are capable of moving up. Software\firmware might not be all that is needed.
Apparently, we are both saying the same thing. I have no doubt that the EVO's inability to elevate the gimbal is, in fact, a physical hardware limitation, that cannot be altered by any software or FW change. Where we disagree is that you seem to think that spherical panos where the gimbal cannot be elevated are worth the trouble. True spherical panos, where the gimbal is elevated above the horizontal are the only ones I have ever had any interest in. I could crop them into an EVO horizontal view and below, but that would lose the best parts of my spherical panos. More is always better!

LOL
Well most people will take short cuts to make a pano but good 360 pano's can be done in Photo shop with some practice. One of the reasons I like my Anafi is for the way it produces great panos. It takes 42 photos and stitches in App in under a minute depending on your phone or tablet. ;)

LOL
Well most people will take short cuts to make a true 360 pano but it can be done in Photo shop and some practice. One of the reasons I like my Anafi is for the way it produces get panos. It takes 42 photos and stitches in App in under a minute depending on your phone or tablet. ;)
Indeed. The Anafi, with its true 90° gimbal elevation requires no cloning whatsoever to fill in the ceiling. Usually, the top above the field of view from a 30° or even a 13° elevation above horizontal is inconsequential, so a cloned in sky ceiling hole works just fine. The Mavic 2 does the necessary ceiling cloning/content-aware in the camera, and saves the completed automated stitch to the microSD card.

How does the Anafi do it? Does it first have to download all the original images from the microSD card to the tablet to process them on the tablet, or is it actually processing them in the camera, and saving it to the microSD card, like the M2?

No it downloads the photos first which is the longest part of the process. It has two options. One is normal and the other is excellent quality. So one takes longer then the other but it averages just over a minute on my phone. Millage may very on other tablets or phones.

No it downloads the photos first which is the longest part of the process. It has two options. One is normal and the other is excellent quality. So one takes longer then the other but it averages just over a minute on my phone. Millage may very on other tablets or phones.
Thanks for clarifying. Is this download designed to be done during the flight or only after you have landed? The beauty of the M2P DJI spherical pano feature is that it is able to be done on the camera in flight, with a decent ceiling clone, plus taking all the 26 necessary 20MB original images, all in less than a minute total per pano, without needing to download the images. I can create as many as 8 panos in a single flight, and still have 14 minutes to fly in between them, and back home, and all 8 completed panos are ready to use on the microSD card as soon as I land, along with all the original 20MB images for a professional 75MB image stitch on a desktop, for even greater detail. What desktop program are you using for your web outputs of the panos? I use PanoramaStudio Pro 3.0 and PTGui.

I do it after flight, never tried during flight. I seem to remember it will not allow you to do a 360 once the battery gets to a certain level which I cannot remember what it is. The Anafi takes forty two 21MB photos so I would think processing time would be longer then the M2P not that I am in any hurry. All photos are saved to the SD card for later use in any pano program.
I been using PanoramaStudio Pro for a long time and like it although it can be a pain sometimes on my computer. I need to up grade soon. LOL

I do it after flight, never tried during flight. I seem to remember it will not allow you to do a 360 once the battery gets to a certain level which I cannot remember what it is. The Anafi takes forty-two 21MB photos so I would think processing time would be longer then the M2P not that I am in any hurry. All photos are saved to the SD card for later use in any pano program.
I been using PanoramaStudio Pro for a long time and like it although it can be a pain sometimes on my computer. I need to up grade soon. LOL
Makes sense. It would be way too consumptive of bandwidth to do it over the air. 42 images seems excessive, even with the ceiling included. What algorithm do they use for shooting coverage? The M2 shoots three rows of 8 images, plus two straight down at 90° to each other, and it alternates up and down gimbal elevation to minimize gimbal movement between shots, as it yaws among the 8 positions, taking 3 shots at each . So, down, then up, up, yaw 45°, down, down, yaw 45°, up, up, etc..

Do you shoot the originals in JPG or DNG? Does the first image determine the exposure for the rest of the images? I have found my best results are achieved on clear, overcast days, so no sun or glare anywhere, and the lighting is very even. The same pano shot under different lighting at different times of the day can be dramatically different, as can changing the elevation the pano is shot, at the same location. The hyperlinked pano feature in PanoramaStudio Pro is very useful to move between multiple panos with a visible balloon of the next location, chaining them together, in a virtual flight, zooming from one location to another. Have you tried it?

Never really paid that much attention on the process but I heard for some unknown reason it takes 2 extra pictures. No idea why. It will take two straight up and two straight down opposite each other, When yawing it will complete the different degrees before moving on to the next yaw. And yes your first photo will basically set the exposure. I like it when the sun is over head more then in the horizon. As for DNG photos customers are still trying to get parrot to update this so for now it is only JPG. I have used Topaz JPEG to RAW AI to try to color in the photos which works amazing well.
I also find different elevations to effect the outcome of the 360. One of the most interesting one I saw was from 2 feet off the forest floor using the Anafi. Looking up at the tall trees was fantastic.

Just reading over the manual, something I do not do very often LOL but it says Depending on the power of your device, FreeFlight 6 may display one or two resolution options, up to 32 MP. Select the option you want to launch the generation. The time this process takes also depends on your device’s power. For the highest quality 360 panorama (32 MP), it can take several minutes.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain