Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Smart Controller Issues and Wrapping Thoughts Before I Returned

atortaloha

Reaction score
Just a little video before returned back to @advexure where I purchased who were really great and packed and shipped well which was appreciated and made for an easy return. Definitely glitchy with the responsiveness of the buttons many times and rebooting didn't seem to help seems like firmware updating will be needed asap to address this and some other issues. Many times it seemed to take almost a minute to power on fully to get into the app to fly so there was that too. Just some wrapping thoughts cool controller though just not sure how easy it was or is to fly well with that stick placement being SO far apart from each other.

Great detail, @atortaloha. ? Thanks for sharing your feedback and findings. We appreciate your support and providing some good insight that I believe Autel can take constructively in a few scenarios to improve in subsequent firmware updates, and I'm sure for future products in the roadmap. ;)

cc: @Blade Strike

Just a little video before returned back to @advexure where I purchased who were really great and packed and shipped well which was appreciated and made for an easy return. Definitely glitchy with the responsiveness of the buttons many times and rebooting didn't seem to help seems like firmware updating will be needed asap to address this and some other issues. Many times it seemed to take almost a minute to power on fully to get into the app to fly so there was that too. Just some wrapping thoughts cool controller though just not sure how easy it was or is to fly well with that stick placement being SO far apart from each other.

Thank you for the positive and constructive feedback. I will definitely forward this to the correct channels .

Ken

Thanks for that. In terms of observations about the device itself, it's actually so close to what I was going to say in a similar video that now I don't have to make it.

That said, I haven't decided to return the SC yet. But I haven't decided not to, either. The bright screen does cover a multitude of sins. For all the problems I've noticed, at least I can see the blasted screen. Now I don't have to wait until I get home to see how poorly I'm flying.

The shortcomings are there, though; and I'm pessimistic about whether they can be fixed with a firmware update. The lagginess, the raster roughness during movements, and one particular delay I experienced that took so long to recover from that I thought the OS had locked up, all feel like mediocre hardware to me (specifically the SoC, RAM, and storage).

I could be wrong, of course. The stripped-down Android 7 OS is pretty lightweight, but maybe there's room for some additional pruning.

I also noticed considerable improvement when I switched to Mapbox (which was a nice touch, by the way).

But overall, I'm not hopeful that touch-responsiveness and raster smoothness will ever improve very much, if at all. I think that's a function of mediocre core hardware.

And then there's the sound (or more specifically, the lack of same). I don't expect huge improvement there. Media playback volume is only slightly better than app volume; so I think that's mainly hardware, too.

Most likely I'll keep the SC because it will take me longer to decide than the return window lasts. And that's okay because I don't hate it overall, and I love the screen size and brightness. I also love the battery life. It lasts longer than I'll ever need it to. I get tired of flying before the battery gets tired of pumping juice.

I would have liked a faster SoC and storage, however, as well as more RAM and a speaker I could actually hear. In terms of responsiveness, raster smoothness, and sound, it's a big step down from either of the phones I used (a OnePlus 7t and an iPhone 11).

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles