Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel needs to up their markting game

SamuelA

Reaction score
My first, and only current drones, are two XSPs. I was looking at Autel’s website for EVO info and disappointed that their website marketing is so poor in promoting this new product (frankly their whole site kind of stinks). Especially when comparing to DJI’s Mavic Pro 2 website info.

Perhaps they are redesigning their web presence now, but I think DJI is leading the website wars. Frankly, DJI has been leading web communications since I started looking at both sites about 2 years ago.

I tend to agree to an extent. There's plenty of "what" but not enough "how", "why", "where" and "when". I think it will come as all my dealings with Autel support persuade me that they are capable, conscientious and caring. As a relatively new market entrant, they obviously don't have the resources of a DJI so they have to prioritise their efforts, which are probably focused on getting the product right before improving the website. Hopefully, they are also working on international distribution which is a complex thing.

But the best marketing that any company can get is word-of-mouth recommendation and that can only be maximised if the product is right. The other bits (website, literature, advertising, sponsorship, etc, etc) can follow.

And looking at the word-of-mouth comments in the forums, Youtube, social media, etc, EVO's proportion of happy owners seems to be way ahead of any competitors. That's a great base to grow from.

Reactions: UnRanged
Like Parrot, I’m pretty sure Autel laid-off their MarComm folks over a year ago. It’s been evident for months that engineers make horrific marketing/communications people.
Every company needs professional MarComm, ignore it at your peril...

Like Parrot, I’m pretty sure Autel laid-off their MarComm folks over a year ago. It’s been evident for months that engineers make horrific marketing/communications people.
Every company needs professional MarComm, ignore it at your peril...
With the major EVO launch imminent? Seems unlikely.

Hilo, I just checked Natalie (Dir of Communications in the older Autel vids) LinkedIn profile and (as for her) she moved on from Autel in July of last year. I was curious and looked at all Autel employees on LI ... there are no apparent Marketing leaders currently with the company.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
YuKay, where did you see those positions? Indeed has several service positions, but not the ones you indicated. Their careers web page has a few tech positions in Germany, China and Pittsburgh. Jeff needs some help which I’d like to provide if it can be performed in Chicago. One can only ask ;)

With the major EVO launch imminent? Seems unlikely.
Did you witness the launch/not launch/kinda launch/maybe we should launch this now — launch? It was a complete train wreck. Then, they didn’t have many/any/some/check back/I dunno try Amazon. Batteries? Out of stock in one day, then again, then again.

You are right, it seems unlikely, but it happens all the time. Companies run by engineering-types, that need to cut-back, think they can do things well outside their area of expertise, often with results exactly like this. It was one of the worse major product launches I’ve ever witnessed, and I’ve seen some ugly ones...
It’s a solid product, but..... geeeeeeeez

Last edited:
You may be confusing the drone industry with Apple. Most (all) of the drones I have seen launched in the past year or more haven't been available to buy for months afterwards.

Why you seem to think the marketing team is to blame for manufacturing/engineering delays and fixes, I'm not sure. The marketeers have to make the best of a bad job when the supply chain messes up or the software development overruns or the cash runs low because the revenues are delayed.

The fact that the product is good - arguably great - is not a fluke. They made sure it was good enough to sell with pride and, yes, a perfect launch was not possible because they had to make some tough decisions - which turned out to be good ones.

I'm sure we haven't seen Autel in top gear yet but I think it's coming. The signs are good: I just hope they are selling plenty.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
You may be confusing the drone industry with Apple. Most (all) of the drones I have seen launched in the past year or more haven't been available to buy for months afterwards.

Why you seem to think the marketing team is to blame for manufacturing/engineering delays and fixes, I'm not sure. The marketeers have to make the best of a bad job when the supply chain messes up or the software development overruns or the cash runs low because the revenues are delayed.

The fact that the product is good - arguably great - is not a fluke. They made sure it was good enough to sell with pride and, yes, a perfect launch was not possible because they had to make some tough decisions - which turned out to be good ones.

I'm sure we haven't seen Autel in top gear yet but I think it's coming. The signs are good: I just hope they are selling plenty.
Looks like they have just taken on a new director of sales and marketing - at least, they were advertising for one. VP Jeff Powell has overall responsibility for marketing.

More interesting to me is their ad for an Overseas Sales Manager/Director.
Ah, Red Bits ... got it.

Reactions: YuKay
My first, and only current drones, are two XSPs. I was looking at Autel’s website for EVO info and disappointed that their website marketing is so poor in promoting this new product (frankly their whole site kind of stinks). Especially when comparing to DJI’s Mavic Pro 2 website info.

Perhaps they are redesigning their web presence now, but I think DJI is leading the website wars. Frankly, DJI has been leading web communications since I started looking at both sites about 2 years ago.
They did revamp the store just a few weeks ago.

No confusion, only dismay. I like Evo, I might buy one, after my trusty XSP’s spontaneously combust on impact. Production/engineering/operational issues happen to everyone, even Apple. The issue is communication. My point is/was, there isn’t a formal marketing/communications team at Autel. I can’t blame folks that don’t exist.

There is a difference between a product announcement, and a product launch. One is an alert something is coming at a future date, one is an announcement something is for sale quite soon. Autel handled the announcement OK, generating a lot of buzz at CES in Vegas, but had nobody left to keep it going. The buzz died, people got pissed off at the months of silence (check this forum!). Many folks wrote-off Evo, even wrote off Autel as going bankrupt (check this forum!). When Evo was finally offered for sale almost 7 months later, it was a clumsy, disjointed mess of stock, out of stock, stock, out of stock — even dealers were frustrated. Those who got one found the horizon was tilted. Months later, firmware seems to have fixed it.

Problems, availability, or lack there of, can be successfully communicated if professionals are present. You can declare demand is out-striping supply — which in itself can generate buzz, especially on social media. Autel didn’t say much on FB or their website — we only saw a lot of out-of-stock notes. They obviously didn’t have a crisis communication plan/team, or any real strategy if there’s a bump in the road — and there’s always bumps in the road.

In Autel’s defense, DJI is a monster. Competing with them is very difficult. Parrot just laid off a bunch of folks and lowered the price of the Anafi. Yuneec did it in 2017. Autel in 2018. Commonly, MarComm & HR folks are the first to go. Lately, Autel’s Facebook presence seems to be better than it was at launch, even if there isn’t a central theme or strategy — so maybe they hired a few social media folks (cheaper), but I’m only guessing...

Tbh, I'm not sure when the launch was if it wasn't at CES but I did hear one of the marketing team on the stand say it would be available in June. It wasn't - but I assume the comms were deliberately sketchy with so many other players bringing out a new bird at the same time and everyone playing the same "coming soon" game. It was also a time of intense regulatory evolution which probably threw several spanners in the works.

At the time, I was planning to buy a Typhoon H+ but dithering because I wasn't thrilled with its pan stutter or its shockingly bad JPEGs so was waiting for a firmware update to fix. So I was keeping an eye on Autel too because they misled me with promises of a 1in sensor for under $1k (which remains their worst crime imho).

But after launch I was able to compare footage from the EVO and H+ and saw that the smaller sensor was producing cleaner video while the EVO's JPEGs were 100x better than the H+. Then a FW update improved the EVO footage while Yuneec still hadn't tackled the H+ issues. So I switched and bought an EVO - which given my level of expertise and pure hobby use was where I should have been in the first place.

For me it was worth the wait; and I'm slowly getting over the sensor scam thanks to Autel performing miracles with their small sensor. With all my marketing/PR experience, I know for sure that the best advertisement is a great product that makes people want to talk about it; and for all Autel's development and launch issues, I believe that the EVO is a great product. I'm also very impressed by their after-sales service and support ethos - which may be better than any of their competitors.

Only Apple does perfect launches. Tiny Autel couldn't and that should not have been a surprise. I think the end justifies the means.

No confusion, only dismay. I like Evo, I might buy one, after my trusty XSP’s spontaneously combust on impact. Production/engineering/operational issues happen to everyone, even Apple. The issue is communication. My point is/was, there isn’t a formal marketing/communications team at Autel. I can’t blame folks that don’t exist.

There is a difference between a product announcement, and a product launch. One is an alert something is coming at a future date, one is an announcement something is for sale quite soon. Autel handled the announcement OK, generating a lot of buzz at CES in Vegas, but had nobody left to keep it going. The buzz died, people got pissed off at the months of silence (check this forum!). Many folks wrote-off Evo, even wrote off Autel as going bankrupt (check this forum!). When Evo was finally offered for sale almost 7 months later, it was a clumsy, disjointed mess of stock, out of stock, stock, out of stock — even dealers were frustrated. Those who got one found the horizon was tilted. Months later, firmware seems to have fixed it.

Problems, availability, or lack there of, can be successfully communicated if professionals are present. You can declare demand is out-striping supply — which in itself can generate buzz, especially on social media. Autel didn’t say much on FB or their website — we only saw a lot of out-of-stock notes. They obviously didn’t have a crisis communication plan/team, or any real strategy if there’s a bump in the road — and there’s always bumps in the road.

In Autel’s defense, DJI is a monster. Competing with them is very difficult. Parrot just laid off a bunch of folks and lowered the price of the Anafi. Yuneec did it in 2017. Autel in 2018. Commonly, MarComm & HR folks are the first to go. Lately, Autel’s Facebook presence seems to be better than it was at launch, even if there isn’t a central theme or strategy — so maybe they hired a few social media folks (cheaper), but I’m only guessing...

Its OK Hilo, most of these new forum members I call evo-ngelist (One who seeks to convert others to the Autel faith, especially by public preaching.)
Most have no idea of all the bull crap that Autel pulled off in the last two years to make us fearful of buying back into their game.

41727804_1432121603591777_3108324182086123520_n_InPixio.jpg

You can see the number of drones they have in stock. They have sold around 100 units since black friday on their online store, not counting amazon, best buy, or other retailers.

Thanks for the clue. 100 per week from their website sounds ok but was presumably inflated by their special deal. Hopefully their dealers will be doing a further 400 per week - but who knows how many they need to be selling?

They are advertising for an international sales and marketing manager/director which suggests that the world may be about to become their oyster.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy