Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Explorer v1.0.1.9 BETA - Autel - Have you lost your mind?

thomasr

Reaction score
So in my video comments of my Evo BETA firmware test flight - I ended with this rant about the Explorer App v 1.0.1.9 BETA. Autel answered several of the concerns actually.

One that really makes no sense, has to do with the requirements for the BETA app:

P.S. I loaded the BETA Explorer App on my main phone -- and everything loaded just fine with my logs. There is a major problem... any playback has GOOGLE watermarked so large across the screen -- that you can not see anything of value. Please fix that! Or Google has changed something!

And here is what they have written back:

I went to Best Buys website. I prefer unlocked phones. I find only three models of Android phones to meet this criteria:

And they range in price from $649.99 - $1049.99

I have been using a Huawei Elate without any other issue other than my maps not caching in Google Maps when I went through the motions. I really blame this more on Google updating the app a lot the last few weeks.

The phone I use is Android Nougat 7.0:

I have no complaint running the v 1.0.1.8 on this setup. Runs like anything else I ever put at it.

Even found out it runs DU - Recorder and spits out 1080P in the same amount of time as most PC's. It runs like a beast, running Explorer App and DU Recorder at the same time - did not notice it at all.

I do not know how this affects Apple. Not worried -- no hate.

I find these Android specs a little bit obscene -- anyone else's thoughts?

Thank you.

Edit: Google updates hit different versions of Android at different times, but Google has been on a tear lately with their own app updates.

Just showing my earlier mention of updates to their Map application. This hit my Oreo device this morning.

For anyone like myself - using a device with no data connection while out flying -- and you cache your maps -- It will take some adjustment to your routine of caching -- as Google can't leave anything alone... lol Caching still works, but you have to keep up with the setting in the Maps app, as google keeps moving and renaming it.

(OFFLINE MODE is now known as WIFI ONLY MODE.) I used to have settings and a menu for offline maps, after the update to my Nougat 7.0 device last week, I had to flip a switch that now says WIFI ONLY MODE to get things in sync again.

This was what I originally thought the problem with the BETA app was going to be -- was constant updates/monkeying from Google -- but was shocked to get the above reply just the same.

38383839 3840

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2128
There are older models that meet this criteria. I run a Galaxy S8 and it has this. It is true though, that if you are not using a flagship model, you most likely will have resolution issues. That's something to keep in mind when chosing a new phone...
Screenshot_20190315-084959_Settings.jpg

This is poor programming on Autel's part. Lower resolution shouldn't make an app run worse, it should make it run better. I run the explorer app off of a tablet, which I'm pretty sure will get screwed by this.

I did some testing on my phone and here are my results.

1440P
Screenshot_20190315-172320_Autel Explorer.jpg
1080p
Screenshot_20190315-172344_Autel Explorer.jpg
720p
Screenshot_20190315-172245_Autel Explorer.jpg

Unlike you, the watermark didn't become bigger. It actually dissapeared? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

I did some testing on my phone and here are my results.

1440P
1080p
720p

Unlike you, the watermark didn't become bigger. It actually dissapeared? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

On my Oreo device, has a 720 x 1440 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~282 ppi density) display -- no options to change resolution -- but I did toy with options to change font/display size... options in both places allows for small-medium-large type selections. I did make the display small to fit more on the screen and change the font size to default (originally I had it one click up). The image shown in the post of the watermark -- is after those changes -- nothing mattered on that device.

My Nougat device is the same settings, but @ 720*1280 (267 ppi density) display to work with.

Reactions: Ansia
This is poor programming on Autel's part. Lower resolution shouldn't make an app run worse, it should make it run better. I run the explorer app off of a tablet, which I'm pretty sure will get screwed by this.

If I remember some of the Android development specifications correctly, it is not as much about resolution as it is the screen density/PPI and a few other factors.

Different screen sizes of course have different pixel densities. This doesn't necessarily mean that bigger screens have more pixels. This is why other apps you may have used in the past is downloadable on one device -- but claims not compatible on another when you try to download it. Not sure why they aren't using this ability in this case.

Also, because of these different combinations - some screens work out to be different aspects like 16:9 or 16:10(aka 8:5) for example. Some of these aspects are compatible with some screens and not compatible with others.

As for resolutions -- some are compatible with others. What displays on a 16:9 aspect -- will show the same for example on a 720*1280 or 1920*1080 display, as it will also display the same on a smaller resolution of 854*480.

The chart below kind of explains this a little easier by color. All resolutions with the same colors are compatible and will show the same across the different screen sizes.

Some of these display types are relevant and others are not -- as this is a lump across multiple display types ( old style computer monitors, tv's old and new and LCD displays found on many TV's phones and laptops.

I have not kept up with it lately, but on a computer -- 1366*768 used to be the biggest/most used display in the wild. As with android phones, it meets the definition of HD, and can show 16:9 ratio apps just fine. But throw something HD+ and it will act like the problem seen here with the Android app and developers choice of resolution support.

Well I don't know about you guys, but this cleared it right up for me.

;)

?? ?? ? There are some things I know I babble -- that just zoom over your head's .... hahahaha

but on the flip side - to be honest - when it comes to this actual drone I own... ???

I am still learning, so some of the things you all babble -- just zooms over my head. Things like: FOA, BOA, DOA & VPS. (all drone related)

But that's why I am here. To learn and possibly assist in return!

If it zooms over your head - I apologize! ?

I am still digging on this, I am sure there are other model phones that have come out and are no longer in retail for the past few years that should be able to work.

Interesting that I found this in a discussion, where everyone was curious -- who was using what to operate the drone with -- a phone or tablet.

Seems this has been a problem for some people -- long before now. Seems actually NOT to have anything to do with the BETA.

Reactions: Ansia
Anyone heard whether Android 9 will be supported anytime soon? I get errors and disconnects while flying ONLY with my Android 9 device. I have a device that runs 7 and one that runs 8 and no problems with them...

Anyone heard whether Android 9 will be supported anytime soon? I get errors and disconnects while flying ONLY with my Android 9 device. I have a device that runs 7 and one that runs 8 and no problems with them...

Not one mention of what version of Android is supported.

I fly just fine with an Android 7 Huawel 5.5 Elate phone - but app barely runs on my Android 8 MotoG6 Play something phone...

There is a few conversations on here dating back to December with problems.

Sometimes it is your screen resolution -- sometimes it can be the phone's power saving tools throwing a wrench -- especially when you mention "disconnet".

Screen time-outs, sleep settings, etc... check anything that could help figure out -- if it is your phones software/settings causing the problems -- or if they may really be a problem for that phone/OS

My Android 7 device has options to override "power-hungry" apps -- which helped me -- with possibly the same situation you are having...

Yeah - good thoughts. I'm going to try running through some of the power settings next time I fly.. Interesting you mention having problems on your MOTO G6 running Android 8... Out of the 3 phones I use, the MOTO X4 running Android 9 is the only one that has these problems... The other 2 are ZTE phones (one with Android7 and the other Android8) with zero issues...

Reactions: thomasr
Yeah - good thoughts. I'm going to try running through some of the power settings next time I fly.. Interesting you mention having problems on your MOTO G6 running Android 8... Out of the 3 phones I use, the MOTO X4 running Android 9 is the only one that has these problems... The other 2 are ZTE phones (one with Android7 and the other Android8) with zero issues...

It is one of the few variants they have for the G6 line - very capable phone - IMO. Verizon had a 3GB RAM 32 GB storage version made -- other carriers took the 2GB RAM 16GB models. I have the latter. It has an HD screen - but minimal HD with a weird ratio. That seems to be what they app doesn't like about it. Just the resolution of the screen -- and specifically is not one that Autel mentioned -- that is supported.

It makes no sense, because the Elate is a minimal HD screen with exactly 1280*720 -- and again not on their list of supported resolutions - but has no issues with the v.1.0.1.8 app.

Not sure where to find the supported resolutions, but I must admit that it never occured to me that that could be the cause of any problems, either. As for my MOTO X4, the resolution is:

Resolution1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~424 ppi density)

The resolution on the other 2 phones I use with no problems:

ZTE Axon 7:
Resolution1440 x 2560 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~538 ppi density)

ZTE Axon 7 Mini:
Resolution1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~423 ppi density)

I misstated that one of them runs Oreo before.. they are both run Nougat...

Like your G6, the X4 is a great phone in every regard... just not when it comes to flying the EVO..

I haven't tried the new Beta for the Explorer app, but I'm anxious to see if the stable release solves anything.

Not sure where to find the supported resolutions, but I must admit that it never occured to me that that could be the cause of any problems, either. As for my MOTO X4, the resolution is:

Resolution1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~424 ppi density)

The resolution on the other 2 phones I use with no problems:

ZTE Axon 7:
Resolution1440 x 2560 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~538 ppi density)

ZTE Axon 7 Mini:
Resolution1080 x 1920 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~423 ppi density)

I misstated that one of them runs Oreo before.. they are both run Nougat...

Like your G6, the X4 is a great phone in every regard... just not when it comes to flying the EVO..

I haven't tried the new Beta for the Explorer app, but I'm anxious to see if the stable release solves anything.

I think the geek in me has figured out a bigger part of the problem. ? You see I have pieced the puzzle together slowly?...

Autel did respond to me -- with the supported resolutions -- and went on to talk about "known issues":

(...this is the first "real" mention of "supported resolutions" or -- to me -- "supported devices". Anything else I have so far seen or read -- on this subject -- has not been provided by Autel ...)

3953WQDD+ is mis-typed, lol - should be WQHD+

This pointed me to Samsung products, but it seemed odd that only certain Samsung devices seemed to even support this resolution -- and there are other people using earlier Samsung devices on this app without any problems.

I posted a graphic of the normal smash-up of resolutions over the years -- and though this one had not been updated in a few years -- It seemed striking that the resolutions given by Autel -- seemed like a totally different aspect ratio. And that is correct. Samsung's AMOLED screen, size and ppi rating on these devices -- allow for Samsung to "differentiate" their "flagship's" from "the others". These resolutions belong to a new display ratios being based on: 18.5:9 and are named HD+ , FHD+ and WQHD+

This is not the standard 18:9 "standard" -- that popped up on displays -- where the chart I posted kind of leaves off. These ratios stated by Autel -- are specific to Samsung as I can tell.

Off to do a little research:

So - I find in my digging -- a phone line-up that provided close to the resolutions required, and find some of the LG "G" series are a close runner up -- with their IPS screen, size and ppi -- produce resolutions adding up to -- the 16:9 screen ratio. Their ratio names are HD, FHD, and WQHD (or aka QHD). Sound familiar? Battle of the flagships. The resolutions for these ratios: HD (1280x720), FHD (1920x1080) and WQHD (or aka QHD) with (2560×1440). To quote from Wikipedia in my reading:

So a quick fast forward through history:

Remember -- every display -- until technology romped forward was based on the (4:3 ratio) (usually CRT's)
This ratio is based on/around a 1.33:1 screen ratio.

Were not easily adaptable to a wider aspect ratio as image was not as tall as it was wide -- but still resembled more of a square shape.

As mentioned -- these various resolutions are achieved based on differences in a measure referred to as DPI ( Dots Per Inch ).

Sound familiar? This is a measurement similar to PPI (Pixels Per Inch) -- used in flat panel (usual flat) displays today.

Display resolutions were switched up to the 16:9 ratio's in the 90's-2000's.
This ratio was based on a 2:1 screen ratio.
Each step up is 50% larger -- or simply, "double in size" -- for both the width and height of the screen.

*The 16:9 aspect ratio it is exactly 2 times the width and 11/2 times the height of 4:3

As technology romped forward. There has became new screen ratios. Some of those in focus here are the 18:9 and 18.5:9.

18:9 ratios were thought to be the future -- they also added dilemma
No longer based on the 2:1 screen ratio...now based on a screen ratio of 1:2
The width of the screen is twice the height of it.

...but then Samsung took it a step further with the introduction of devices based on an 18.5:9 ratio
The math starts getting fuzzy here -- as this ratio is now based on a 2.056:1 screen ratio
It is a little taller in height while remaining the same in width as simple 18:9 screen resolutions -- hence the "+" naming given by Samsung.
This screen ratio of 2.056:1 is very close to that of 2:1 -- used by 16:9 screen resolutions.

Bottom line -- not all screens were created equal -- (none are perfect squares, rectangles, etc.)
Some will be better than others at "scaling" these changes -- whether it is scaled up or down to fit the display's resolution.

This is the reason I find my Elate with a 720p (1280x720) standard HD display functions OK -- as it is more related to what is being done here. While the app is being scaled on (18.5:9) screen ratios -- the ratio of (2.056:1) -- is a closer cousin to to 16:9 screen ratios of 2:1. It therefore "scales" down gracefully to fit on this devices display.

On a 18:9 display -- like my Moto G6 Play with a (1440x720) non-standard "HD" display -- the displays are not similar enough in actual screen ratios and resolutions to "scale" up/down without causing something to not scale in size properly -- like the GOOGLE logo in the app I complained about -- being a BIG problem. lol

With all said -- I have concluded that people who have phones based on 16:9 standard HD aspect ratios -- will have a better outcome with how the app is displaying on their devices; with regards to how it is scaled up or down to fit the screen.

Seem's anyone with an "18:9" display may be out of luck
-- since the aspect ratios are simply totally different ones in the scheme of things, they simply will not scale up/down -- without issues.

Does not mean it will run on CHEAP or older devices though!
I said it has to have a standard 16:9 HD resolution device screen.

There are so many devices that you think are HD -- but they are really not -- many do not even fit the definition of basic 720p (1280x720).

If you have a device with a resolution of (1280x720), (1920x1080) or (2560×1440) -- you should be OK -- as they are all 16:9 resolutions.

YMMV.

If you have a Jelly Bean tablet or phone for example -- with a resolution of 1024*768 (4:3) -- it will not scale and display properly -- it is that simple! lol ...while anything else here mentioned may not sound simple. This is as simple as the transition to HDTV from old tube CRT's in the 2000's.

FIN

Y'know... You'd think some REAL standardization would be in order... How the heck does any entertainment company (anything from Disney to Autel - anything that has to do with using or viewing what a camera has output) know what format they should bet on?? Is this the beginning of another format war maybe (à la beta/vhs)?

I think the geek in me has figured out a bigger part of the problem. ? You see I have pieced the puzzle together slowly?...

Autel did respond to me -- with the supported resolutions -- and went on to talk about "known issues":

(...this is the first "real" mention of "supported resolutions" or -- to me -- "supported devices". Anything else I have so far seen or read -- on this subject -- has not been provided by Autel ...)

View attachment 3953WQDD+ is mis-typed, lol - should be WQHD+

This pointed me to Samsung products, but it seemed odd that only certain Samsung devices seemed to even support this resolution -- and there are other people using earlier Samsung devices on this app without any problems.

I posted a graphic of the normal smash-up of resolutions over the years -- and though this one had not been updated in a few years -- It seemed striking that the resolutions given by Autel -- seemed like a totally different aspect ratio. And that is correct. Samsung's AMOLED screen, size and ppi rating on these devices -- allow for Samsung to "differentiate" their "flagship's" from "the others". These resolutions belong to a new display ratios being based on: 18.5:9 and are named HD+ , FHD+ and WQHD+

This is not the standard 18:9 "standard" -- that popped up on displays -- where the chart I posted kind of leaves off. These ratios stated by Autel -- are specific to Samsung as I can tell.

Off to do a little research:

So - I find in my digging -- a phone line-up that provided close to the resolutions required, and find some of the LG "G" series are a close runner up -- with their IPS screen, size and ppi -- produce resolutions adding up to -- the 16:9 screen ratio. Their ratio names are HD, FHD, and WQHD (or aka QHD). Sound familiar? Battle of the flagships. The resolutions for these ratios: HD (1280x720), FHD (1920x1080) and WQHD (or aka QHD) with (2560×1440). To quote from Wikipedia in my reading:

View attachment 3954

View attachment 3955

View attachment 3956

So a quick fast forward through history:

Remember -- every display -- until technology romped forward was based on the (4:3 ratio) (usually CRT's)
This ratio is based on/around a 1.33:1 screen ratio.

Were not easily adaptable to a wider aspect ratio as image was not as tall as it was wide -- but still resembled more of a square shape.

View attachment 3957

As mentioned -- these various resolutions are achieved based on differences in a measure referred to as DPI ( Dots Per Inch ).

Sound familiar? This is a measurement similar to PPI (Pixels Per Inch) -- used in flat panel (usual flat) displays today.

Display resolutions were switched up to the 16:9 ratio's in the 90's-2000's.
This ratio was based on a 2:1 screen ratio.
Each step up is 50% larger -- or simply, "double in size" -- for both the width and height of the screen.

*The 16:9 aspect ratio it is exactly 2 times the width and 11/2 times the height of 4:3

As technology romped forward. There has became new screen ratios. Some of those in focus here are the 18:9 and 18.5:9.

18:9 ratios were thought to be the future -- they also added dilemma
No longer based on the 2:1 screen ratio...now based on a screen ratio of 1:2
The width of the screen is twice the height of it.

...but then Samsung took it a step further with the introduction of devices based on an 18.5:9 ratio
The math starts getting fuzzy here -- as this ratio is now based on a 2.056:1 screen ratio
It is a little taller in height while remaining the same in width as simple 18:9 screen resolutions -- hence the "+" naming given by Samsung.
This screen ratio of 2.056:1 is very close to that of 2:1 -- used by 16:9 screen resolutions.

Bottom line -- not all screens were created equal -- (none are perfect squares, rectangles, etc.)
Some will be better than others at "scaling" these changes -- whether it is scaled up or down to fit the display's resolution.

This is the reason I find my Elate with a 720p (1280x720) standard HD display functions OK -- as it is more related to what is being done here. While the app is being scaled on (18.5:9) screen ratios -- the ratio of (2.056:1) -- is a closer cousin to to 16:9 screen ratios of 2:1. It therefore "scales" down gracefully to fit on this devices display.

On a 18:9 display -- like my Moto G6 Play with a (1440x720) non-standard "HD" display -- the displays are not similar enough in actual screen ratios and resolutions to "scale" up/down without causing something to not scale in size properly -- like the GOOGLE logo in the app I complained about -- being a BIG problem. lol

With all said -- I have concluded that people who have phones based on 16:9 standard HD aspect ratios -- will have a better outcome with how the app is displaying on their devices; with regards to how it is scaled up or down to fit the screen.

Seem's anyone with an "18:9" display may be out of luck
-- since the aspect ratios are simply totally different ones in the scheme of things, they simply will not scale up/down -- without issues.

Does not mean it will run on CHEAP or older devices though!
I said it has to have a standard 16:9 HD resolution device screen.

There are so many devices that you think are HD -- but they are really not -- many do not even fit the definition of basic 720p (1280x720).

If you have a device with a resolution of (1280x720), (1920x1080) or (2560×1440) -- you should be OK -- as they are all 16:9 resolutions.

YMMV.

If you have a Jelly Bean tablet or phone for example -- with a resolution of 1024*768 (4:3) -- it will not scale and display properly -- it is that simple! lol ...while anything else here mentioned may not sound simple. This is as simple as the transition to HDTV from old tube CRT's in the 2000's.

FIN

Great analysis, btw.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials