Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel Evo II downgrade issues? DH has a solution!

Hmm...followed directions...it went through the download process and I'm getting all green lights, but no dice, the firmware still is 2.5. I did the download process a few times and checked sd car bin file was gone...each time I did it and rebooted...could be me...anyone else have success?IMG_1783.jpg

Hmm...followed directions...it went through the download process and I'm getting all green lights, but no dice, the firmware still is 2.5. I did the download process a few times and checked sd car bin file was gone...each time I did it and rebooted...could be me...anyone else have success?View attachment 8366
That is exactly what I would get. I wouldn’t get it every time but I think I got it 3 times out of about 20 tries.

Works perfectly with the Evo I and Evo II drones.
Took my Evo I from 1.4.9, upgraded via SD card to 1.5.8, verified firmware version #'s, then put 1.4.9.bin back on the SD card with the file from DH.
Downgraded just fine. Verified 1.4.9 firmware on drone.
Things to check:
1. Make sure the firmware file is named correctly.
For Evo II firmware it must be exactly: Model-C_FW_V2.5.0.bin and for Evo I EVO_FW_V1.5.8.bin Follow that format. The only thing that will change is the version # after the V
2. The file from DH. Make sure it is just the file, and NOT a .txt file. Download and unzip to the root of your SD card, along with the firmware file you want to go to.

Turn on the RC first, then turn on the drone:

Your EVO I and II go through the following steps:
unpacking
Download firmware (uploads firmware from SD card to drone)
Upgrading firmware
Extracting
Checking
Update %
Update successful, RC restarts
Upgrade status is shown on RC with message Reboot RC and aircraft before use

Reactions: Bigdz and Ansia
That is exactly what I would get. I wouldn’t get it every time but I think I got it 3 times out of about 20 tries.
This is because your file from DH is either not present OR you named it a .txt file. Your drone never went through the upgrade process...it only checked firmware.

The Drone-Hacks file is the key. It is not a .zip file or a .txt file because there is no extension to it like .zip, or .txt or .jpg.
EVO IEvo I.JPGEvo II.JPG
EVO II

Last edited:
Perfect. My examples are straight from cards used in the drone, so there are the extra folders on them already. Those are NOT needed for this, and perfectly fine to leave them there, so you can use your existing SD card in the drone...after any firmware update, the firmware file is deleted.

I guess the only "trick" is making sure your operating system doesn't make the file a .txt file...something I suspect is happening so that would make the firmware just do a check and not any flashing.
The current firmware is copied to the drone itself, so thats how it will check itself for version differences, even if you have an earlier firmware on the SD card. It will check the firmware version on the card, then check the firmware file saved on the drone itself, see that the SD card firmware is earlier, check itself against the firmware file saved on the drone, then discard the firmware file on the SD card, since it is earlier version. When you have the drone-hacks file on there, it doesn't check and just does a firmware flash of the file on the SD card, no matter what version....even if it is the same firmware as what is already on the drone.

Hope this makes sense. DJI does the same thing, just a little bit differently...they are more "tricky" to get past firmware downgrading.

Notice Augustine and my example show the force_upgrade file as a file type as just File and not .txt file.

Last edited:
Hmm...followed directions...it went through the download process and I'm getting all green lights, but no dice, the firmware still is 2.5. I did the download process a few times and checked sd car bin file was gone...each time I did it and rebooted...could be me...anyone else have success?View attachment 8366
The file is still there. The extension was just renamed to .old. It's a hidden file or extension. If you allow showing hidden files in your system you'll see it. Then you just remove the .old at the end and you can re-use it again.

My problem was the naming of the bin file. Fixed it and now it's being upgraded. Will report in a few minutes. While I wait for it to complete, I wonder. Will it work for the X-Star as well? ?

I have the file named correctly. I will try again tomorrow. I have tried so many times today that I need to charge the battery & controller.

My problem was the naming of the bin file. Fixed it and now it's being upgraded. Will report in a few minutes. While I wait for it to complete, I wonder. Will it work for the X-Star as well? ?
hmmm...great question. I think if they are consistent it would...worth a try if you have one!

@Agustine What are your plans for tomorrow? Care to test this out? Worse it could happen is for the firmware to fail and you continue having the latest one.

I remember way back in the Mavic Pro days when someone figured out how to use a virtual OS image with old firmware files cached in DJI Assistant to do downgrades after DJI locked downgrading. Those were happy days! If I remember correctly this spread like wildfire and DJI was pretty pissed about it. Bribed the guy with a brand new Mavic Pro to take down the files....he did. Then the modding games began with the DJI drones with very, VERY talented people whom I still associate with today. Some of them I get to work with on Drone-Hacks. Great people who fly drones, just like we all do.

Reactions: Nauty and Tufargon
I remember way back in the Mavic Pro days when someone figured out how to use a virtual OS image with old firmware files cached in DJI Assistant to do downgrades after DJI locked downgrading. Those were happy days! If I remember correctly this spread like wildfire and DJI was pretty pissed about it. Bribed the guy with a brand new Mavic Pro to take down the files....he did. Then the modding games began with the DJI drones with very, VERY talented people whom I still associate with today. Some of them I get to work with on Drone-Hacks. Great people who fly drones, just like we all do.
It obviously didn't matter at that point because other people knew. Why not take it.
Awesome. Reminds me of my FTA days. Very glad to see this stuff coming to Autel even though I don't own one anymore lol.

• Sad
Reactions: Ansia
No need for sad face Ansia. What I am saying is that once the hack was found and people knew about it, it didn't matter if the guy took the drone because he couldn't stop other people from keeping doing it so why not take the drone. Other people will keep up what he started. Spreads like wild fire and you can't stop it at that point. It was an ethical hack. No harm done, so good.

Reactions: Quad808
This is because your file from DH is either not present OR you named it a .txt file. Your drone never went through the upgrade process...it only checked firmware.

The Drone-Hacks file is the key. It is not a .zip file or a .txt file because there is no extension to it like .zip, or .txt or .jpg.
EVO IView attachment 8368View attachment 8369
EVO II
This helped! I only put the bin file on the SD Card(not both bin and force upgrade file) When I first attempted to do...and it failed. I'm happy to report it successfully downgraded from 2.5 to 2.3.3. Time permitting tomorrow, I will test...

Thanks! @Quad808

No need for sad face Ansia. What I am saying is that once the hack was found and people knew about it, it didn't matter if the guy took the drone because he couldn't stop other people from keeping doing it so why not take the drone. Other people will keep up what he started. Spreads like wild fire and you can't stop it at that point. It was an ethical hack. No harm done, so good.
Sad fase is because you don't own an Autel drone anymore. Lucky for you, Autel has a Trade-In program, where they will give you cents to the dollar for that Mavic Air of yours. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg