Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Are you the drone "expert" in your circle? What do you do when asked for your drone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbok

Reaction score
With Facebook, Twitter, etc. I find that I end up being the one connection between people I know and people I don't know for a lot of things. I am the "drone guy", the "home automation guy", the "arcade collection guy", etc.

I am always more than willing to do favors for my friends (that's what friends are for right), including going out and shooting pics/video for people if they need it for something. When I go out on these favors I'll let people take the sticks and fly my birds, get a feel for them, see if they want to get into the hobby. However, here's where it gets a little dicey. I'm apprehensive about letting someone (with no drone experience) borrow a drone and use for a couple of days. It's not that I don't trust them, it's just that it is something that is easily breakable and it's up to a thousand dollar gamble. Depending on the person I might let them borrow one, but I would feel squeemish about it.

Here's where it gets a little more questionable. In one of my circles someone I don't know asked if there were any drone people in the area that would let him borrow a drone for a week. They would take care of it and not crash it (who would plan to?). One of my friends pointed me out as the go to drone guy. If it was my friend that had asked me for himself I might let it go, but I kind of doubt it. Someone I don't know? I think that is too big an ask. If the shoe was on the other foot (I was the one asking to borrow) I might see it differently.

Am I being unreasonable here? I'd be happy (maybe not happy, but willing) to spend a few hours with this guy and let him fly the majority of the time, but just last week with my Evo I had a disconnect that likely could have caused a crash with someone that didn't have experience flying and would panic.

Just asking for a sanity check here. My drones aren't my business, but they are my investment. I'd sooner let someone borrow a car (higher price point, but far lower chance of accident) than a drone, especially since there could be potential liability.

Reactions: Cyberjunkie
With Facebook, Twitter, etc. I find that I end up being the one connection between people I know and people I don't know for a lot of things. I am the "drone guy", the "home automation guy", the "arcade collection guy", etc.

I am always more than willing to do favors for my friends (that's what friends are for right), including going out and shooting pics/video for people if they need it for something. When I go out on these favors I'll let people take the sticks and fly my birds, get a feel for them, see if they want to get into the hobby. However, here's where it gets a little dicey. I'm apprehensive about letting someone (with no drone experience) borrow a drone and use for a couple of days. It's not that I don't trust them, it's just that it is something that is easily breakable and it's up to a thousand dollar gamble. Depending on the person I might let them borrow one, but I would feel squeemish about it.

Here's where it gets a little more questionable. In one of my circles someone I don't know asked if there were any drone people in the area that would let him borrow a drone for a week. They would take care of it and not crash it (who would plan to?). One of my friends pointed me out as the go to drone guy. If it was my friend that had asked me for himself I might let it go, but I kind of doubt it. Someone I don't know? I think that is too big an ask. If the shoe was on the other foot (I was the one asking to borrow) I might see it differently.

Am I being unreasonable here? I'd be happy (maybe not happy, but willing) to spend a few hours with this guy and let him fly the majority of the time, but just last week with my Evo I had a disconnect that likely could have caused a crash with someone that didn't have experience flying and would panic.

Just asking for a sanity check here. My drones aren't my business, but they are my investment. I'd sooner let someone borrow a car (higher price point, but far lower chance of accident) than a drone, especially since there could be potential liability.
That is easy, just take $1k deposit and have a shot at it for a week.

• Haha
Reactions: tdhart and Ansia
I agree with Orange Crush !
Would you let "Anybody" Borrow your wife????

Bwahahahahaha!
I have some kids you can borrow, maybe keep!! No givebacks!!!

No one borrows my stuff. Especially my expensive stuff. If asked, I would take them out to the field and let them fly with my supervision, but just borrow for a couple of days? No way.

Reactions: Nightbat2
I get paranoid when people borrow my tools, but when it comes to my drones, I would have to say NO!

As with others above, loaning is a bad mix, will often damage friendships in the end.

On a different angle, I state the drones are FAA registered and fall under various rules, particularly if a PT107. Allowing a person not registered to aircraft to pilot without the owner/pilot is in violation of FFA.

Reminding them it's not a toy and registered FFA aircraft, mandates responsibility on your part.

Sanity Check = Sane.

$1000 bux doesn't come easy enough for me to justify the risk. You did the right thing. I'd never lend my drone out unless I knew the person well enough to know that if they crashed it they would bring it back with $1000 dollars in-hand. Full disclosure: I don't know anyone that well. And if $1000 came that easily to them, they could just buy their own.

Sanity Check = Sane.

$1000 bux doesn't come easy enough for me to justify the risk. You did the right thing. I'd never lend my drone out unless I knew the person well enough to know that if they crashed it they would bring it back with $1000 dollars in-hand. Full disclosure: I don't know anyone that well. And if $1000 came that easily to them, they could just buy their own.
This is why you own a $100 drone. When they ask for a drone, you give them that with the replacement disclaimer.

Reactions: tdhart
This is why you own a $100 drone. When they ask for a drone, you give them that with the replacement disclaimer.
Haha, yeah, loan them the Eachine E58 and they will crash it for sure, but it was only 40ish. :)

Haha, yeah, loan them the Eachine E58 and they will crash it for sure, but it was only 40ish. :)
I own a Tello. That little bird is extremely stable up to 98 feet. Almost the same as flying the Evo.

Another thought on the legal concerns besides the FFA registration & PIC responsibilities.
The so-called $1000 deposit is assuming the concern is a damaged aircraft.
Not knowing where the aircraft is going, if he choses to hover over an Interstate, large crowd (kids game) or anything illegal and gets spotted by LEO... or loses control and hits a car on the road, or an individual in a park... either action may result in a legal file suit. The "Owner" of the aircraft regardless if you're present could be held responsible per FAA regulations of Ownership of the aircraft. That could cost you a lot more than the value of an EVO just in legal activities. Keep in mind, it's not like loaning a $1000 camera, it's an FAA sUAV in the eyes of the legal system, and worse after February 2019 if it's not properly marked.

First of all, we can all agree you are THE nice guy in your circle. Nothing wrong with that of course. But, "being nice" just needs to be done with caution and discerning on your part. Yes, this suggestion may sound like contrary, but you have to be responsible for your property.

When your property is in someone else's hand, you decide if the person would be a right fit to take your property from you so they can 'test' it out... in a case, for an example, when they ask to borrow a pen, paper, hair brush, old shirt and towels, etc., you can bet this act to borrow from you and lending would not be at all risky...

On the other end of the spectrum, when you are asked of your car, money, computer, toilet paper, boxers/underwear, toothbrush, wife, kids, house, etc., you simply need to turn them away despite of who it is... lol! I would say any of these would just be highly risky if something were to go wrong...

In the case where someone asks you for your drone, how much does, say, $1,300 mean to you (if that's how much you spent on your Evo)? And, to someone's point earlier, if the drone crashes with your ID all over it, who would ultimately be responsible for damages? I'd say, for this, would fall more on the 'risk side' as your house, car, wife, kids, etc...

Short version: Don't let anyone touch your ****... It's your ****!!! You decide!!!

LOL!

Last edited:
Tell them to use google. There are ton of companies in the US of A that rent or lease UAV,s to anyone with the cash in hand. People rent them all the time. Not everyone can afford the bigger better UAV,s. If a freind wants to borrow your drone and you are good with it he should carry your registration document with him to prove the UAV is registered.

Tell them to use google. There are ton of companies in the US of A that rent or lease UAV,s to anyone with the cash in hand. People rent them all the time. Not everyone can afford the bigger better UAV,s. If a freind wants to borrow your drone and you are good with it he should carry your registration document with him to prove the UAV is registered.
Not entirely accurate, the companies that rent sUAV have contracts and legal liability documents assuming and transfering liabilty and accepting responsibility. Plus, I'm pretty confident the rental shops, at least the larger commercial shops require proof of PT107 to rent in USA. Just having your FAA reg number doesn't assume liabilty without contractual agreements... similar to renting a car, registration of being licensed doesn't pass liability.

LOL... but as all have stated... simple answer is no to borrow your EVO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials