Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Are You Sure You Know the FAA Rules To Fly Under Recreation??? Check out this video

in case anyone missed it, the /s switch at the end of my post denotes sarcasm and multiple switches indicate the amount of sarcasm I intended with post with. I was just having fun....no pun intended. lol

there are thousands of hobbies and no other hobby has this issue...think about it.

A very good break down on how the FAA looks at the rules. Not how you might think they work but how they actually work and why the Philly guy got zapped with over $180 thousand in fines. Best explanation I have seen to date and a few that surprised me.

Thanks a lot for posting this. Very informative. I notice some replies here that are pretty off point and some are outright rediculous.. Maybe they haven't had their coffee?

Thanks a lot for posting this. Very informative. I notice some replies here that are pretty off point and some are outright rediculous.. Maybe they haven't had their coffee?
Ridiculous or not using the word "fun" in a law is idiotic. I have fun building homes here in Fl. Really do.
I make money at it too. I guess I can use my drone in my jobs without 107.

You fly the drone and are in danger of dropping it in the drink for some reason or another. Your face shows you're not having fun anymore. Are you breaking the law?

In another instance who can say they have their drone in sight 100% of the time?
Even if momentarily the view is blocked by a tree ,house or other obstacle you're breaking the law.

The law is the law but most of the time it needs common sense to interpret it.
If you do 61MPH in a 60 MPH speed limit nobody is going to give you a ticket.

But of course these instructors are "teaching" you what a flight for fun is or is not.
If you're a recreational user like me enjoy your drone and just think safety, either you have fun or not ( and even if you have a miserable day smile in youtube to show you're having fun, lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli
Ridiculous or not using the word "fun" in a law is idiotic. I have fun building homes here in Fl. Really do.
I make money at it too. I guess I can use my drone in my jobs without 107.

You fly the drone and are in danger of dropping it in the drink for some reason or another. Your face shows you're not having fun anymore. Are you breaking the law?

In another instance who can say they have their drone in sight 100% of the time?
Even if momentarily the view is blocked by a tree ,house or other obstacle you're breaking the law.

The law is the law but most of the time it needs common sense to interpret it.
If you do 61MPH in a 60 MPH speed limit nobody is going to give you a ticket.

But of course these instructors are "teaching" you what a flight for fun is or is not.
If you're a recreational user like me enjoy your drone and just think safety, either you have fun or not ( and even if you have a miserable day smile in youtube to show you're having fun, lol)
Good points. I was watching the video to learn how the faa reacts and why. There def needs to be a better definition of 'recreational pilot'. My take away was if you fly irresponsibly and it becomes a habit, as the person in Philly, then the pilot deserves to get busted. There are many vids that show bad (illegal) flights. If it's dangerous to manned flights and/or property damage then that should be addressed. My original objection was a reaction to the cdl comparison. Interestingly enough, my actual complaint about this thread, neither pt107 nor cdl guide lines emphasize 'money for services' afaik.

I wasn't going to watch the video, but good discussions so far and I didn't want to give my 2 cents(for whatever anyone feels that is worth...LOL) before watching.

My take away.
Intent of flight. Is it for "fun" or for some other purpose. Lets use "funzies", much more "fun" language.
My interpretation, (because there is lots of interpretation by using the "fun" word)
Example... No pt107 license holder, flies for "fun" every flight, even though the look of "fun" on the pilots face may turn into worry and concern, if not fear....hahahahaha....(we all know this has happened to all of us)
Neighbor asks the pilot, "hey, I saw you flying over my house the other day....can I look at your footage to check my roof?"
Perfectly legal....your "intent" of that flight was for "fun" You let him see the footage. He fixes his roof.
Same neighbor comes to you and says...."hey, can you fly over my roof so I can look at the footage and inspect my roof?"
You say...yes, on your next flight for "fun", you will hover over his roof to practice your hover skills, and slowly move the drone to practice your cinematic skills, and then continue on with your "fun" flight. You will let him see your "fun" flight, so he can have "fun" looking at it. Legal. Why? Your intent was to fly for "fun", and practice your skills at the same time, like we do with all flights. Now you may disagree with this, and maybe the FAA will too, but in this case you stated your intention of the flight was for "fun" and to practice your flying skills at the same time. Splitting hairs? You betcha. Thats what you get with using the word "fun".
However, you do the same flight, and your "intent" is to help your neighbor inspect his roof. Not legal. You need pt107. Your intent was not for "fun". Even if you had "fun"

Murky at best, and maybe not the best examples. Murky is good, in my opinion. In my dealing with the FAA, (I have relatives who are very high up in the FAA) when I called the local FAA inspector to ask some general questions on flying at a particular park location, they were extremely helpful, and WANTED me to fly and enjoy the hobby, while at the same time, told me what the rules are for this area (airport landing path, but right on the far edge of it), asked how high I intend to fly, and that it is MY responsibility to avoid any aircraft in the same air space. Very cool guy.

Just my opinion from watching the instructor in the video. I could be wrong and the FAA could try and guess my "intent" for every flight. I think the interpretation of "intent for funzies" would vary from person to person. Murky. Trying to guess all of this is not "fun", so just fly safe, follow the flying rules for your area, and declare all your flights are for "fun" and you should be fine...maybe, unless you get an FAA inspector who views your footage and is NOT a "fun" person and you get fined. That would not be "fun". But maybe you are a constitution kind of guy and getting a fine is "fun" for you....Murky. I fly every flight for "fun".

Reactions: Peter Goldwing
Heres what it all boils down to. The FAA does not want Rec pilots in the air period. They want you all to fly at AMA flying fields. Remote ID is part of their solution. Reason they want all you guys out of the sky is because of all those big guys like Amazon, Google and everyone else that has big money to lobby the government for more of the NAS. These big boys don't want you anywhere they need to fly. You might say there is room for everyone. Wrong, simplest way to clear the way for them is to get rid of the rec flyers. Why are drone manufactures turning out more enterprise units then rec units because they know thats where the money is.
There was a big push a year or so ago to get everyone on board ( rec & part 107) to make sure they were not pushed out the door but I'm afraid this is what has happened. Make it so difficult for them to fly and they will all go home is the governments thought.

@Agustine 110% agree with you. Currently in US, 400' limit for "funziez" flights, soon it will be 300', then 200', then 100'...once the "big boys" take to the air in mass, they will complain that too many "regular folks" are flying and causing trouble for their "commercial" work.

Heres what it all boils down to. The FAA does not want Rec pilots in the air period. They want you all to fly at AMA flying fields. Remote ID is part of their solution. Reason they want all you guys out of the sky is because of all those big guys like Amazon, Google and everyone else that has big money to lobby the government for more of the NAS. These big boys don't want you anywhere they need to fly. You might say there is room for everyone. Wrong, simplest way to clear the way for them is to get rid of the rec flyers. Why are drone manufactures turning out more enterprise units then rec units because they know thats where the money is.
There was a big push a year or so ago to get everyone on board ( rec & part 107) to make sure they were not pushed out the door but I'm afraid this is what has happened. Make it so difficult for them to fly and they will all go home is the governments thought.
I would agree, within the Remote ID were assigned (minimal number) Rec Fly zones that were going to pretty much be the extent for the Rec flyer. They also recently extended the authority to cite sUAV Pilots to LEO and even various Officers: Park Rangers, etc.

Once Rec Flying is sanctioned to only established flying zones... the ability to spot, control, and enforce becomes easier. If LEO is driving down a neighborhood street or county 2 lane and spots a drone, he knows it's a high probability it's an illegal flight... even your back yard. So his incentive to stop and citation is increased and their shop increases revenue because they receive a portion of the citation fees.

The casual Rec flyer may ignore now the FAA rules, but will be harder once the local LEO'S are part of the equation too.

Regarding the sky for Big Boys only I don't see as constrained. They eventually reconized the role PT107 small shops performed: surveys, development work, movies, advertisement production, highway development, security, inspections, SAR, Ag, etc. All tasks are needed in today's society and paying taxes so allowance and concessions will be made for sUAV smaller businesses... but that will probably require proof of actual business to operate under PT107 or what ever they categorize a small sUAV business at that time.

The PT107 open environment we exist in now will most likely become harder to obtain, additional costs, and certainly not a easy to obtain permit to just fly and enjoy open ground. New requirements to log flights and reports that sync with business operations will probably be required to continue operating.

The end point, the FAA isn't going to become more relaxed... it'll become more challenging. The more abuse of the FAA Rules now a days will eventually have a negative impact causing more enforcement, likely making them take notice and reduce the abuse of the NAS. So the casual perception and misuse of drones isn't helping the sUAV society as a whole.

They are selling more enterprise class now, partly due to the prosumer class being shifted over to enterprise category. They're still selling massive numbers of consumer class, the enterprise class has increased substantially.

Knowing and operating correctly under PT107 in current time helps reduce the increased threat of losing the opportunity to enjoy sUAV's. If the abuse in the NAS is minimal, the attention to increase enforcement and add new regulations is also minimized.

Someone above stated Recreational flying needs to be more defined. It actually is well defined by needing to meet all 8 criteria and agreeable by not just your opinion but by the FAA's perspective. Operating within regulations helps us all, abusing hurts us all, not just yourself. Testing how far you can fly BVLS, how high you can climb, flying over sports structures or people isn't helping to take the attention off or improve publics perception.

Going full circle of thread, that was the intent of the video; to make pilots more aware and help their cause in the end. As he stared a few times, he didn't make the rules, just attempting to explain them.

And he would love FAA to do away with recreational flying
More business for him.

I don't like these bozos who pop up all over the internet explaining to you , why you should go get a pilots license just to make a youtube movie
Probably there are a few in Washington right now convincing someone, who will get a free trip to Cayman Islands, how dangerous the recreational flyer is.

A very good break down on how the FAA looks at the rules. Not how you might think they work but how they actually work and why the Philly guy got zapped with over $180 thousand in fines. Best explanation I have seen to date and a few that surprised me.

The simple answer to the question. You can be sure to know if you follow the rules for recreational pilot AND do NOT deviate from them. If you must deviate mid flight for any reason, such as flying near or over a tower or building and you exceed the 400' AGL limit, then you are flying as 107 cert pilot and have broken the rule/law if lack certification.

The simple answer to the question. You can be sure to know if you follow the rules for recreational pilot AND do NOT deviate from them. If you must deviate mid flight for any reason, such as flying near or over a tower or building and you exceed the 400' AGL limit, then you are flying as 107 cert pilot and have broken the rule/law if lack certification.
so why can't there be a law that says:

fly as a recreational pilot, you must not exceed 400' AGL. if you do, you will be punished:
a.exceeding recreational pilot limits; recreational fine category = US$150

why does it have to be:
fly as a recreational pilot, you must not exceed 400' AGL. if you do, you will be punished:
b.flying without a part 107, illegal flight over limits without authorization; fine (for everybody) = US$150,000

we all know why the answer is this way. the goal is to turn ALL drone flights into 107 and commercial and if you want to fly for fun or recreationally, you do so at your own risk. this is going to backfire.

so why can't there be a law that says:

a.exceeding recreational pilot limits; recreational fine category = US$150

why does it have to be:
b.flying without a part 107, illegal flight over limits without authorization; fine (for everybody) = US$150,000

we all know why the answer is this way. the goal is to turn ALL drone flights into 107 and commercial and if you want to fly for fun or recreationally, you do so at your own risk. this is going to backfire.

If you do not like it then call your local government to make changes. The law is the law till it is changed. Sorry if you do not agree.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
If you do not like it then call your local government to make changes. The law is the law till it is changed. Sorry if you do not agree.
do you agree with it?

yes, we are working to change this. it would be helpful if everyone would help out. it doesn't help when recreational pilots are left out on their own without support from the larger community because we are the ones most impacted. it's almost as if you're saying we have a license and are not impacted the same way you are so we don't care as much. why does it seem to be that way? can't we all just work as a team? :)

yes the rules are the rules but my local government will never enforce them; I'm not worried about that. I live in a free state and it doesn't matter much what the federal government believes are the laws, if the state and local don't like it we know how to handle it. still, it would be nice for the largest segment of the drone community to have some say in the matter.

My experience with the AMA has shown they could give a rip about drone pilots, and drone flights in general. The AMA is mostly fixed wing pilots, that need a field to take off from. We don't. They don't like it. Just my opinion.

Back from 2 weeks no internet no cell, was great, flew 8 times. This bird is amazing
For me, if you're a pilot, you're a pilot, regardless, I accept limitations based on skill/knowledge but fun/no-fun, that sounds like my Uncle at it's best

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy