Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Are You Sure You Know the FAA Rules To Fly Under Recreation??? Check out this video

I viewed that awhile back, he’s a great presenter.
He had a little different angle of explanation... great video.
All his videos... and class work are top notch!

Lost my interest quickly.
FAA does not have enough personnel to track all the youtubers.
1) if you're caught speeding by a camera you're just given a ticket because your car was speeding. They dont know who the driver was so you wont get points
2) say I appear in a youtube flying my drone on Kennedy runways. How can they prove the filming was real and not just a made up video.
3) Some of the filming could have been done with a toy drone under 250 Gr which does not even require registration.
4) Say I dont even own a drone or fly one and I post other guy's video, do I get a ticket?
5) was the flight in US or outside the country, how can they prove it and the cost of it?
6) if I show a selfie without the seat belt on are the cops going to knock on my doors?
7) who is Peter Goldwing, cause certainly it is not my real name?
And many other questions.
It is the equivalent of someone throwing a few popcorn to some birds and getting a ticket for feeding wild life.( probably more likely of getting a ticket than you flying a drone out of VLOS)

In my opinion in the event you are ever contacted refuse to offer any info.
This is not your passport to do stupid things as flying over a crowd or near an airport or at high altitudes

These guys are just an advertising for their school.
Who says ,if you post it in youtube is not for fun? If you dont receive any reimbursement for it IT IS FOR FUN.
Can I look at my own roof to see if it is sound or do I need part 107 for that.
Grow up . This is not Russia. Big brother has more important things to watch for.
Just my opinion, yours my differ.

1) if you're caught speeding by a camera you're just given a ticket because your car was speeding. They dont know who the driver was so you wont get points
2) say I appear in a youtube flying my drone on Kennedy runways. How can they prove the filming was real and not just a made up video.
3) Some of the filming could have been done with a toy drone under 250 Gr which does not even require registration.
4) Say I dont even own a drone or fly one and I post other guy's video, do I get a ticket?
5) was the flight in US or outside the country, how can they prove it and the cost of it?
6) if I show a selfie without the seat belt on are the cops going to knock on my doors?
It is the equivalent of someone throwing a few popcorn to some birds and getting a ticket for feeding wild life.( probably more likely of getting a ticket than you flying a drone out of VLOS)

This is not your passport to do stupid things as flying over a crowd or near an airport or at high altitudes

Who says ,if you post it in youtube is not for fun? If you dont receive any reimbursement for it IT IS FOR FUN.
Grow up . This is not Russia. Big brother has more important things to watch for.
my quick reply BEFORE I watch the video; I'm with you on most of it but not all of it:

You said:
Q:Who says ,if you post it in youtube is not for fun? If you dont receive any reimbursement for it IT IS FOR FUN.
A.You absolutely can post videos of your recreational/fun flights on YouTube. Whether you are flying for fun is your intent or not, it's not based on "money" or "reimbursement." It's based on what you intended when you launched your drone. Hopefully we don't get caught up in the monetary aspect of drone flying (instead of "in furtherance of a business") because if we do, we're going to be screwed. A recreational flight launched in January is not converted into a commercial flight next summer just because someone decided to send you a dollar. Please someone show me the "conversion" clause in the faa drone language.

Q:Can I look at my own roof to see if it is sound or do I need part 107 for that.
A:Flying a drone to look at your roof and determine if it is sound or not is not what I would call "flying for fun." You need part 107. If you are flying around the neighborhood for fun and you come home and review the video and you see something lodged in your neighbor's roof and you tell him about it and you send your drone back up to take a closer look (for him), technically that's part 107 for the 2nd flight. Doesn't matter if I agree with it or not, those are the "rules." Personally I think the industry has too many rules but then again, I believe the enforcement is about right if not a little bit heavy on the $$fines$$.

now I'm off to watch the video.

Everyone has their opinion, no doubt...
You may have wanted to maintain "interest" a bit longer, several of your points would have been clarified.
This video didn't advertise their training center, and it wasn't attacking the Youtuber in violation.

The "focus" was to help Pilots determine flight class: PT107 or Recreational. Several good points, and contrary to many under the assumption a PT107 flight equated to money or some form of gain, which is incorrect. In detail it was explained how ALL Flights by default are under PT107 regulations, and unless 8 criteria are met to qualify as Recreational any flight defaults to PT107.... per FAA regulations; it's not how most assume the opposite: default Recreational and needing to qualify as PT107... that assumption is legally false.

You mention a Mini under weight of 250 Gr and you're correct it's not required to register, but that doesn't dismiss flight behavior or responsibility, & FAA rules... all these continue regardless to weight or registration, as well as Pilot responsibility to adhere.

Your question of "Proof" to associate the Pilot to the violation is actually in-sync to the video... he spent much time on that same subject. The task of the FAA to prove: Ownership, Craft, Date and Location is their biggest challenge and why the majority of YouTubers won't experience an FAA violation. Although in this situation, the Individual was "live streaming" and presenting himself in image & vocal. Thus providing accurate Date, Location, and later easily associated to Owner & Craft via logs & visual confirmation of person.

The majority of your opinions of dispute were touched on and covered. A few correcting as false expressions.
This YouTuber didn't experience a minor fine similar to seat belt or camera trap. He received a substantial fine, then elected to ignore the multiple attempts of the FAA to contact which in turn multiplied the fines to an extremely high amount of $180K. It's highly probably his fines may have been substantially lower if he had worked with the FAA.

The video was a bit long, but it held several bits of information that practically all sUAV Pilots may not have correctly understood. We learn the rules & common sense... riding cycles, requires a skill set, learning rules and applying common sense. Similar is applied to practically everything, and responsibility of self is on top.

Leaving that there because it's relevant in some possible aspects, depending on how you look at it. It's a story that goes back a ways for a man that was just "doing" for the heck of it. Really, he was just doing this as a hobby. That got him into trouble by a long standing, very strong, legally backed community.
Interesting story, and glad he had a positive outcome. Although that's a different scenario, legal parameters, and interaction... not applicable to the sUAV PT107 / Recreation clarification.

The price of general education relative to the rules governing airspace is free for anyone that wants to review the documentation via the FAA website. That most are to lazy to go there and spend some time reading the stuff is the real problem. Similar applies to the limits of private land owner airspace rights. We can Google that all day long. But again, people are too lazy to do their own research or don’t really care enough to do it. Instead they look for a single post in a social media blog to explain all the intricacies of an extremely complex system through a single sentence.
The fact that people cannot spend 30 minutes to learn from a Certified Flight Instructor, Commercial Pilot and Remote Pilot just goes to show why this hobby is in trouble. :(

Reactions: Dougcjohn
The price of general education relative to the rules governing airspace is free for anyone that wants to review the documentation via the FAA website. That most are to lazy to go there and spend some time reading the stuff is the real problem. Similar applies to the limits of private land owner airspace rights. We can Google that all day long. But again, people are too lazy to do their own research or don’t really care enough to do it. Instead they look for a single post in a social media blog to explain all the intricacies of an extremely complex system through a single sentence.
The fact that people cannot spend 30 minutes to learn from a Certified Flight Instructor, Commercial Pilot and Remote Pilot just goes to show why this hobby is in trouble. :(

I enjoyed the video and thanks for posting it but he does really botches it by stating that there are 8 conditions for exemptions from part 107, continually, but does state that the rec license isn't applicable, yet finishes again stating there are 8 conditions. Outside of that, it's rather informative for those that fall into the exception.

I'd go on a limb and say the hobby and small industry pilots is in trouble no matter due to the push for mass commercial drone use.

Interesting story, and glad he had a positive outcome. Although that's a different scenario, legal parameters, and interaction... not applicable to the sUAV PT107 / Recreation clarification.

It is not, directly, applicable to part 107 but it is applicable to people that find themselves at the end of the barrel of a governmental institution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Goldwing
It is not, directly, applicable to part 107 but it is applicable to people that find themselves at the end of the barrel of a governmental institution.
No that's incorrect... one found himself at the "end of the barrel" of Govt, the other violated law and ignored any opportunity to work with the Govt Institute.

It may be accurate in that a govt institution was involved... that's where they end with any similarity. His story is different in multiple ways... he performed an activity the govt took offense that was challenged and proven poorly defined and that infringed his citizen fundamental rights that another Govt Instute, the Judiciary system reconized in his favor. More of a challenge of "rights" to exhibit and speak... and proper court challenge pursued and won.

In this case the govt didn't take wrong action, they responded to improper & illegal action that was documented improper action in multiple instances. Then the FAA gave the individual ample time to respond and an opportunity to avoid or reduce fines. He elected to ignore not once but multiple times causing his fines to multiply. If you recall, the other situation, he paid his fines while pursuing a legal defense, he didn't ignore the legal system, he worked within the legal system.

This wasn't a case of challenging the legal system if he had rights to perform... that's within our rights and encouraged. Rather this situation was a violation of law that wasn't in dispute... it was a violation. He didn't challenge the offenses, he recognized most likely it was in violation of FAA and choose to ignore any opportunity to respond when offered... a violation that wasn't disputed as a "rights" challenge. It was a violation of FAA law.

One was a challenge to a law without merit and challengable in Court. The other was breaking the law that was well defined, well documented and the responsiblilty to know the law by the sUAV operator and not challengable.

Through the lenience of the Govt Agency (FAA) he was presented the opportunity to avoid or reduce legal action... that he choose to ignore. Giving the FAA no option other than proceed with charges and fines.

There are thousands of different situations involving law, and these different situations all involve an individual or entity and the legal system. To group a trespassing charge and armed robbery into similar situations isn't the same... same as these two are not the same.

His rights weren't being challenged, he broke the law and took a chance he wouldn't get caught. Then continued to make it worse by defying the law and opportunity to work with the FAA agents.

I don't agree with the fines imposed, in my opinion way to much, but they weren't excessive due to his action of violation, rather refusal to cease and ignoring the violations.

But I do agree that flying an sUAV requires the Pilot to have an understanding of the FAA rules... we need to have rules in a society and in aviation to prevent problems and maintain order. The FAA rarely takes action in these matters without first providing the opportunity to recognize and cease violations.

Ignorance of the law isn't a challenge of one's rights and isn't a justified defense. You accept that responsibility when you choose to fly an aircraft; it's your responsibility to operate within that law. If you disagree, then challenge them in Court and work to have them modified. In the interim, operate within the law.

Not saying I agree with all the FAA rules & regulations, although I recognize the need for aviation rules. Just as I reconize the rights of being a citizen. They're clearly not the same.

In fewer words one guy in one example broke the law not knowing he was, fought against it, won and now his work is being used to actually change yellow light timing and another guy in another example broke the law possibly not knowing full well, ignored all communication after being informed, but he does have avenues to work within the legal system for his favor.

Pretty much the right and wrong way to handle things when dealing with a situation when working with government institutions but there are lessons to be learned that carry over into examples. Law and rule is not infallible. Yet, this is evidently incorrect so I'll just leave it at that. Have fun and safe flying.

In fewer words one guy in one example broke the law not knowing he was, fought against it, won and now his work is being used to actually change yellow light timing and another guy in another example broke the law possibly not knowing full well, ignored all communication after being informed, but he does have avenues to work within the legal system for his favor.

Pretty much the right and wrong way to handle things when dealing with a situation when working with government institutions but there are lessons to be learned that carry over into examples. Law and rule is not infallible. Yet, this is evidently incorrect so I'll just leave it at that. Have fun and safe flying.
Due the response, I'd agree not worth a response. Happy we have the FAA and guidelines... let's operate within them.
Enjoy!

if you drive your corvette (on a regular drivers license) to the grocery store to pickup milk and eggs and you return home and post the video of your drive on YouTube and for all your friends to see your new car and YouTube puts an ad on your video and sends you a check for $1, as soon as the state police see that video they should call you and demand to see your CDL because obviously you are using your corvette to make money and you need a commercial license. the driving community should put up with that sort of nonsense because the government says so. and the cdl trucking community will love it and support it and remind all drivers to follow the rules and cease doing business with their cars and only operate your car on the road for fun. btw, no driving more than 50 miles at a time and no driving over 45 mph otherwise you're conducting business and you need a cdl for that. the fine will be $150,000 and they will confiscate your corvette for the first infraction for doing business with your car without a CDL. all vehicles, cars, trucks, motorcycles, and vans traveling on the road are commercially-regulated vehicles unless you meet every single one of the top 20 rules.
/s /s /s /s /s

Apparently the scope is lost... getting nonsensical. Beyond rational discussion.
Point was a video to help sUAV Pilots understand the FAA rules for your own benefit & responsibility.

The FAA didn't create the illegal situation, the irresponsible Pilot did and created his own escalation.
Take any attitude or justification you desire, if stung, all the irrational responses won't change anything.
If you disagree, then work to change the regulations... or understand how to operate within the regulations or eventually may pay the consequences.

Happy Flying!

The whole thing is like splitting hair.
Do you know that in most states (if not in all) you need your truck to be registered commercially if you do business with it,
Well if a cop stops you and sees inside a ladder and a few tools he might ticket you for not being registered as commercial.
You help your neighbor transport a table in your SUV because he helped you paint your house. Is that commercial?
you change your roofing and have a few ladders in your van. Is that commercial?

These guys are not your friends. They are lobbying to make all flights commercial.They want to make money out of it
The insurance loves it.

I would remove for fun and replace it with " not for profit"

When I received my electrical license that was it: you got yourself a business permit and work.
Than a few years later they came up with 8 hrs of educational courses you needed every 3 years to renew your license.
That became 20 and later 40. You know who was pushing for it? The instructors teaching those classes and making lots of money.

It will come a day that you will be required to attend a few courses to update your 107.
The insurers will do what they do best: raise prices

Oh, and if you have a garage sales dont forget t pay taxes on your income.

I dont care who says what. I dont need part 107, I will look at neighbors roof and if he offers me a beer because of it I will take it;
No Russia here yet

PS The fine was " a proposed fine" not an actual one. I would like to see the real numbers. Most likely he wont pay anything

Last edited:
Reactions: Drgnfli
if you drive your corvette (on a regular drivers license) to the grocery store to pickup milk and eggs and you return home and post the video of your drive on YouTube and for all your friends to see your new car and YouTube puts an ad on your video and sends you a check for $1, as soon as the state police see that video they should call you and demand to see your CDL because obviously you are using your corvette to make money and you need a commercial license. the driving community should put up with that sort of nonsense because the government says so. and the cdl trucking community will love it and support it and remind all drivers to follow the rules and cease doing business with their cars and only operate your car on the road for fun. btw, no driving more than 50 miles at a time and no driving over 45 mph otherwise you're conducting business and you need a cdl for that. the fine will be $150,000 and they will confiscate your corvette for the first infraction for doing business with your car without a CDL. all vehicles, cars, trucks, motorcycles, and vans traveling on the road are commercially-regulated vehicles unless you meet every single one of the top 20 rules.
/s /s /s /s /s
Sorry I didnt read this before my posting. We pretty much think alike

Leaving that there because it's relevant in some possible aspects, depending on how you look at it. It's a story that goes back a ways for a man that was just "doing" for the heck of it. Really, he was just doing this as a hobby. That got him into trouble by a long standing, very strong, legally backed community.
Good point. " your to dumb to make your opinion public"

The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly
Abraham Lincoln

Yeh I hope to see them going after youtubers and prove they didn't have fun filming themselves or friends surfing at the beach.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller