Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Anyone use a Garmin watch?

PoorMoney

Reaction score
Been debating about getting a Garmin Fenix 5x. But then, I don't want to waste my money. The question is, Why do I want one? Well, I work in the woods and then I fight wildfires for my job and many times I am on the side of a mountain.

I figured a Garmin watch will be beneficial for GPS and maps/topo...but then I think...well I have a smartphone for that BUT it isn't strapped to my wrist for convenience.

I figured the fitness tracking would be good as well because I need to loose some of this lard on my belly.

Anyone use one or have any opinions?

I’ve had the Fenix 3 and 5. Both were great and so still use them for versions events. I’ve an Apple iWatch 5 titanium that is my daily wearable. Again it does great things as well.

for garmin i chose the sapphire version as it’s more rugged. I’ve done several endurance bike rides and triathlons. It’s stood the test of time, and is a TANK. Often, phones do NOT get receptions and therefore gps failures occur. The Fenix with glonass turned on has been a savior. The “breadcrumb” option in mapping during tracking is great to have in a thick wooded area.

iWatch - is NEVER use this for a triathlon and probably not an endurance ride, it’s fragile.

I’ve had regret on my first Fenix... soon after, the 5 came out. I fell for the purchase of the 5 because it’s the newest version. Then there is talk on the 6 coming out.
Get a garmin, they are work horses.

Reactions: PoorMoney
I WAS debating about a 6X sapphire, but that thing cost some money! I could get a 5x sapphire for around $319

I’ve had the Fenix 3 and 5. Both were great and so still use them for versions events. I’ve an Apple iWatch 5 titanium that is my daily wearable. Again it does great things as well.

for garmin i chose the sapphire version as it’s more rugged. I’ve done several endurance bike rides and triathlons. It’s stood the test of time, and is a TANK. Often, phones do NOT get receptions and therefore gps failures occur. The Fenix with glonass turned on has been a savior. The “breadcrumb” option in mapping during tracking is great to have in a thick wooded area.

iWatch - is NEVER use this for a triathlon and probably not an endurance ride, it’s fragile.

I’ve had regret on my first Fenix... soon after, the 5 came out. I fell for the purchase of the 5 because it’s the newest version. Then there is talk on the 6 coming out.
Get a garmin, they are work horses.

I've used Garmin Forerunners (along with Vivofits) and while I liked them I've also pivoted to the Apple Watch. I'm on my 3rd one (currently have a v4, didn't have a compelling reason to upgrade to a 5) and in my experience it is far from fragile. Aside from taking it off to charge it I wear it all of the time. It's been in the Ocean, worn almost daily in the shower, and out for countless bike rides and other activities and I'm far from gentle with it. I absolutely love the way it integrates with the iPhone and IMO, it provides a ton of flexibility.

Not a knock on Garmin - I could see where that would be a good choice for some as well.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller