Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Am I dropping a video frame each time I take a photo?

PingSpike

Reaction score
Having only ever owned DJI craft so far, I was seriously chuffed that the Evo 2 can take photos while recording a video ?

However, upon watching the video back, either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or, the Evo is dropping a frame from the video every time I take a photo.

Are my eyes seeing things or am I losing a frame from the video each time I take a photo? ?

Was also disappointed to see that the photos take while recording a video are JPG only. No RAW ?

From my understanding when you take a photo while in video mode you are actually only taking a capture of the video and not a true photo. Kind of like you can do in any good video editor. It is possible the missing frame from the video is your Jpeg picture. (Screen capture)

You can also do this with a DJI drone and like the Evo 2, you lose a frame when taking a lower quality photo.

I've never been able to take a photo while recording a video on any of my DJI drones ?‍♂️

when you take a photo while in video mode you are actually only taking a capture of the video and not a true photo

Yeah that'd explain getting a JPG only and no DNG to go with it :/

Reactions: okestone
I've never been able to take a photo while recording a video on any of my DJI drones ?‍♂️

Yeah that'd explain getting a JPG only and no DNG to go with it :/
I do it all the time when doing Project Management. A photo speaks a thousand words, but when you are flying and recording video while taking photos, you can observe things on the video that never get captured on the photos. You simply start recording video and press the shutter button on the remote, not the app.

IMHO there is no frame missing in the video. Actually you can judge yourself. In the sample of a dynamic shot below on the left hand side there is a photo (post processed little bit that's why contrast and colors differ) next to paused video clip on the right hand side. It looks this is the very same frame:
1593635372240.png
Still the major drawback of this feature is JPG available only. Resolution of picture is the same as video resolution, too.

So, you may as well just pull a 4K screen grab from the video in post. I've done this many times to get the exact moment that is the most interesting.

Yes and by doing it in post you can zoom in on a 4K or even 8K if you have that with out losing any quality.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranga