Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Altitude and Range are limited.???

I reset my Ipad (I did Erase All Content and Settings) and did the manual setup. After setup was complete, I downloaded Starlink and I have the same exact problem...RH altitude is set at 98ft and cannot be changed. I checked the version and it still shows 11.2.2 so I guess even doing the Erase All doesn't uninstall updates.

I guess we just have to wait for Autel/Apple to fix the issue, but Autel doesn't seem to think it's their fault.

Well this is what I get for trying to help out :)
When I took the screenshot I forgot to turn it off. Was out this morning and flew out 98 feet and it stopped. WTF I said. Took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. LOL
My dumbass move for the day. :)

Thanks for the assist. Here is what I've done thus far:
  • A 'reset' is done if/when you remove the battery from the aircraft.
  • I was referring to the type of reset that rollback all settings pizza and said, "You all look like the 3 stooges scratching your collective heads". We were. Touche for them.
Bus, you are definitely doing all the right things and have covered all your bases. I think that, if I was you, I'd package everything up and send it to Autel and let them experience it first-hand. They are good people, and I think that you'd probably be doing both Autel and yourself the most good - to send the unit to them (including your controller).

By the way, have you tried 'binding' anyone else's controller to your aircraft and then seeing what happens with the replacement controller? That would be a good way to determine if the problem is in the controller or the aircraft.

Stay in touch with us and keep us informed as you find out what is happening. Situations like yours' are a learning experience for everyone. It's just too bad that it is happening to you.
My Best - Kent

Well this is what I get for trying to help out :)
When I took the screenshot I forgot to turn it off. Was out this morning and flew out 98 feet and it stopped. WTF I said. Took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. LOL
My dumbass move for the day. :)

Were you trying to solve my "Go Home" riddle?

Set the GHA to 200
Fly out 40ft from home point at 50ft high
Initiate Go Home

What happens?

ok, maybe I missed something but from what I saw, that wasn't the flight profile I'm looking for someone to test.

Go out 40ft from the home point
climb to 50ft
Press the Go Home button

what does your drone do?

I understand you have to weather the snow but your the only one who seems to want to play along. Let me know if you want to know what my 2 XSP's do. You don't even need an FPV device.

I reset my Ipad (I did Erase All Content and Settings) and did the manual setup. After setup was complete, I downloaded Starlink and I have the same exact problem...RH altitude is set at 98ft and cannot be changed. I checked the version and it still shows 11.2.2 so I guess even doing the Erase All doesn't uninstall updates.

I guess we just have to wait for Autel/Apple to fix the issue, but Autel doesn't seem to think it's their fault.
From what I understand, it's not Autel's fault. Apple broke a lot of stuff with all the chaos in pushing their recent IOS upgrades. The good news is that I heard in another thread somewhere that the next upgrade from Apple is in sight.

Updates anyone?

My Return Home height is set at 98ft and I can't change it. I can change the distance limit though. I contacted CS and here was the response:

"Is your iPad on the latest iOS? If yes, then the latest iOS is not fully integrating with our Starlink app. It is an issue that affects our apps settings as well as other components the iOS is not recognizing. It has affected not only our app but other companies as well. Apple is working on a fix, and I imagine that they are working hard to fix that since other companies apps are not working. We apologize for the inconvenience."

My Ipad is the latest version, which I updated to yesterday. But the altitude was stuck at 98ft before that, so it must have been the update before that. I hooked up my Asus Android tablet to the Autel and I can change the settings just fine so it is something wrong with the iOS version. I am going to try to reset my Ipad to factory default and see if it works. If so, hopefully I can keep from updating until Autel fixes the issue.
So My 2 XSP's are both ignoring any Go Home altitude I set. I think it a general firmware issue as I've heard numerous similar comments.

NOW - here's the 98ft issue as noted from Autel

IMPORTANT: For safety reasons, if the aircraft is hovering at an altitude lower than 30 meters when the Go Home function is activated, it will ascend to an altitude of 30 meters above the home point before starting to return home.

First of all, it's important to remember that all heights are relative to your take off point which is 0ft.

If you are flying at 60ft and press the Go Home button, the drone will climb to 30 meterss (98ft) and go home. It doesn't matter what your Go Home Altitude is set at (so it seems). This later point is a design flaw in my option, an arguement I am having with Autel currently.

So flying lower than 100ft limits you to go home at roughly that same altitude unless you manually fly higher. Hence, the Go Home feature is useless and in fact, could loose your drone.

There seem to be a number of issues here:

• The above statement from Autel explaining why 98ft (30 meters is 98ft)
  • The Go Home Altitudes don't work (at least from 5 XSP's I'm aware of)
  • There's a caviate to all of this. The Go Home feature won't initiate at all if your not further than 50 ft from the home point. Again, this is common to all 5 XSP's I tested. If you go out 40 ft (from the home point,for example) and initiate the Go Home feature, you drone will simply crash and burn. Just kidding. But rather than "Go Home", it simply descends and lands. Exactly where it's at at the moment. This could be a problem if your not paying attention.

Personally, I think the XSP should climb to the prescribed altitude as defined in the settings and "Go Home". End of story.

I always manually fly my bird and honestly, haven't really used the Go Home feature until recently.

Ok, I could be full of **** and have been flying at altitude without oxygen for too long. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it until someone proves me wrong. Please do

It's true you may be stuck in the IOS bug issue, but I'n not even using a FPV device IOS or otherwise for these tests.

Let me know if that explains your XSP's behavior or not. If so, your number 6

So My 2 XSP's are both ignoring any Go Home altitude I set. I think it a general firmware issue as I've heard numerous similar comments.

NOW - here's the 98ft issue as noted from Autel

IMPORTANT: For safety reasons, if the aircraft is hovering at an altitude lower than 30 meters when the Go Home function is activated, it will ascend to an altitude of 30 meters above the home point before starting to return home.

First of all, it's important to remember that all heights are relative to your take off point which is 0ft.

If you are flying at 60ft and press the Go Home button, the drone will climb to 30 meterss (98ft) and go home. It doesn't matter what your Go Home Altitude is set at (so it seems). This later point is a design flaw in my option, an arguement I am having with Autel currently.

So flying lower than 100ft limits you to go home at roughly that same altitude unless you manually fly higher. Hence, the Go Home feature is useless and in fact, could loose your drone.

There seem to be a number of issues here:

• The above statement from Autel explaining why 98ft (30 meters is 98ft)
  • The Go Home Altitudes don't work (at least from 5 XSP's I'm aware of)
  • There's a caviate to all of this. The Go Home feature won't initiate at all if your not further than 50 ft from the home point. Again, this is common to all 5 XSP's I tested. If you go out 40 ft (from the home point,for example) and initiate the Go Home feature, you drone will simply crash and burn. Just kidding. But rather than "Go Home", it simply descends and lands. Exactly where it's at at the moment. This could be a problem if your not paying attention.

Personally, I think the XSP should climb to the prescribed altitude as defined in the settings and "Go Home". End of story.

I always manually fly my bird and honestly, haven't really used the Go Home feature until recently.

Ok, I could be full of **** and have been flying at altitude without oxygen for too long. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it until someone proves me wrong. Please do

It's true you may be stuck in the IOS bug issue, but I'n not even using a FPV device IOS or otherwise for these tests.

Let me know if that explains your XSP's behavior or not. If so, your number 6

Ok, I tested your theory and you are 100% correct. I set RTH altitude to 200 feet, flew out 52 feet at 40 feet high, hit RTH and it ascended to 98 feet and returned home. Here's the controller screen video

OK
That makes no sense to me. You where at at 40 feet high, hit RTH and it ascended to 98 feet ???? whats with that ??

OK
That makes no sense to me. You where at at 40 feet high, hit RTH and it ascended to 98 feet ???? whats with that ??

You got me? I fully expected it to rise to 200 feet and return home.
So tried again, going out 328 feet at 72 feet high and it did as expected, ascended to 200 feet and returned home.

OK
It's straight out of the Autel documentation -

"IMPORTANT: For safety reasons, if the aircraft is hovering at an altitude lower than 30 meters when the Go Home function is activated, it will ascend to an altitude of 30 meters above the home point before starting to return home. "

30m = 98ft

I'm not saying it's right. I just wanted to have someone confirm what I was seeing on multiple XSP's

There's the other one I've sent to you Agustine to test. It makes no sense to me either. I think both are bugs and then there's the third one - Go Home Altitude is ignored

Well, I'm on the ORIGIONAL FW, and mine climbs to whatever I have the go home altitude set to, even if I'm 3 ft off the ground. On the other hand, all but one of my 14 batteries has stopped going home upon low battery warning, although I prefer that, after having one of my XSP's go up into tree branches, when I wasn't paying attention to the battery level, as I was close.

Well, I'm on the ORIGIONAL FW, and mine climbs to whatever I have the go home altitude set to, even if I'm 3 ft off the ground. On the other hand, all but one of my 14 batteries has stopped going home upon low battery warning, although I prefer that, after having one of my XSP's go up into tree branches, when I wasn't paying attention to the battery level, as I was close.
Thanks for the intel. CS has verified that the RTH feature is conditional (now). So I asked them "what are the conditions?" "Not sure but I will check with development and get back to you" was their reply. That was a week ago. yesterday they sent a follow up, "Still working on this." My point being, when they get back with how the XSP is intended to fly during RTH, we can all see if that's the case or not and give them feedback.

CAVU

I would think that the smartest way to do it, keeping it simple, would be to RTH at a default 400 ft, on loss of connection with the controller. And to simply have an alarm, (which they do, but make it louder) for low battery, and make the on screen alert very prominent... perhaps even requiring an acknowledgement from the pilot. Then, just letting the pilot decide what happens next. Either push RTH, fly home manually, or crash and burn. At least that way, you could get in the clear, before it rockets skyward, or get to a clear altitude, before it hauls azz in the horizontal plane.

Last edited:
OK, Here's the official reply from CS regarding the RTH feature. While there seems to be some variation among XSP's, the following table reflects the general behavior when RTH is selected. The response is conditional based on a combination of the distance from the Home Point and the Current Altitude of the XSP.

RTH Matrix.JPG

The assumption is that the current version of the firmware is installed.

I'm Wondering if it Has anything to do with the automatic upload to the flight data to the autels system storage

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy