Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Altitude and Range are limited.???

Saratoga1

Reaction score
I am limited to 98 feet altitude and maximum range is only 300ish feet. What setting is messed up?
I am not in beginner mode, I checked that.

I am limited to 98 feet altitude and maximum range is only 300ish feet. What setting is messed up?

You still need to set the altitude on that screen, even without Beginner Mode selected.

Last edited:
Saratoga, After you start Starlink and it has connected to the drone, go to setup (on Starlink) where you will be able to set both the altitude and distance. While you are at it, be sure to set the altitude that your drone flies at when it goes home by itself.

You still need to set the altitude on that screen, even without Beginner Mode selected.
I have the same problem and when I try to set my preferred parameters I get a brief message at the bottom of the screen that says “parameter configuration failed”.

I have the same problem and when I try to set my preferred parameters I get a brief message at the bottom of the screen that says “parameter configuration failed”.
You need the RC and drone hooked up to one another for it to take those settings.

Are you using iOS or Android?

I think ForeBird has your problem nailed down. This is a common message with the iOS problem with the App
“parameter configuration failed”

If they are not both on and connected it will not take either. It happened to me when I first got out of beginner mode.

I switched to Android because the latest update from Apple was the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I am now limited to 98' on both XSP's and either IOS or Android. CS is aware and frankly, doesn't believe me. So I sent them the flight log. Haven't heard back

I switched to Android because the latest update from Apple was the "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I am now limited to 98' on both XSP's and either IOS or Android. CS is aware and frankly, doesn't believe me. So I sent them the flight log. Haven't heard back
FYI - it behaves the same way whether or not I have a device connected or not. It's as if the default is "stuck" in the XSP's database regardless of the Starlink setting.

I tried to re-install the firmware thinking a "fresh start" might help. I just got the message "Firmware up to date". Is there a trick to accomplishing this?

No way to over ride a new install, sorry.
Seems funny two of you guys have this problem.
Let us know what CS comes up with if anything.
Only thing I can suggest is going over each Starlink setting and making sure something did not get changed somehow.

I'm thinking this got turned on somehow or is stuck on in the firmware. Only thing I can find that might be doing it.

View attachment 1807
My thoughts as well. My distance limit is turned off and the Go Home Altitude is set at 200'. I'm going to perform a series of short flights and change settings from on to off and vise versa. If something is logically "stuck", maybe I can use that approach to "un-stuck" it?

I'll let you know. Thanks

Not that I know of. :)
From what I was told the settings are stored in the X-Star and not the Starlink app. This allows you to use different phones or tablets and have the same settings.
The last time I was out I went to use ATTI mode. It has to be enabled in Starlink. When I tried to switch over to ATTI it would not go. Later looking over my settings in Starlink it was turned off. I never changed it. Just goes to show you strange things happen.
Hope you get it figured out.
You might have a hard time getting a return with CS till CES 2018 is over and they get back to normal.

• Sad
Reactions: GeoDrone SRL
Saratoga and Busdriver,
  • A 'reset' is done if/when you remove the battery from the aircraft.
  • If there is any question about the integrity of the firmware, then follow the instructions for doing a firmware update. Before doing the update, FORMAT the mini-SD card.
  • After doing a firmware update, make sure that you receive a 'Firmware Update Confirmation' on the LCD screen of the controller.
  • Next, are you calibrating the compass in the aircraft before flying it?
  • When you try to set altitude and distance settings in Starlink, are you able to get a confirmation that the settings were changed? If not, exactly what indications are you getting?
  • Do you find out that your distance/altitude are limited when you try to set those distances, or do you find out once you start flying the aircraft?
  • Try using a different battery as some settings are saved in the batteries.
Please try to accurately answer these questions as that helps us help you. Above all, stay in touch with Autel, as they know more about the aircraft than those of us on the forum do.

Thanks for the assist. Here is what I've done thus far:
  • A 'reset' is done if/when you remove the battery from the aircraft.
  • I was referring to the type of reset that rollback all settings to factory default.
  • If there is any question about the integrity of the firmware, then follow the instructions for doing a firmware update. Before doing the update, FORMAT the mini-SD card.
  • I did. In fact, I do it twice to make sure everything was captured (per Autel).
  • After doing a firmware update, make sure that you receive a 'Firmware Update Confirmation' on the LCD screen of the controller.
  • Yep, twice. The second time the message says "Firmware up to date"
  • Next, are you calibrating the compass in the aircraft before flying it?
  • Yep, After the firmware upgrade (per Autel). When I noticed this problem, I re-calibrated and re-bound the XSP and RC
  • When you try to set altitude and distance settings in Starlink, are you able to get a confirmation that the settings were changed? If not, exactly what indications are you getting?
  • No indications are given at the time the settings are changed other than an "APPLY" button appears. When pressed, it goes away and the selected value is displayed in a box
  • Do you find out that your distance/altitude are limited when you try to set those distances, or do you find out once you start flying the aircraft?
  • Upon flying. I have 2 XSP's, RC's FPV devices (IOS and Android). I made a matrix as a checklist to identify flight combinations in an attempt to find a common thread or the problem through process of elimination.
  • Try using a different battery as some settings are saved in the batteries.
  • Hmmmm, odd concecpt but I just went outside flew the backward with 3 different batteries. No Joy but I like the "outside of the box" thought.
Autel was my first "goto", No disrespect. They responded within 12 hours with "That's odd" and asked for more information. I complied and awaiting their next reply. I came here while I'm waiting for them. My fellow hanger rats also fly XSP's. I have tried using their RC's, cables and FPV devices and we have done a side-by-side settings comparison. We are all pilots of varying flavors - stunt, airshow, military (current and past), commercial, competitive racing (Reno and the Red Bull series.) So you can imagine our embarrassment when a couple of the ladies showed up with pizza and said, "You all look like the 3 stooges scratching your collective heads". We were. Touche for them.

Ok, maybe I missed something in the documentation. Maybe someone knows the answer already or may have to go fly to provide the answer. I don't want to bias the response.

What happens if you fly <50' from the home point and initiate a "Go Home"

Hint - give yourself some altitude like 50' before initiating the "Go Home."

In all the replies, not sure this came across. It's from the Autel manual.

IMPORTANT: For safety reasons, if the aircraft is hovering at an altitude lower than 30 meters when the Go Home function is activated, it will ascend to an altitude of 30 meters above the home point before starting to return home. You can adjust the Go Home altitude in the app under Settings > Flight Control Settings > Go Home Altitude.

30 meters is 98 ft.

I tested it and it seems to hold true. Under the above circumstances, it seems any Go Home Altitude set is ignored. That's concerning for obvious reasons and might be an "undocumented enhancement" aka bug or oversight at the least.

My issue is that even when the Go Home Altitude is set to say 200ft and I am hovering at 120ft when I initiate the Go Home, it doesn't climb. It simply comes home at 120 ft. Again, seems to ignore the Go Home Altitude.

My Return Home height is set at 98ft and I can't change it. I can change the distance limit though. I contacted CS and here was the response:

"Is your iPad on the latest iOS? If yes, then the latest iOS is not fully integrating with our Starlink app. It is an issue that affects our apps settings as well as other components the iOS is not recognizing. It has affected not only our app but other companies as well. Apple is working on a fix, and I imagine that they are working hard to fix that since other companies apps are not working. We apologize for the inconvenience."

My Ipad is the latest version, which I updated to yesterday. But the altitude was stuck at 98ft before that, so it must have been the update before that. I hooked up my Asus Android tablet to the Autel and I can change the settings just fine so it is something wrong with the iOS version. I am going to try to reset my Ipad to factory default and see if it works. If so, hopefully I can keep from updating until Autel fixes the issue.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy