Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

All my Evo 1 battery reported damage

hello and how will you take some pictures. I was dismantling my batteries today, unfortunately I damaged the PCB a bit. I hope it doesn't hurt her. unfortunately, I don't know what battery to buy

Attachments

• IMG_20210510_154009.jpg
    IMG_20210510_154009.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210510_154001.jpg
    IMG_20210510_154001.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
jeśli uda mi się naprawić baterię, dam każdemu instrukcję krok po kroku

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_214431.jpg
    IMG_20210608_214431.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210608_214440.jpg
    IMG_20210608_214440.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210608_215440.jpg
    IMG_20210608_215440.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210608_221045.jpg
    IMG_20210608_221045.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • Love
Reactions: Daniel Tao
Since my EVO was upgraded to V1.5.8, the first battery failure began to occur. After the next 3 months, all of my batteries showed battery damage warnings. I am using charging hub for charging. I have been using all the versions before V1.5.8 without any problems, only after upgrading v 1.5.8, it started until all the batteries showed damage. And also I found my battery will not automatically discharge since I upgraded to 1.5.8. Although I have set it to automatically discharge after 3 days, the battery is still fully charged after the past week.I found that starting from v1.3.3.25, the battery firmware has been updated. I tried to downgrade the EVO 1 and downgrade one of the damaged batteries to the previous battery firmware version. But unfortunately it has no effect. I have reason to believe that the latest V1.5.8 version may have some changes that may accelerate the aging of the battery or have bugs. Now I don't have any batteries to use, and I am very sad. Each of my batteries has been used about 30 times, and I don’t want to buy it again. Does anyone know how to replace the cells of the EVO1 battery? How to disassemble, thank you
I used my EVO in the Virgin Islands in 18' and 19' and used all three batteries in rotation maybe 10 to 20 cycles each then came home and stored the drone for one year. Took it out and now I have one battery showing the damage warning. Gee I hope my other two do not do what yours are doing. That sucks.

New development on my Damaged Battery message on controller. Two of the original batteries Evo 1 that I received the code on are no longer showing this message. After sitting unused and charged three times I still got the damaged message. I then charged again and left them behind when I went to fly with the others. Preparing for use tomorrow thinking to take my three good batteries I charged the two damaged batteries again, one over night and the other for 8 hours. I decides to check them in the chopper and to my surprise no Damaged Battery Message and 24+ minutes of flight time. Got the ready to fly message however I was in the house. Checked the other battery, same thing. All appears good. Still won't fly them tomorrow but Monday morning going to the artificial turf ball field to give them a low level test flight or even see if the motors start. I'm encouraged but already wrote them off as just. I was cursing Autel up and down and not even considering another Autel product in the future. We'll see.

Hi Jack,

I am from China, so maybe my English is not very good, hope you can understand it.

There are two ways to repair the battery:
1. Disassemble the damaged battery. Use the battery internal resistance tester to measure the each cells one by one, and group the cells with good performance( within 10 milliohms) into one group. Try to choose with the closest internal resistance and group it with 3S.
This method is the fastest and simplest way, according to my experience, it is impossible for all cells in one battery to be damaged, usually only 1-2 cells are damaged. This way you don't need any materials or spending, but the premise is that you must have a lithium battery internal resistance tester. After the assembly is complete, the voltage of each cell may be different. You have 2 ways to balance them again. 1) Put the repaired battery into the drone and turn it on until the drone runs out of power. Put it in the charger for charging, and let the BMS chips recalculate and balance the voltage of each cell several times. Until your drone no longer prompts that the battery is damaged. 2) If you have a balance charger, that will be faster. You only need to perform a balance charge on the repaired battery and it's over.

2. Replace all the battery cells, this is the safest and best way. After my measurement, the size of the autel evo cell is about 85 x 45 x 9mm. The cell with this size and capacity that you can buy on the market is the fimi x8 se 2020 4500ma cell. Its size is 78x48x8.9mm, and its length is a bit shorter than the original battery cell of autel, but you can find a way to fix it. With this method, there is nothing to say, just replace it. The new battery cell is already at the storage voltage and balanced at 3.8V when you bought it back, So you don’t need to do anything, just replace the original battery cell of autel. After the replacement, same as method 1 put the battery into the drone and turn it on until the drone runs out of power. Charging again and let the BMS chips learn the data with the new cells. If the estimated flight time it display less than 20 mins, please repeat charge and discharge several times. Please note that you must discharge the battery until it automatic shut-down. You will see a voltage lower than 3.4V. Don’t worry about battery damage. Because the cut-off protection voltage of the BMS chip is 3.3V, the battery will be automatically powered off. If you can't buy the same size of battery cells in your country you can find another, but must be 4.35v LiHV. Fimi x8se battery cell in china only needs around 3.82USD per cell, so 3s totally 11.46 USD.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the steps to disconnect the battery. Disconnect the positive pole first, then pull out the balance plug, and then disconnect the negative pole.
When putting it back, connect the negative pole first, then plug in the balance plug, then connect the positive pole.

Hope you can succeed too, and let autel evo1 reborn.
Can you provide part number and a source to buy replacement cells?

Reactions: sacrcflyer
This is some of the most hopeful news I've seen in a long time on this forum. Thank you Daniel for posting your findings. Great work. Are there any updates on this method? Any updates on where to purchase the individual cells that will fit in the battery case? I had the impression that the standard battery charger that comes with the basic EVO package would balance charge the battery. With all those contacts on the battery connector I thought it was balance charging but perhaps it is not. Anyone have a comment on that?

Any chance someone could provide pictures or better yet a video on how to take apart the case and remove the old battery? 8 batteries and all but 2 are dead. 6 of the 8 have less than 12 cycles. Way to go autel. How about Autel cough up the battery manufacturer in China so we could buy direct?

New development on my Damaged Battery message on controller. Two of the original batteries Evo 1 that I received the code on are no longer showing this message. After sitting unused and charged three times I still got the damaged message. I then charged again and left them behind when I went to fly with the others. Preparing for use tomorrow thinking to take my three good batteries I charged the two damaged batteries again, one over night and the other for 8 hours. I decides to check them in the chopper and to my surprise no Damaged Battery Message and 24+ minutes of flight time. Got the ready to fly message however I was in the house. Checked the other battery, same thing. All appears good. Still won't fly them tomorrow but Monday morning going to the artificial turf ball field to give them a low level test flight or even see if the motors start. I'm encouraged but already wrote them off as just. I was cursing Autel up and down and not even considering another Autel product in the future. We'll see.
I also had two original EVO 1 batteries report damaged as soon as I powered up, even though all their LEDs tested green. I tried pressing the test button for 30secs and then charging them for a full 24 hours but they still reported damaged. I eventually got them both working by holding down the test button for 60secs and then leaving them charging for at least 48 hours. Since then, both batteries have behaved normally and given optimal flight time for the last several months.

Autel didn't offer me any help or advice whatsoever. Maybe it suits them if some EVO 1 owners think they must replace their drone.

Reactions: Antonello
Daniel, thanks a lot.
I take your advice and open all my bad evo batt. now, will replace the bad cell then!
I'm from hk too.
If you succeed, will you please come back on here and show us step by step how you did it? I also thank Daniel Tao for his EXCELLENT work in showing us how to get started. Thank you Daniel!

Reactions: Antonello
Any chance someone could provide pictures or better yet a video on how to take apart the case and remove the old battery? 8 batteries and all but 2 are dead. 6 of the 8 have less than 12 cycles. Way to go autel. How about Autel cough up the battery manufacturer in China so we could buy direct?
9810448D-207F-469C-9AFB-2CBC78940EF6.jpeg
Case pops apart very easily. Haven’t found replacement cells yet.

It is still my theory that the batteries are not DAMAGED but perhaps the cells are a little out of balance. Autel admits that if the firmware detects that the cells are more than .05 percent different voltage from each other then the firmware considers them as damaged and will prevent flight. In my opinion that tolerance is WAY TOO TIGHT. There is still plenty of life left for safe flights if that tolerance could be changed and opened up a little. I don't know where that firmware resides, in the aircraft, in the battery, in the controller or in the APP. Sure would be nice if someone who is a software expert could create a little hack that gives a little wider range of allowable cell voltage difference. But in the mean time it appears that Daniel Tao is having some success remedying this issue on the hardware side by replacing cells with matched sets.

Reactions: moodman
It is still my theory that the batteries are not DAMAGED but perhaps the cells are a little out of balance. Autel admits that if the firmware detects that the cells are more than .05 percent different voltage from each other then the firmware considers them as damaged and will prevent flight. In my opinion that tolerance is WAY TOO TIGHT. There is still plenty of life left for safe flights if that tolerance could be changed and opened up a little. I don't know where that firmware resides, in the aircraft, in the battery, in the controller or in the APP. Sure would be nice if someone who is a software expert could create a little hack that gives a little wider range of allowable cell voltage difference. But in the mean time it appears that Daniel Tao is having some success remedying this issue on the hardware side by replacing cells with matched sets.
Yes, Daniel deserves our thanks for getting this VERY important conversation started. I don't think a firmware hack is possible unless you can get your hands on the original code, and I don't think Autel will provide that.

OK guys, you need to watch this video. It gives me the creeps to think that manufacturers actually program their BMS (battery management system) to sabotage your battery pack after a certain number of charge cycles and/or cause the BMS to die if it detects that you are trying to rebuild the battery pack with new cells. This is very disturbing. The video is a little long (19 or so minutes) so if you want to skip the attempts of rebuilding several battery packs (unsuccessfully) and want to just hear about the BMS sabotage efforts then skip to around 13 minutes.

OK guys, you need to watch this video. It gives me the creeps to think that manufacturers actually program their BMS (battery management system) to sabotage your battery pack after a certain number of charge cycles and/or cause the BMS to die if it detects that you are trying to rebuild the battery pack with new cells. This is very disturbing. The video is a little long (19 or so minutes) so if you want to skip the attempts of rebuilding several battery packs (unsuccessfully) and want to just hear about the BMS sabotage efforts then skip to around 13 minutes.
Well, yes, it might be happening with Evo cells, but I don't think so, since some on here have been able to replace individual cells and the BMS didn't mess up. But it was interesting to see that this guy had good equipment and he still had trouble welding the batteries. Do you think the Evo 1 batteries would present this kind of danger if we try to replace them?

Well, yes, it might be happening with Evo cells, but I don't think so, since some on here have been able to replace individual cells and the BMS didn't mess up. But it was interesting to see that this guy had good equipment and he still had trouble welding the batteries. Do you think the Evo 1 batteries would present this kind of danger if we try to replace them?
Hello everybody
a friend of mine solved the evo1 battery problem by replacing the internal cells with the Gens battery cells same voltage same amps
above the link where he got the battery
after the transplant she got 25 minutes of flight no problem everything perfect

Hello everybody
a friend of mine solved the evo1 battery problem by replacing the internal cells with the Gens battery cells same voltage same amps
above the link where he got the battery
after the transplant she got 25 minutes of flight no problem everything perfect

Does replacing the Evo cells require welding, or soldering? Does anyone know step by step how to do this?

Also, your link shows batteries that won't fit in the Evo pack. Is that the right link?

Does replacing the Evo cells require welding, or soldering? Does anyone know step by step how to do this?

Also, your link shows batteries that won't fit in the Evo pack. Is that the right link?
the replacement requires desoldering old cells and soldering new cells
the battery that I posted you have to open it unsolder the 3 cells and solder them in the evo 1 battery casing

For those of you who successfully replaced the batteries, a video or step by step instructions would be incredibly helpful. I'm sure many Autel 1 owners would greatly appreciate it.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d