Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Airspace Authorization

First thing I tell any client about is to find out whether the location where the flying is needed is in a controlled airspace and to make sure one has the authorization 90 days in advance, etc., or else it may not happen.

Dude, I am so sorry, that sucks so hard.

If this is standard operating procedure I am totally screwed on this job (still waiting, 76 days now) and I will lose some serious face with my client who will have to wait up to ANOTHER 90 days. Or...maybe they'll just hire someone who doesn't care about the law?! :mad:

It's completely and utterly ridiculous. It would mean they're forcing us to wait 90 days to do a job. Because if we set start time 90 days out on a job that could be done at any point the authorization still won't be active until that start time, even if it is approved earlier.
...AND...what if that day finally comes and it rains all day or the winds are 30 mph...hopefully the system will be streamlined soon.

Dude; I can't believe your auth hasn't come thru yet. :-( :-( Somehow, it only took them 35 days to deny mine. :-(

That's *exactly* what's going to happen...and is already happening. It may have just happened to me on a different job (that didn't need authorization). If they post pictures/video, and if I determine that the pilot is who I think it is (a non-107 hobbiest), I'm going to turn in both the pilot and the company that hired the pilot. Nothing will come of it, I'm sure, and money will have already changed hands, but I'll feel better about it.
...hopefully something would come out of it. It's like putting a speed trap along the highway. Most people seem to act as thought the speed limit is the minimum speed. If a cop stops a couple of them and makes an example others will notice. The FAA is busy, but one thing government agencies hate is people skipping out on paying their dues or bowing down to their authority. If the FAA can make it hard on us who are playing by the rules then they can do the same with those ignoring the rules too.

As an update, I suppose I was "angry" too soon. For grins I replied to the "do not reply" email that I got and asked which request was being denied, as I have several in the works. They actually replied, and sent me the full text of my request. I actually requested it on 4-26 (52 days!!), but I requested a date of 4-29. I was sure I'd requested a 2 year authorization, but I apparently did not; just the one day, that of course was 49 days too late by the time they got to the request.

I mean, it's still completely insane that it takes them 52 days to get to a request. Even more ludicrous is the response they gave me: "When resubmitting, please make your end date 6 months out from your start date. This will ensure your application is not cancelled for the same reason." That's a *great* answer to fixing the problem. o_O

Reactions: brian bwin
Crickets.....8 weeks and not a peep from the FAA. This is starting to get ridiculous. It's tough to get any work when the whole city is in class D airspace :-(

Crickets.....8 weeks and not a peep from the FAA. This is starting to get ridiculous. It's tough to get any work when the whole city is in class D airspace :-(

Right!? I have now reached 92 days and 55 days on my open requests. Emailed them again about the 92 day one, not that it will do any good. Emailed my client to keep her posted and she said she is experiencing similar delays at 3 other locations across the country....something is very wrong when routine requests by licensed pilots are getting held up this long :mad:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hippo35