Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Aircraft Avoidance? I had no idea!

I'm thinking that when you tried to move horizontally, it was towards the detected aircraft or bird. Down was the only safe move allowed. That's assuming that there is some way for the background app to warn you and the flight control system of another aircraft or bird in the vicinity. We need to hear more about this.

Reactions: tvwxman
Hi MSAllen, this is Eric, I replaced Mike McKay in 1993 if that's who you were thinking of. Thanks for the heads up on your club, what time do you meet?
I'm sorry I typed the wrong name by accident... I also remember Mike McKay, but I was fairly young then. The drone meet-ups are at 10am until about noon every Saturday, weather permitting. Usually only a small crowd of 5-15 pilots but always fun to see the different drones and nostalgic to fly over what's left of the old baseball stadium grounds. I attended many baseball games there growing up in Fort Mill.

I've been an Evo owner for quite some time and I am 100% sure there is no Avoidance system installed on the Evo 1, Evo 2 Pro any Autel drones nor is there anything installed like ADS-B on the Explorer App. I have no idea how this happened. When you have the obstacle avoidance turned on the drone becomes reluctant to move if there is something close by but a helicopter?? Interesting. UFO??

I'm sorry I typed the wrong name by accident... I also remember Mike McKay, but I was fairly young then. The drone meet-ups are at 10am until about noon every Saturday, weather permitting. Usually only a small crowd of 5-15 pilots but always fun to see the different drones and nostalgic to fly over what's left of the old baseball stadium grounds. I attended many baseball games there growing up in Fort Mill.

No problem! Thanks for the additional details, I will try and make that one of these Saturdays, thanks for the tip!

I've been an Evo owner for quite some time and I am 100% sure there is no Avoidance system installed on the Evo 1, Evo 2 Pro any Autel drones nor is there anything installed like ADS-B on the Explorer App. I have no idea how this happened. When you have the obstacle avoidance turned on the drone becomes reluctant to move if there is something close by but a helicopter?? Interesting. UFO??

Sure, but as said, it went beyond just being reluctant to move, there was a clear message that popped up on my Autel Explorer app that clearly stated "Aircraft Nearby". There is no doubt in my mind I saw that!

So I'm watching a video posted on this forum and I suddenly noticed the message below. Is that what you were referring to @tvwxman ?
20200910_004437.jpg

At the time of that message, the app being used is DJI Fly, so I know it isn't by Autel. I also know DJI never uses orange in any of their fonts. My conclusion is, that message was displayed by an app running in the background. As to which app it was, I don't know, since I've never encountered it before.

So I'm watching a video posted on this forum and I suddenly noticed the message below. Is that what you were referring to @tvwxman ?
View attachment 8430

At the time of that message, the app being used is DJI Fly, so I know it isn't by Autel. I also know DJI never uses orange in any of their fonts. My conclusion is, that message was displayed by an app running in the background. As to which app it was, I don't know, since I've never encountered it before.

No, that is the font color from DJI Fly, at least on Android. Here is a screenshot of an error I had on my MA2.

Screenshot_20200715-204102.png

View attachment 8430

wow, ok maybe we can run the dji app while flying the autel and still get the warning messages with the ma2 on the ground?

Thing is, I still don't know how the DJI app knew there was a manned aircraft near the drone. I verified the Mavic Air 2 specifications and it does not contain ADS-B or anything similar. If DJI found a way to identify a nearby airplane without installing anything to the drone, then Autel should be able to do the same. No?

Thing is, I still don't know how the DJI app knew there was a manned aircraft near the drone. I verified the Mavic Air 2 specifications and it does not contain ADS-B or anything similar. If DJI found a way to identify a nearby airplane without installing anything to the drone, then Autel should be able to do the same. No?

ok. in america, the ma2 has ads-b and I get those warnings all the time. I will check it out the next time I am flying to see if the drone needs to be on, not sure at this point.

ok. in america, the ma2 has ads-b and I get those warnings all the time. I will check it out the next time I am flying to see if the drone needs to be on, not sure at this point.
I was looking into the specifications for the MA2 at the DJI website and it doesn't say anywhere about the AirSense. I know DJI said last year they would be including it in all their 2020 drones, but that was in hopes the FAA would make that their standard. The FAA simply gave DJI the middle finger and created Remote ID for the rest of us.

The Mavic Air 2 does have ADS-B. You can turn it on or off. Also when it gives you the warning it says it in Chinese lol. I just turned it off. This is a picture of the arm on mine.
View media item 143

Reactions: Ansia and PingSpike
The message that popped up on my Autel Explorer app looked nothing like the samples posted above, thanks for posting those. They were contained within the same standard-looking orange *boxes* (not fonts) that the Explorer App reveals when wanting the pilot to know something.

Im falling behind on the drone world.
You're getting old!!! ?
I actually had to take a picture of my drone because I couldn't find any online with the same thing printed on the arm.

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
Im falling behind on the drone world.
on the ma2 it's only been out for a few months and as others have said, it's pretty awesome. I am in an area where there are few flights but frequent news and hospital helicopters and pretty much every single aircraft that crosses nearby sets off my alerts (without the Chinese) and what is most cool is the maps will show the aircraft speed and direction realtime; you can see the news helicopter flying alongside the freeway...and this is long before you see or hear the helicopter. probably because I have my sensitivity on the highest setting. would be nice if this were available to evo.

Reactions: Ansia and Tufargon
Only the US version of the MA2 have the ADS-B in. Versions not sold in the US do not. It's also on board the aircraft I believe, not in the app...

Reactions: Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy